All-Star Athletic Championships 2016 Providence 1/23 -1/24

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Personally, I thought that there was a good mix of winners at this comp and a lot of GREAT competition. Just because one gym won a lot, it doesn't mean that they didn't deserve it or it wasn't close. People sometimes forget that the percentage of winning is probably similar to what the smaller gyms had with their programs.

@Ashley _ I was trying to post and the thread went poof!!! I couldn't figure out what I said to have insufficient privileges! LOL

@NJ Coach I just can't. It's so pathetic that it's funny (I'm sure it wasn't at ALL funny at the time). I'm guessing they modified the bid declaration this year from last year for a reason too ;):confused:.
CP's team placed where they should have this year and I don't see scoresheets unless CU posts them on twitter, so I can't speak for much that happened this year except for the overall experience at this competition isn't what it used to be, and I think the declining numbers are evident that the competition as a whole is in need of some improvements.
I found it hysterical immediately after hearing it. It was one of those times that something is so pathetic that it's funny. It kept getting funnier as the night went on (especially when the team was told...their performance on Day 2 was absolutely hysterical. If a performance could kill someone, they'd all have been booked for murder). Anyway, the camel's back had been broken the year before, but because of a schedule conflict we wound up returning even though we didn't want to. Last year just reinforced why we didn't want to be there. Worst judging we had all year.
We went from being at the bottom of the scores for Worlds teams to being one deduction short of winning a paid bid a week later. I'm pretty glad we didn't go this year - it's not worth it to spend $175 for a bunch of open athletes, even if it is close to home.

ETA: I merged the two threads about this comp.
Agreed.

Large Senior 4 Pro Athletics Sr. Fierce was properly notified they won their division before the comp was over (I believe about 8PM or so) Many of the kids were still there, they were given their backpacks & those that had left were given to them at the gym the following day. They were humble with the loss & stood to clap for the winning team at their awards ceremony & they were humble yet thrilled with the win & I didn't hear one kid say how they felt slighted about not getting their announcement at awards. Accidents/mistakes happen & Athletics handled it nicely by announcing them as "Co-winners" as to not take it away from the originally announced 1st place team.
I'm confused, Pro Athletics did not have a team competing in the Large Sr 4 Division.

I wish someone had a camera when the accuscore person realized they were counting the photographers as non tumblers. Then I wish someone had a camera on the coaches when said accuscore person said "oh wait, I think they're counting the photographers". Lastly, I wish you could see the reaction of the coaches from other programs when they were told what our issue was. Could be the most surreal experience of my coaching life. That routine, that the coaches were told just wasn't good enough, went on to score an overall 99% 2 weeks later and got a paid to summit. No changes to the routine, hit just as hard as it did in providence. The response was something along the lines of, "oh, we didn't realize your teams were that good". Politics is ALWAYS in play at some of these events. ALWAYS.
My CP has competed against and at the same competitions as your teams for the last 8 years and all your teams always look polished and very rarely have seen even a bobble let along a stunt fall in one of your routines. I can't believe it wasn't evident that your teams are that good, even my Mom who knows nothing about cheer was in awe at your teams' performances in Toms River a couple of weeks ago. Sorry you had to go through that, but glad you can laugh at it now.

My CP has competed against and at the same competitions as your teams for the last 8 years and all your teams always look polished and very rarely have seen even a bobble let along a stunt fall in one of your routines. I can't believe it wasn't evident that your teams are that good, even my Mom who knows nothing about cheer was in awe at your teams' performances in Toms River a couple of weeks ago. Sorry you had to go through that, but glad you can laugh at it now.
Thank you :kiss: Trust me, we were laughing about it then too...or maybe that was just me ;)

I totally agree. Our old program competed against you guys for the last two comps last year, and I heard the people complaining very saltily. I couldn't believe it...I was like, "ummmmm, did you see them? They deserved to win all the titles". LOL

I will say, we've had issues with this comp for several years. Last year, we weren't originally going (because of issues) but because of a scheduling conflict, wound up attending. Add our issues with previous years, with a pretty huge issue last year, we absolutely refused to attend this year, and told TPTB we wouldn't be coming and why. All of us were thrilled (doubly so after the storm this weekend). After talking to various people, all with different programs, seems the issues that were experienced by many are some the same issues we had. I have yet to hear anyone say that they were scored out of range because the photographers were counted as non tumblers though, so I think we still win on ridiculous judging.

What.

I read what happened. If there's ever a tell all book written you need to submit this
The only other time I can remember being dumbfounded by a judgement call was when an EP gave us a deduction for stopping a routine due to injury....that reaction was pure anger though.

It's funny now, but at the time not so much. The line to wait to contest scores was approximately 2 hours. It became a competition between the coaches of who had the most ridiculous thing to contest...we won hands down.
You deserve a banner, Champion's jacket AND ring for that win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i 100% did not agree with the scores and placements in my teams division. in all my years of coaching ive never felt so strongly that the placements were just not correct. when a team is better than us i will be the first to admit it. i am not blind and have been around for a while and know when a team is just better. but this weekend i was left losing faith in this sport. my team hit a perfect routine on saturday. went out on sunday and hit even better on the second day. our score only went up .1. teams ahead of us did worse on the second day with falls,hands down and shaky stunts and pyramids and scored .5 .6 higher. they also had falls that the jusdges did not give them deductions for. i just couldnt understand the placements or the scores in this division. this really left me thinking that this competition heavily favored 1 gym.

i 100% did not agree with the scores and placements in my teams division. in all my years of coaching ive never felt so strongly that the placements were just not correct. when a team is better than us i will be the first to admit it. i am not blind and have been around for a while and know when a team is just better. but this weekend i was left losing faith in this sport. my team hit a perfect routine on saturday. went out on sunday and hit even better on the second day. our score only went up .1. teams ahead of us did worse on the second day with falls,hands down and shaky stunts and pyramids and scored .5 .6 higher. they also had falls that the jusdges did not give them deductions for. i just couldnt understand the placements or the scores in this division. this really left me thinking that this competition heavily favored 1 gym.

I don't know about favoring one gym, but the same thing happened with a couple of our teams. We hit better day 2 than day 1 (hit both days) and our score went down by .1.

Back