All-Star Are Some Cheer Parents Just Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sound like you were trying to do your best and the best for your CP.

No harm in that. It's great you can both look back on the good parts of that time.

I have to say and Im being very honest here. My daughter is out of cheerleading now but I have to admitte I think I was one of those parents that felt like I had to be in the loop of everything that happened on her teams and in the gym.And to tell the truth I would rather of not known what was going on but some how you can get sucked in to the whole thing . As I sit and think back I know I was one of those parents who was crazy and forced my daughter to go to the gym for extra tumble lessons, or stunting lessons or what ever she needed or I thought that she needed, but at the time I did not think that I was pushing here in a bad way I just wanted her to be the best that she could. Thinking back now would I change the way I was HECK YA . In a way I think she stopped liking cheer as much because I did push her , but at the same time I think it did make her a stronger person in the end. Would I take back all the fun we had and the memories we shared as Mother and Daugherty NO but if I did it again I know as a parent I would change they way I acted and pushed her.

I respect your honesty; and, you are right that it is easy to get sucked in. Cheerleading is often an all encompassing competitive sport (ooppss, did I just say sport?) and that competitiveness sits in many parents as well. It is great that you feel the memories outweigh anything else.

I respect your honesty; and, you are right that it is easy to get sucked in. Cheerleading is often an all encompassing competitive sport (ooppss, did I just say sport?) and that competitiveness sits in many parents as well. It is great that you feel the memories outweigh anything else.

The memories will always outweigh it all , someday when she has kids we can sit and laugh at some of the crazy things we did and the places we have been and say we really enjoyed ever minute of it. I think she also learned from me how not to be the say way when its her turn to be involved parent . Ohhh and Yes you did call it a sport .

Just an FYI - I know this is not how you intended it, but on another thread a parent let us know that "window licker" can be used as a derogatory term towards the mentally handicapped. So I would respectfully suggest not using it.

An alternative someone used was a Garfield Mom (as in stuck to the window):p I love that.

ill never forget this, i was at a competition this past season and a younger girl.. she must have been like 6 at MOST and she was like hysterical crying after her team did prelims and right before they went on the finals floor (this comp did prelims and finals in the same day) and i heard the little girl go " my tummy hurts mommy" and the mom said "stop f@(&*#g crying, youre competing in 10 minutes. deal with it!" iii felt so bad for her!!!!!!! parents definitely take it WAAAYYY to serious.

ill never forget this, i was at a competition this past season and a younger girl.. she must have been like 6 at MOST and she was like hysterical crying after her team did prelims and right before they went on the finals floor (this comp did prelims and finals in the same day) and i heard the little girl go " my tummy hurts mommy" and the mom said "stop f@(&*#g crying, youre competing in 10 minutes. deal with it!" iii felt so bad for her!!!!!!! parents definitely take it WAAAYYY to serious.

Disgusting and abusive.

Lol I was born and raised in Texas, but the crazy characters you see at the competitions here, never seem to fail to shock me.

Well tell Billy to stop giving us pizza parties for being crazy and us Texas parents will tone it down! lol
Seriously...I wear a purple and white bow for comps (not a 3 inch)...does that make me crazy?

Just an FYI - I know this is not how you intended it, but on another thread a parent let us know that "window licker" can be used as a derogatory term towards the mentally handicapped. So I would respectfully suggest not using it.

An alternative someone used was a Garfield Mom (as in stuck to the window):p I love that.

Noted, and no harm intended. I've never heard that term before I saw it there. And, @Hi-Phlyer21 , I bet if you called them "Garfields," they'd never get it!!

@Mamarazzi - I had never heard the term either until seeing it on the thread about the cheer shows on lifetime and thought it was hilarious and couldn't wait to use it at the gym. Then the parent came on telling us about the other meaning.

@Mamarazzi - I had never heard the term either until seeing it on the thread about the cheer shows on lifetime and thought it was hilarious and couldn't wait to use it at the gym. Then the parent came on telling us about the other meaning.

Gotcha. I didn't see the latter post. Totally didn't mean to offend anyone!

there is a fine line between passion and crazy!! can you imagine what some of these folks are like in other aspects of their life? or do they save all the craziness for cheer?? We've been involved in cheer since my daughter was 4, we love it, its a good bonding for us and we've made some friends for life!! the crazies? Tune them out, turn and walk away!! SO not worth your time!!

Mine doesn't like it when I cheer too loud or show too much emotion. She wants me to keep my distance from the gym and at competitions. I went to every competition thinking she really did not care whether I was there or not. I went because I wanted to be there. This year when I said I might not make a competition she told me she always looks for me in the crowd and wanted me there. Seeing me helped calm her down. I never knew. Knowing she wanted me there all along was really special. She drew the line years ago, I respected that and was rewarded with a happy, successful cheerleader.

My mother is a very "passionate" cheer mom. She is very involved in my gym's booster club, my skills, and how my team did at competition. She would always take notes on what other teams in our division did and on how she thought we did. Let me tell you she was BRUTALLY honest. However, I am extremely grateful for his pushing me to do my best. She would tell me when I did terrible and I needed to hear. I know that I don't to hear "oh, you did well" when we bombed on the floor. But it also made me know that when she did congratulate and become super excited when we did well I knew it was sincere. And this wasn't just cheerleading, she did when I competed in gymnastics for 14 years. I think her competitive spirit and constant pushing and support overall made me a better person and cheerleader. I am very grateful for it and I love my mommy :)

I will admit, I have caught myself being the insane cheer mom. Caught up in the drama, and pushing my daughter. I never meant to push her for anything other than to see her try. I know my daughter and I know when she wants something, she has an insatiable determination, when she doesn't feel like it, she doesn't bother. I expect her to at least try, even when she's "not in the mood". She's young (9) but very intelligent, and can see what's happening, even if her emotions don't match. Her and I have discussed things when I stepped back and realized how it seemed to her. We've come to an understanding-I keep myself in check and she'll do her best to give her best effort. We have seen both ends of the spectrum-girls who want it so bad, but parents couldn't care less, and those who like to cheer, but their parents push and push and push until them until they end up miserable and anxiety ridden. I never want my daughter to resent me like that. I WILL always be that mom with the huge sign, bow in hair, chanting the loudest at competitions, but I will never, nor have ever, chastise her because she made a mistake. My cp does love the fact that I'm embarrassing in that way-I've been told by her that she looks for my sign, it's helps her feel supported. Bottom line is this-I think there's a good crazy and then pageant mom (or dad) crazy. As long as your cp feels it's benefitting them, then continue doing it. They're the whole reason you're there in the first place! If they don't like it, or they're only getting stressed, then things need to change-and parents need to realize sometimes it's THEM who has to change, just like I did.

yes some parents are just TOOO MUCCCHH .. and think that us coaches "could of done this and should have done that" .. and blah blah blah .. enough is enough let us do our job and you do yours by SUPPORTING your child !

Back