All-Star Are Some Cheer Parents Just Too Much?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No I haven't seen it all, and I don't want too! I've had my fair share of crazy cheer moms, and they make it miserable for everyone! My first year coaching there were so many I had inherited from the past coach that I almost quit. 7 gung-ho crazy cheer moms ganging up on a new coach = horrible experience! This year (knock on wood) I don't have any... yet! There are still 2 from years past though that like to pop up and still try to create drama. Get a life and move on - you aren't even a part of the program anymore! Some I think are seriously crazy. No really actually all kidding aside need a straight jacket and padded room CRAZY.

this happened to me last season. A mom had a lot to say about me, and she would talk about me in front of other girls on my team. one of them told me in warmups about what she had been saying... needless to say i was furious. i mean, i talk about other people on my teams when i'm mad/frustrated but my mom would NEVER repeat what i say, especially in front of my teammates! we competed and i stormed off the floor bawling. i finally found my mom and i was ready to RIP into this other mother... my mom had to physically hold me back so i wouldnt scream at her in the middle of the competition arena! i was really upset so i told my coach and he said he would handle it. after we told the gym owners about all the nonsense they said they would make our practices closed to parents. that never happened and this other mother didnt apologize... needless to say we found a new gym for this year.

athletes will always talk about their teammates. were all guilty of it. but when a parent starts talking about someone on the team in a negative way... that crosses the line. its disrespectful and just makes you look like a sorry excuse for a human being.
I totally agree it hasn't happened to me that I know of... but I always hear about this situation!! IMO it makes me wonder why an adult would act like a child gossiping about kids younger than you, dont you have better things to do, it is soo immature !!

Ok just a thought to add to the discussion...

Do you think gym owners / coaches contribute to the crazy?

Not that I ever would blame a coach / owner for someone else's behavior. But how many times does the said "crazy mom" get her way (or at least a compromise?). As an involved, but hopefully far from crazy, mom it sucks to watch coaches / owners cave even a little to the crazy mom (and it seems even then it backfires.). I get owners are trying to run a business and that there are always going to be the crazy sports parents. But for the sake of the rest of us non crazies, I would SO love to see a crazy parent shut down. :)

And it isn't that it even happens very frequently, but just enough to breed the crazy parent mentality.

Not that I ever would blame a coach / owner for someone else's behavior. But how many times does the said "crazy mom" get her way (or at least a compromise?). As an involved, but hopefully far from crazy, mom it sucks to watch coaches / owners cave even a little to the crazy mom (and it seems even then it backfires.). I get owners are trying to run a business and that there are always going to be the crazy sports parents. But for the sake of the rest of us non crazies, I would SO love to see a crazy parent shut down. :)

And it isn't that it even happens very frequently, but just enough to breed the crazy parent mentality.

I think that coaches and gym owners sometimes feel they are doing a good thing by making a compromise to keep Susie at the gym and keep her parents happy.

What I am sure lots of us feel is that if they stand their ground, stick to their rules and let Susie's mom walk out the door with Susie in hand we respect them more.

gooodness yes! there are tons of amazing parents out there.. but sometimes i see parents yelling at their children for making even the tiniest mistake.. i know that they expect alot but it kinda takes all the fun out of the sport:)
but that is just my opinion,..

I agree with you, and will go as far as saying that there are coaches/owners who are the ones who pit the parents and athletes against one another. I have had personal experience to this effect, and I know of of families who were subjected to being bad mouthed by someone in charge of a gym. The coach in charge would say one thing to one parent or athlete, then something else to another parent, and so on. That person would also claim to one parent that another parent had spoken poorly of such and such family. At times, entire families would dislike each other, and all they knew was that it was based on a 'supposed' claim by a coach in charge. Very ugly, and just as offensive in nature as when it is a parent, if not worse, as the coaches and owners are expected to be leaders and examples.

our viewing area used to be completely open to the gym with windows and this past summer the wall that was open to the most of the gym was covered and they put mirrors over it. so now there's just the one wall that faces the very first floor which is just mats that no one uses unless there's someone doing a private with a HS kid and teams are practicing. the parents would yell at their kids all the time during practices distracting them and stressing them out. they put up blind s and it was like nothing was even there they poked through them i think they actually like broke so the wall helped alot. lol. altho there are still those parents i want to hit every time i'm there for walking into the gym and standing/sitting by the cubbies trying to watch their kid... the sign clearly says athletes only in the gym... ugh.
like we go for a quick water break and you see parents running away from the door because they were just glued to it trying to see in the gym.. or the ones that stand there til you just about try walking through them.. lol

altho there are still those parents i want to hit every time i'm there for walking into the gym and standing/sitting by the cubbies trying to watch their kid... the sign clearly says athletes only in the gym... ugh.
like we go for a quick water break and you see parents running away from the door because they were just glued to it trying to see in the gym..

As seen somewhere on the board - these parents are called "Window Lickers."

T.WeatherGirl said:
yes and no. there are some cool cja dads with awesome hair;)

Hair... THAT'S the secret!

I have to say and Im being very honest here. My daughter is out of cheerleading now but I have to admitte I think I was one of those parents that felt like I had to be in the loop of everything that happened on her teams and in the gym.And to tell the truth I would rather of not known what was going on but some how you can get sucked in to the whole thing . As I sit and think back I know I was one of those parents who was crazy and forced my daughter to go to the gym for extra tumble lessons, or stunting lessons or what ever she needed or I thought that she needed, but at the time I did not think that I was pushing here in a bad way I just wanted her to be the best that she could. Thinking back now would I change the way I was HECK YA . In a way I think she stopped liking cheer as much because I did push her , but at the same time I think it did make her a stronger person in the end. Would I take back all the fun we had and the memories we shared as Mother and Daugherty NO but if I did it again I know as a parent I would change they way I acted and pushed her.

Back