OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
During P&G the announcers informed us Kim Zmeskal rewards her 15 year old (soon to be 16) gymnast, Ragan Smith with beads. For a good routine she gets 2 beads. If she pouts or is a bad teammate she has to give some of the beads away to her teammate (who probably stand there like WTF). The then showed an half empty container of beads.

In general the discussion about Ragan Smith made he sound more like a 5 year old than a soon to be 16 year old. Tiny people problems

DH's response when they said that was, "WTH?! Just trade the beads for biscuits and you have the training strategy for dogs that haven't been properly socialized."

I'm debating going but I just think the shows are so cheesy. It also gets out so late and it's a hour and a half drive and whatever traffic there is getting out my brother only lives a 5 minute walk away from the arena as he works in one of the buildings in the same area as the arena so he can just walks to work so I'm thinking about spending the night at his place. I'll have to see. I'd love to splurge and get the package you get to meet with the Olympians with that being the main reason I'd go. I've already seen Simone, Aly, Jordyn, Nastia and Gabby compete in person. They have all committed to the tour. As well as many others who will most likely be on tour so I feel like the only reason I would go would be to meet some of my idols. I wish I was going to Rio this summer but I've already been to a few Olympics including London and Vancouver, which was one of the most amazing experiences watching USA win gold but my parents will be in Europe that week unfortunately and I don't feel comfortable going alone and I don't think I could get anybody to go with me because it's so expensive.

I went to buy 4 tickets for $69.50 each, then at checkout I saw that Ticketmaster will be charging $68 in service fees! I am ticked at that! Plus because of a lawsuit to them I got multiple $2.25 (woohoo) credit and I can only use 2 of them! I may not go now.

I went to buy 4 tickets for $69.50 each, then at checkout I saw that Ticketmaster will be charging $68 in service fees! I am ticked at that! Plus because of a lawsuit to them I got multiple $2.25 (woohoo) credit and I can only use 2 of them! I may not go now.
That's ridiculous service fees I don't even think we spent that much on service fees at the Olympics watching the Fierce 5 win gold. Though we got a package so I don't even think we would know what the service fees would have been anyway. I just ran the cost for 2 tickets with the best seating and meet & greet with select Olympians will be nearly $700. I would only be willing to pay if there's an guarantee Simone, Aly, Laurie, and Gabbie would be there. That would be the main reason I'd go I've just been to so many competitions in the past 8 years that seeing them perform watered down routines is just not that special. I'd rather save the money and pay for really good seats at nationals in Anaheim next year. I went 8 years ago to the tour then. I was out of town 4 years ago and it just wasn't amazing gymnastics. My gut just says it's not worth it.

The Ranch episode that aired before Nationals is now on youtube if anyone missed it:

LOLing at Bella and his retired life for some reason.

That's ridiculous service fees I don't even think we spent that much on service fees at the Olympics watching the Fierce 5 win gold. Though we got a package so I don't even think we would know what the service fees would have been anyway. I just ran the cost for 2 tickets with the best seating and meet & greet with select Olympians will be nearly $700. I would only be willing to pay if there's an guarantee Simone, Aly, Laurie, and Gabbie would be there. That would be the main reason I'd go I've just been to so many competitions in the past 8 years that seeing them perform watered down routines is just not that special. I'd rather save the money and pay for really good seats at nationals in Anaheim next year. I went 8 years ago to the tour then. I was out of town 4 years ago and it just wasn't amazing gymnastics. My gut just says it's not worth it.

Usually at those tour of Olympic champions shows the downside is the girls don't do their big skills. Too much risk for injury so they water things down significantly - they do like level 8/9 skills if that. My daughter doesn't even want to go this year cause she remembers being disappointed in the 2012 show - doesn't want to go watch a bunch of layouts and tucks ;).

Usually at those tour of Olympic champions shows the downside is the girls don't do their big skills. Too much risk for injury so they water things down significantly - they do like level 8/9 skills if that. My daughter doesn't even want to go this year cause she remembers being disappointed in the 2012 show - doesn't want to go watch a bunch of layouts and tucks ;).

Even then mckayla broke her leg in the tour. I don't even get the purpose. Let them your but the whole campy gym routines is weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that the comments on the female gymnasts' appearance are uncalled for - unfortunately, I think it's more the public that they are appealing to though than announcers being creepy. Americans always want to make the smaller gymnast girls national sweethearts or whatever you want to call it - I remember it with Mary Lou, Karrie Strug, Dominique M. and even Shawn Johnson - heck, I remember the media talking up how cute and adorable and destined to win Shawn was during the 2008 Olympics that there was set of people who were actually angry at Nastia for beating her. Looks like they are trying to make Laurie into one of those cute little girls that everyone adores, etc. cause that gets them ratings and sells posters. so that's what the comment was about. I think Ragan Smith and the crap w/ the beads is a similar thing - the general public (not us on this board, but the regular people who don't know anything about gym/cheer) would just love seeing this little girl (even though she really isn't a little girl, but she looks like one so heck, they'll go with it) rock the Olympics - they could even sell bead necklaces as a merchandising gimmick after she wins the beam medal. Eye roll.

Totally true that they'd NEVER do this stuff w/ a male athlete. Men are rarely judged on their appearance in athletics - it's a huge double standard and always has been. However, I do think things are getting a little better than they used to be when it comes to this stuff compared to say a generation ago.
I think there's a difference in considering an athlete to be "America's sweetheart" or whatever and then just being plain creepy. I remember some of Al's comments about Shawn were like "she looks like a kid right off the cereal box" which is a little weird but not that bad. From what I watched/heard it didn't seem like they were trying to make Laurie into America's next sweetheart. Like referring to Laurie as a beauty doesn't seem like they're trying to make her into the next sweetheart since they always seem to play up cuteness and innocence when they do that? Idk if I'm making any sense haha. But with Laurie it seemed more overtly sexual in a sense as opposed to trying to make her seem cute and adorable. I remember Tim made a comment about Laurie's floor in 2013 and was like "watch out Dads she's only 13" or something like that. Definitely weird. But, in my opinion, whenever they claim some athlete or celebrity as "America's sweetheart" it's always some childish looking white girl and they go for the more homely/innocent aspect of it, but with Laurie it seemed like they were just straight up pointing out her looks and sexualizing her.

I cant remember if was during the olympics or trials but i remember one of the commentators making a comment about nastia's body and long lines, to the point where is became uncomfortable... Then people made memes and clipped it and put it on youtube.
I dont think they do it intentionally though....

I cant remember if was during the olympics or trials but i remember one of the commentators making a comment about nastia's body and long lines, to the point where is became uncomfortable... Then people made memes and clipped it and put it on youtube.
I dont think they do it intentionally though....

I mean, Nastia does have long lines for dayyyyyzzzz....

Exactly also the tour is just dangerous as its been mentioned with McKayla and Aly getting hurt on the first night though Aly's wasn't as serious. It just isn't safe to be doing gymnastics in a dark arena with flashing lights all over the place.

The tour is the worst thing. All these girls need after the Olympics is REST!! not some stupid tours. McKayla and Jordyn gor injuried 4 years ago. when they will learn this is the last thing these girls need after so much hard work and pressure.

So Russian Cup and Romanian nationals are happening this week.

During Russian Cup qualifications, basically everyone on the national team but Spiridonova fell off the bars, Nabieva (yes, she's actually still training and competing) outscored Mustafina in AA and Mustafina was the only one on NT to stay on beam. Also, Moscow didn't win the team finals(shocking).

For Romanian Nationals, Iordache suffered a concussion during floor podium and Ponor is suffering from sever nausea, vomiting and fever. Both athletes are in the ER, but latest I've heard is that Iordache is cleared to compete.

... does everyone remember a time when the Soviets and Romania use to battle it out for dominance in artistic gymnastics? Now they're just battling to see which national programme can break the most hearts.

So Russian Cup and Romanian nationals are happening this week.

During Russian Cup qualifications, basically everyone on the national team but Spiridonova fell off the bars, Nabieva (yes, she's actually still training and competing) outscored Mustafina in AA and Mustafina was the only one on NT to stay on beam. Also, Moscow didn't win the team finals(shocking).

For Romanian Nationals, Iordache suffered a concussion during floor podium and Ponor is suffering from sever nausea, vomiting and fever. Both athletes are in the ER, but latest I've heard is that Iordache is cleared to compete.

... does everyone remember a time when the Soviets and Romania use to battle it out for dominance in artistic gymnastics? Now they're just battling to see which national programme can break the most hearts.
Um, wow. This is upsetting. I hope China is doing better than these two at the moment.

Back