All-Star Best Excuses To Miss Practice...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I coach, but we have season tickets to Capitals, I cant tell you how many games I have had to miss to be at practice (makes me sad, but hey..what can you do!). I think one thing that bothers me the most, is like others have said, when parents make up excuses for their child. Its always interesting when their friends come to practice and tell you what they are ACTUALLY doing. Or when the kid and parent each give you a different excuse. Ugh...

wow! you are very lucky! i would miss cheer and the Blackhawks to see Ovechkin anyday! i eish i had season tickets like you! :)

My parents always tell me that if I have to make up an excuse to get out of practice then I might as well quit so they refuse to make excuses for me or lie for me to get me out of school, practice, etc. They wouldn't even say I was sick for senior skip day.

My flyer was complaining all practice about this "project" she'd be missing the next practice in order to complete. The coaches okay'd it - not a big deal. That night, when were conditioning throwing standing tuck after standing tuck.... She's actually watching the x factor semi-finals....
Facebook is the best tattle-tell ever!

This isn't for practice, but a competition, which can be worse-_- Back when I cheered for a really small gym on a half year team, we competed in Wildwood for our only two day competition. There was a girl on the team who had a lot of social/mental issues. Granted, she still did her job as a team member. Most of the team stayed over because Wildwood was a few hours from where most of us lived. This girl drove there and back. Well on the second day she just decided she wasn't going to show up. The coach called her, and the girl said she didn't feel like coming. We scrambled to work a girl on juniors into the routine because we didn't have much time. Then the girl showed up 15 minutes before warm ups, after we were all freaking out :banghead:

The best is the "I have no ride" from girls on a high school team in a suburban area. None of you love more than 5 miles from the school. Meanwhile, i'm driving 35 min one way to every practice, and never miss, ever.

Also, i've gotten into the habit of saying to my HS kids, "how many of you think its okay that __________ is missing today?" It gets real quiet and awkward. Then we continue practice. Teenage girls hate being embarrassed. Absences have dropped dramatically!

Oh another one we got:

"She transfered to the wrong tram and ended up in the wrong part of town."

Um, from her school to practice you just have to take 1 tram...dunno why she was transferring??

I've done that before on my way home from work. It's one commuter train away and I somehow misread or misheard which track my train was on. I didn't even realize I was on the wrong train until it was too late.

A girl on the team I coach talked to me after a sunday practice and was like "I can't come to practice on tuesday night, I have an important test on wednesday." Me and the other coach was all like....... don't you dare miss it. She said she would be at practice "if it was that important", so I sad yes, ofcourse it is. On tuesday morning she texted me; "really need to study, see you on sunday, good luck tonight :)". She's in 8th grade. SUPERIMPORTANT TEST OMG CAN'T BE AT A 3 HOUR PRACTICE REALLY NEED TO STUDY. When I got home she had updated her facebook during practice hours. YEAH, GO STUDY FACEBOOKHISTORY, GOOD GIRL.

The best is the "I have no ride" from girls on a high school team in a suburban area. None of you love more than 5 miles from the school. Meanwhile, i'm driving 35 min one way to every practice, and never miss, ever.

When I was in college we still had to drive back to school during winter break to cheer at games - with the except of the girls who lived too far away to drive, obviously. I didn't get my license until 2 weeks before I went off to college and didn't do any highway driving because I didn't have a car at college. I got home for winter break and had to cheer at a game on December 23 and my parents wouldn't let me take the car for a 2 hour drive that included the Mass Pike (not a good highway to be on if you haven't done any highway driving) and couldn't drive me themselves. My coach didn't like that excuse but there was nothing I could do, the closest person cheering at that game was an hour away.

Later that break though my dad drove with me out for a practice so I could get some experience driving and it wasn't an issue after that.

I've also missed practices to go to the Patriots game. I got tickets for my boyfriends birthday because he absolutely loves them. We only practice once a week on my open team so I felt bad about missing them - but I wasn't going to miss that, it's really hard to get tickets. I made sure the game was early in the season though so I wouldn't be missing from full-out run throughs or anything though.

One time a girl on my team was late for practice because she had a knot in her hair. She showed up in here pajamas 30 minutes late hahaha

A girl once told me the day of practice that she had to miss a 5-7 practice on a Tuesday because she had a school dance. She was obviously lying (who's ever had a school dance on a Tuesday?) and gave her a warning and called her parents. Turns out she had to go into court for a really horrible custody battle right in the middle of her parent's divorce that I was never told about. I felt pretty badly when she started crying the next time I saw her, but I feel like it would have been so much easier if the parents had just told me. I would have backed off in a heartbeat.

A girl once told me the day of practice that she had to miss a 5-7 practice on a Tuesday because she had a school dance. She was obviously lying (who's ever had a school dance on a Tuesday?) and gave her a warning and called her parents. Turns out she had to go into court for a really horrible custody battle right in the middle of her parent's divorce that I was never told about. I felt pretty badly when she started crying the next time I saw her, but I feel like it would have been so much easier if the parents had just told me. I would have backed off in a heartbeat.
aww :(

Back