All-Star Background Checks And References

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

newcheerdad said:
I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. But from a cursory reading of the Virginia law sexual battery is a misdemeanor that doesn't come with an automatic child protection order - even for crimes that involve a minor.

Two words: bass ackwards

Although I agree that a background check should be done for new or prospective employees, it does not mean that the check is conclusive!! A background check for criminal history will show only that--meaning something that the person was CONVICTED of!! There are those individuals that have committed crimes against young women/men that have not been CONVICTED of those crimes, and it would never show on a background check??? Background checks are a start, but not the end all, be all!!

JUSTICE said:
Although I agree that a background check should be done for new or prospective employees, it does not mean that the check is conclusive!! A background check for criminal history will show only that--meaning something that the person was CONVICTED of!! There are those individuals that have committed crimes against young women/men that have not been CONVICTED of those crimes, and it would never show on a background check??? Background checks are a start, but not the end all, be all!!

Correct. Which is why we call unlisted references too. We make it very difficult to get a job at our gym mainly as a safety precaution but also bc we demand a high level of professionalism. If you can make it through our hiring process then you're legit.

Correct. Which is why we call unlisted references too. We make it very difficult to get a job at our gym mainly as a safety precaution but also bc we demand a high level of professionalism. If you can make it through our hiring process then you're legit.
unfortunately cupieqt, not every gym takes the measures or even half the measures you do.

I'm very curious on your take. What else can gym owners do besides background checks?

I know that many companies do not give a bad reference. A lot of times a company will only confirm dates of employment.

NJ Coach said:
I know that many companies do not give a bad reference. A lot of times a company will only confirm dates of employment.

You're exactly right. Which is why we ask certain questions to find out those unlisted references. We know you're going to put the "good ones" on your application and the references we ask for are usually glowing reports. If you dig carefully you can find out much more from the people they didn't put on their application. Hehe we would make good detectives ; )

Cheer Dad said:
unfortunately cupieqt, not every gym takes the measures or even half the measures you do.

That's shameful. It takes time to dig into a new hires background but so does getting CPR certification & First Aid (we require the class with the mannequins), training (30 hours of co-teaching and observing), and continued education is endless. This is a high risk business, precautions MUST be taken to protect everyone. So is it laziness, apathy or what that stops people from following through?

That's not entirely correct. I am in charge of running background checks at my current company, and at previous companies, and I am the one that has all the results emailed to me. I can tell you that EVERYTHING shows up on criminal background checks, including pending cases, convictions, dismissals, etc. Normally they list the charges against the person, the date the charges were filed, the judgement date, and the judgement itself (guilty, not guilty, dismissed). I'm constantly amazed by the things that show up on background checks that end up being dismissed.

The catch in all of this... Information on a background check that doesn't show a conviction cannot be used to adversely affect employment, or you could have a big, fat lawsuit on your hands as an employer.

From a prospective coach's POV I would think that a background check would be a good thing too. An off-the-cuff comment from a kid that means nothing can be interpreted wrongly (by people with good intentions) and can lead to a whole lot of mess. A clean record and good references are your best defence in maintaining your reputation.

The important question to ask in a reference from a prior employer is, "would you rehire him / her?"

A prior employer, in most states, can not talk about anything negative about the employee, they can not offer information, they can and are allowed to answer direct questions.

The important question to ask in a reference from a prior employer is, "would you rehire him / her?"

A prior employer, in most states, can not talk about anything negative about the employee, they can not offer information, they can and are allowed to answer direct questions.

nice suggestion.

I thought this was well known.

I have been told when calling for references, I am only allowed to get confirmation of employment, dates employed, and if they would rehire. Even if you get a signed statement from the applicant saying you can ask for more information, most employers won't give out any other information.

One thing I looked at was whether or not they list a previous supervisor as a reference. If you are just listing coworkers and no supervisors are listed, then that flags something for me.

Back