OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Okay Sanne Wevers with that upgraded dismount... I wish she had kept the side aerial + side aerial + front aerial combination though:

That triple turn still gives me so much life. Also, that L-turn + single turn + double turn + split leap combination is insane. The Kotchetkova was a little wonky though, her hips are usually squared to the beam when she does it.

Last edited:
If Simone were age eligible in 2012, she would not have made the London team. She was a decidedly average gymnast at that point. (She also should be the poster child for sports psychology.)

I don't understand why Gabby came back--she doesn't have anything to prove. She looks miserable out there. That being said, I'd still consider her a good chance for making Rio.

Prediction time: Simone, Aly, Laurie, Maggie, Alyssa Baumann

Alternates: Brenna Dowell and Ragan Smith

I agree and disagree with this statement, I think, Gabby is finally coming to the realization that the Rio Olympics is not going to be about her and will be the final coronation of Simone Biles, the Royal Highness of gymnastics...

The history books will remember Gabby's achievements, being the first Black AA, but there is that big ? now, had Simone was a little older, would Gabby achieved her accomplishments... I still LOVE Gabby, but unfortunately, she is a witness, to seeing history in the making... Simone may walk away from this Rio Olympics with 5 gold medals...Wow!

PS: Last time this domination occurred was with Olga Korbut and Nadia Comaneci, I still remembered the same look Gabby is displaying towards Simone, Olga Korbut had that same look toward Nadia Comaneci...js!
I'm not sure why you are making this a race thing....js

I'm not sure why you are making this a race thing....js
No, I am sorry if you believed that I am making this a race issue, which I am not... I guess because I am AA, I am personally speaking as an AA and watching this situation unfold... No, I am definitely not making this a race issue at all...

PS: I can already imagine the conversations that will be had in my neighborhood beauty salons, barbershops and the July 4th Cookouts in my neighborhood, that's all!!!!

Furthermore, I compared this similar situation to 1976 Olympics, when Olga Korbut went in as the darling of gymnastics and had to sit there and witnessed Nadia Comanecia changed the whole sport... It had to been shocking to this gymnast(Korbut) and I personally feeling the same thing is happening again, that's all...I know this is not racial, at all!

What is the problem with mentioning the fact Gabby is a black woman? America never has an issue mentioning race when its something negative yet it becomes so touchy when mentioning one's accomplishments.
There isn't, but that wasn't the point of what I took from her post. She has further explained her post. I personally disagree with the part of your statement which is bolded, but not looking to get into an argument about it.

I miss the happy, smiley Gabby from the 2012 process. BUT, she was a child then. A baby so to speak. I honestly think she was so good and so successful because she didn't know any better. 4 years later, she's no longer a child. She's a woman full grown, with all the weight of knowledge (and family) on her shoulders. She knows what's at stake, and what making/not making the team means. Watching The Ranch, you could see the old Gabby was still in there, while she was laughing and talking to the other girls. She needs someone to shake her out of this "serious Gabby"...she's not as much fun to watch and her gymnastics suffers.

There isn't, but that wasn't the point of what I took from her post. She has further explained her post. I personally disagree with the part of your statement which is bolded, but not looking to get into an argument about it.
Obviously there was enough of a problem for you to bring it up in the first place, but k.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the fact that Gabby was the first black gymnast to win gold in AA the historically aspect of her achievement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss the happy, smiley Gabby from the 2012 process. BUT, she was a child then. A baby so to speak. I honestly think she was so good and so successful because she didn't know any better. 4 years later, she's no longer a child. She's a woman full grown, with all the weight of knowledge (and family) on her shoulders. She knows what's at stake, and what making/not making the team means. Watching The Ranch, you could see the old Gabby was still in there, while she was laughing and talking to the other girls. She needs someone to shake her out of this "serious Gabby"...she's not as much fun to watch and her gymnastics suffers.

This this this. She looks so miserable out there. Even when she does well and it makes me wonder why are you coming back. Even Aly who you can tell is even more serious this Olympic cycle still looks like she's enjoying herself. And Gabby's interviews this time around are so cringeworthy and awkward

Making a repeat run at an Olympic team is significantly more stressful than a first-time attempt, right?

Most gymnasts are one and done.

I can see why she is stressed.

Nobody wants to make an attempt to repeat and end up pulling a Nastia (for example.)

When Mykayla came down on that beam (the second time) I died and felt her pain.

Oh and yes. The fact that gabby is black contributes to her legacy and her place in gymnastics history and black history. If she had been white she would have just been the 3rd American gymnast in a row to win AA. Bringing that up isn't making it about race, but acknowledging something that may be weighing heavily on her (and it shouldn't).

I hope she gets her life because I would love to see Simone-Laurie- and Gabby on a team together

At the end of the day, as tragic as Gabby's performance was, she's still one of the best. We know what she's capable of and we know what she's produced this year alone so to give up on her now is just silly. We can root for Maggie but Gabby isn't worth it?

But I mean. I guess.

And Gabby's interviews this time around are so cringeworthy and awkward

Gabby looks happier in the usa gymnastics commercials than she does actually competing

This is just my personal opinion (and a guess at that) but I bet Gabby is just tired of the cameras. Which is what we all pretty much said would happen when she got that show. When she's on she's still one of the best and can compete with the best, as we saw at Worlds 2015. I still think she's a lock for the team and just had a off weekend.

Back