OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Ugggh the movies are a total derailment from the books. The first one was pretty close, just a bad movie. The second one was so different. I will probably watch the third one and I will hate it.

I hated the second and third books so much, I welcomed the changed of Insurgent but agree it was a bad movie. I'll watch Allegiant just because I've seen the first two, but it'll likely be long after it's left theaters.

Off topic but oh well. In my city, the HS starts at 7:45am and ends at 2:35. I don't mind waking up early if it means I'll get home at a decent time

Hope no one minds if I bump this thread! I'm ready for some new book recommendations if anyone has read anything good recently.

With summer approaching and the weather warming up, I gravitate more towards lighter reads with short chapters, perfect for outdoor/pool side reading that I can pick up and put down often. Throw anything my way!

I'm thinking about requesting Mindy Kaling's new(ish) book at my library. I liked her first one a lot. Anyone read Why Not Me?

Hope no one minds if I bump this thread! I'm ready for some new book recommendations if anyone has read anything good recently.

With summer approaching and the weather warming up, I gravitate more towards lighter reads with short chapters, perfect for outdoor/pool side reading that I can pick up and put down often. Throw anything my way!

I'm thinking about requesting Mindy Kaling's new(ish) book at my library. I liked her first one a lot. Anyone read Why Not Me?

yay for using the library. I had that book sitting on my floor for a month. Never read it

yay for using the library. I had that book sitting on my floor for a month. Never read it
I'm a big library fan. When I first moved to Charlotte I joined because it was right beside my apartment and I had no friends up here so it gave me something to do. Now I use it more and more because of convenience. And hard copy books are too dang pricey to buy, honestly.

I read (listened to the audio book for) it. It was good but it was just kind of like the same thing as her first book. Not better or worse. There's a section in it that I wish I read the book for so yeah. I only listened to it because I adore Mindy Kaling.

Have you read Malala's book? I lovedddd it. I listened to that as an audio book so I can't tell you if it has short chapters but I totally recommend it even if it's not that light in terms of "happy."

I also recommend any of malcom gladwell's books. They are fun and make me overestimate my capabilities[emoji14]

The Residence: Inside the Private World of the White House by Kate Andersen Brower is also a good read. It's stories from the domestic staff at the white house.

Not a light read in terms of content, but All the Light We Cannot See was one of the best books I've read recently. It does have super short chapters!

Another sad but good one was When Breath Becomes Air. That one is a memoir.

I just finished The Girl on the Train. It was pretty good. Not my favorite, but an easy read.

@cheerKT I read Mindy's book. I enjoyed the first one more. It's good, but the first one made me actually laugh more.

If you guys like The Office/Parks & Rec/etc., and haven't read One More Thing by BJ Novak, I highly recommend it! It wasn't what I expected at all, but I thought it was clever and so funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read a memoir recently that I enjoyed much more than expected. Not my Father's Son by Alan Cumming. It's not a light story, but it's told with humor and involves a compelling mystery. I listened to the audio book, so his reading may have made it more appealing.

I'm drawn to easier reads in the summer, but still down to hear all recommendations! I just put in a hold for All the Light We Cannot See because it looks interesting. Keep em coming!

I read Room last summer, definitely check it out if you haven't read the book! So good.
It might not be your style but The Talent Code is a really interesting read about how we learn and how to make practices/studying/learning anything more effective. I would definitely recommend that any coach or teacher reads it, there's so much valuable information and its super interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recommendations for a light read:
  • The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
  • Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
  • Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
  • The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
  • The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
  • Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi
  • Death on a High Floor by Charles Rosenberg
  • Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim
  • Sycamore Row by John Grisham
Denser reads: