OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Norah Flatley has officially retired from elite... she'll be continue her final season with Chow's as a level 10 and has committed to UCLA for the fall of 2018 (I believe).

Norah Flatley has officially retired from elite... she'll be continue her final season with Chow's as a level 10 and has committed to UCLA for the fall of 2018 (I believe).

Aw, sad. She was always one of my favorite juniors to watch. If only her senior elite career wasn't so riddled with injuries. Sometimes a "no pressure" level 10 season is exactly what they need reignite their passion for gym. I think she'll do very well at the collegiate level though, so good for her.

Laneys beam from podium training
Laney Madsen Hits BHS Tuck Full + Piked Barani On Beam - 2017 U.S. Classic Podium Training | FloGymnastics

Whip double arabian
Laney Madsen Whip To Double Arabian - 2017 U.S. Classic Podium Training | FloGymnastics

Bars
Laney Madsen Shows Amazing Bar Combo - 2017 US Classic Podium Training | FloGymnastics

She still has some form issues but I am very excited to see how will she do today. Hoping to see her hit everything.

Also Abby Paulson was great on podium traing, Ragan Smith had some beam issues, Ashton hit her beam I believe but had some issues on bars...She wants to do AA but doesn't know if her knees and back will hold up. Riley McCusker was a mess yesterday. Fell on probably every single reliese on bars, missed foot on the beam dismount like 4 times and landed on her head, didn't do vault and busted almost every tumbling pass she did on floor. She said in interview that she knows she is not ready to compete and was in cast just 3 weeks ago. So why is she competing?!? It's post Olympic year and Classics are not even nationals just let her heal. But thats Maggie Hayne......what can I say.....

Last edited:
Laneys beam from podium training
Laney Madsen Hits BHS Tuck Full + Piked Barani On Beam - 2017 U.S. Classic Podium Training | FloGymnastics

Whip double arabian
Laney Madsen Whip To Double Arabian - 2017 U.S. Classic Podium Training | FloGymnastics

Bars
Laney Madsen Shows Amazing Bar Combo - 2017 US Classic Podium Training | FloGymnastics

She still has some form issues but I am very excited to see how will she do today. Hoping to see her hit everything.

Also Abby Paulson was great on podium traing, Ragan Smith had some beam issues, Ashton hit her beam I believe but had some issues on bars...She wants to do AA but doesn't know if her knees and back will hold up. Riley McCusker was a mess yesterday. Fell on probably every single reliese on bars, missed foot on the beam dismount like 4 times and landed on her head, didn't do vault and busted almost every tumbling pass she did on floor. She said in interview that she knows she is not ready to compete and was in cast just 3 weeks ago. So why is she competing?!? It's post Olympic year and Classics are not even nationals just let her heal. But thats Maggie Hayne......what can I say.....
Wow. I feel terrible for Riley. I bet they think this is her "year" to go to Worlds before a few girls return to training and her chances decrease. I hate to see her get pushed like that. Hopefully it was just a bad day for her and she can pull it together.

do the junior National Team members always compete with seniors? or only in the weak years following the olympics? because I do not remember this happening last year...

do the junior National Team members always compete with seniors? or only in the weak years following the olympics? because I do not remember this happening last year...

I read the explanation last week on USA Gym. I vaguely remember something about their being a lot of juniors but they're still competing in the junior competition

Edit--- Locklear, Smith headline field for U.S. Classic | U.S. Classic
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laney finished 13th, not the lowest, but the lowest of the athletes who did all 4 apparatus.
All athletes below her in score did not compete in 1+ apparatus.

I can't watch the stream because I'm not in US so can someone tell me if she had a bad day, or if she just isn't up to par just yet?

Laney finished 13th, not the lowest, but the lowest of the athletes who did all 4 apparatus.
All athletes below her in score did not compete in 1+ apparatus.

I can't watch the stream because I'm not in US so can someone tell me if she had a bad day, or if she just isn't up to par just yet?

Looks like she especially got killed in execution.....but people here have been commenting on her form (and lack there of) since she began her Olympic bid for Tokyo. It's hard to make up a life time in gymnastics technique in what has it been...4 years? The few times I did look up and see her routines, admittedly I did cringe. It's certainly impressive the level of gymnastics she's achieved in so little time....but the form.

But isn't this her first big national competition? I suppose she can only go up from here

https://usagym.org/PDFs/Results/w_17classic_sr.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you watch a video of Laney's floor yesterday and compare it to the tumbling videos they used to post here when I felt compelled to say prayers for her knees, ankles, and skull prior to pressing play, the progress she has made is astounding. But realistically her technique still sucks and that is only amplified on the national stage surrounded by girls who were taught perfect execution from the age of 5.

I feel bad being mean because in the time it takes some of us to learn a backhandspring, she just learned all four apparatuses of gymnastics and trained them to an elite level... but there's a reason why it has never happened before. And probably won't happen again. It shows, and not in a good way.

If nothing else, I give the kid so much credit for her determination and discipline to make that happen.

Back