All-Star Background Checks And References

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm not a parent, but either way (for me or my future offspring) I'd want to know a background check is done. You can't catch everything, but you KNOW there's at least that preventative measure in place..

this makes perfect sense. my husband coached high school football and he had to not only do a background but take and pass health certification classes.

I find it crazy that any gym wouldn't do a background check. In the UK we have an organisation that checks everything, police, child protection, sex offenders register, everything. Ever job I have ever done that involves working with children or vulnerable adverts has performed this check. All new starts at our gym must do this check, it costs around £40 and is valid for 2 years then the gym does them again. If I go into a school to teach as part of the PE class or run after school classes these are done every year. I would find it very worrying as a parent if I didn't think my sons coaches where under going these rigorous checks, I would also be concerned if anyone was not willing to undergo these checks

I find it crazy that any gym wouldn't do a background check. In the UK we have an organisation that checks everything, police, child protection, sex offenders register, everything. Ever job I have ever done that involves working with children or vulnerable adverts has performed this check. All new starts at our gym must do this check, it costs around £40 and is valid for 2 years then the gym does them again. If I go into a school to teach as part of the PE class or run after school classes these are done every year. I would find it very worrying as a parent if I didn't think my sons coaches where under going these rigorous checks, I would also be concerned if anyone was not willing to undergo these checks

I wish that was something done over here because I know a gym where the owners husband is a convicted sex offender and is constantly at the gym and i was just shocked

I wish that was something done over here because I know a gym where the owners husband is a convicted sex offender and is constantly at the gym and i was just shocked

Wow that is scary. I find it really surprising that this is allowed anywhere.

I don't understand why those parents would continue to send their children to that gym. Just like I don't understand the parents who continue to send their kids to a gym owned by someone who has admitted to inappropriately touching girls, plead guilty to 2 counts of sexual battery and assualt and battery and registered as a sex offender.

What if you've hired someone who has a record of criminal or sexual origin? What if they have a record of unlawful sexual acts with minors? You could lose your entire business because you didn't take the time to do a simple background check.

ANY business that doesn't get a background check on each employee as part of the hiring process is asking for trouble.

I'm amazed that any remain.

I would do background checks on my coaches because you never know with all those little minors running around in sports bras..

I don't understand why those parents would continue to send their children to that gym. Just like I don't understand the parents who continue to send their kids to a gym owned by someone who has admitted to inappropriately touching girls, plead guilty to 2 counts of sexual battery and assualt and battery and registered as a sex offender.

What if you've hired someone who has a record of criminal or sexual origin? What if they have a record of unlawful sexual acts with minors? You could lose your entire business because you didn't take the time to do a simple background check.

PREACH!!!!!

We don't even allow parents to go on fieldtrips with our school unless they do a background check first. Kids safety is way too important and once their innocence is taken away nothing can bring it back.:(

Question for all you gym owners. Is it common practice for you to run a background check for new coaches you are thinking of hiring? Do you call previous employers for a reference check? I'm curious about this. I've had to get a background check when I coached for pop warner, but never for all stars. I mean they could've google searched me, but that isn't exactly the same. Just curious what others do to protect their business and their kids.
OMG, have been having this conversation with others lately and even just posted it on the Cheer Parents forum. Had no idea you just posted it. Have coached pop-warner, baseball and hockey and all 3 required background checks, so why not all-star.

Back