All-Star Base Or Flyer...?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MzLyn23

Cheer Parent
Sep 16, 2014
I just want honest opinions but please do not attack or think that I'm a crazy cheer mom (I can be crazy but I'm trying to be logical here).

Is it totally wrong that I don't want my CP to be a base?? She's always been a flyer... When I coached her for 4 years, I tried the base thing with her but her upper body strength is extremely lacking... Now with evaluations done and right now its practice to figure out placement, she's commented that they had her basing a few times and that she's struggling. With that said, she was on a Senior team this past season as a flyer and I've noticed she tried out with former teammates but with younger girls as well, for example (Junior and Youth girls) where she was basing them. They have also given different times for girls to practice based on level and age... many of her former teammates have gotten different times from her and I get that cause she was the youngest on the senior team last year but now i'm worried that she might be placed on a Junior Team. the past seasons junior team did not have girls strong enough to pick her up (She's only 11 but she's not super light - super flexi but JLo thick lol thanks again to Daddy's puerto rican genes).

Maybe I'm jumping the gun but my fear is she will place on a Junior Team instead of a Senior Team or she will place on both because she was given the option to crossover but would it be bad if she was basing on one and flying on the other or if in worse case scenario she only made it only on a Junior Team and only bases... I don't know, I'm just so confused... She has said that she based a little bit and then flew with the bigger girls doing level 4 stunts which I'm super happy for her but I also know she's only tumbling level 2 so that might be a factor unless they create a 4.2 team which is rumored but has not been announced. I just don't know.... I've seen girls cross over from basing to flying and sometimes they seem worn out.... I don't know I just don't feel comfortable with her as a base.... Am I totally bat-poop crazy for even thinking selfishly lol

I think I'm more worried about her dropping someone to be honest lol...

I think I'm more worried about her dropping someone to be honest lol...

Working on upper body strength will help with tumbling as well as stunting. Honestly, having poor upper body strength is an excuse I've overheard so many times from wanna-be flyers. If she can fly better than the other flyers, they'll put her in the air. If she can't (or even if she can!), she should work on being stronger in other skill areas.

As a coach/mom especially, I think you should step back from the situation and let her coaches do their job. :)

Yes, I would honestly say that is the wrong attitude to have. My CP has spent 2 seasons picking up slack for girls with the "I'm too weak to base, I should be flying" attitude and it is completely toxic to the stunt group. As the back spot she saved countless stunts that this girl just gave up on and stopped because she didn't want to be there basing. Please don't foster this attitude in your child. Only 1/4 of the team can fly, that means 75% of cheerleaders need to know how to base. Instead of wishing to fly, encourage her to work on getting better at the job she is given. Yes, she will have to work at it, and work hard. Basing isn't as easy as most flyers think it is. It is hard work and they are responsible for the safety of their flyers. Bases who think they need to be flying are probably CP's biggest source of frustration and have been the cause of the vast majority of her bruises, busted lips, and black eyes while cheering. This attitude puts the safety of everyone in the stunt group at risk.n

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If she was youngest on her senior team last year, maybe it will be more fun for her to be on a junior team with girls closer to her age this year. Many flyers become great bases because they know, if they were in their flyer's shoes, how they would want their base to hold their foot, how to save stunts, etc. It's VERY good to be well-rounded -- this may seem far away, but that is one of the main things they look for when trying out for college cheer and even upper-level senior teams!

Honestly, with only being 11 and being placed on a senior team just to fly, proves that eventually she will be placed as a base. What about when she's 14 and physically maturing, will the senior girls still be able to lift her in difficult stunts?
I've spent half my cheer career as a flyer and the other half as a base. Having that flying experience has honestly made me a MUCH better base. Of course I was weak at first and not up to par, but you pick it up and understand more of what is needed, purely based on the flying experience.

And everyone gets dropped. Im sure your daughter has been dropped, and I'm sure she'll drop someone. You learn from it. Speaking from personal experience, having been a flyer before a base- I was more determined than ever to not drop my flyer and being the best base, simply cause I knew how much it sucked to be dropped

My CP is a flyer and has been since she started. She is rather small for her age (10) and I anticipate her flying for a few more years. I am also very realisitic that the direction the sport is going in (smaller flyers) chances are she will base at one point. I would love for her to have the opportunity to one day base and fly. When its her time to transition to basing permanently it will be an easier one.

The good news is that you don't have to be comfortable with her basing! That's for her and her coaches. Please don't let your attitude bleed through to her. Not only does she need upper body strength, but she needs core and leg strength. Since she's such a good flyer, she probably has the core strength already and most girls are fairly strong in the legs. CP was the second or third shortest on her team for a couple of years in a row but turned into a beast base! Size really doesn't matter. If the coaches need her to base, they should give her the training she needs to be a safe base, including how to catch your flyer when she falls.

Back