OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I got two books from Lisa Scottoline for Christmas! Anyone read any of hers? I just started to read Think Twice, and I am not sure how I feel about it yet but I think I like it.

I got two books from Lisa Scottoline for Christmas! Anyone read any of hers? I just started to read Think Twice, and I am not sure how I feel about it yet but I think I like it.
I haven't read her books in a long time, but I used to really like her. I think her books are the kind of quick read, not-life-changing books that you'd read at the pool (or on a snowy Sunday afternoon). Like Heather Graham, James Patterson type books. Still pretty good though.

I went through my Kindle wish list the other day, and bought about 10 of the books on it. I don't know why - I already have 30 books I haven't read yet (literally, between my Kindle and the stack of books on my desk, I now have over 40 unread books. I think I like choosing books to read better than I actually like reading them!)

I started Sandrine's Case last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. My sister recommended it, so I'll try it, but for right now it's very confusing!

My class sophomore year had to read Three Cups of Tea. I got through 30 pages and there wasn't a single person in my class who read the book. I didn't enjoy it then and I'm not sure if I even know what it's about at this point haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I read Three Cups of Tea for fun when I was in 6th or 7th grade. I loved it! A few of my friends read it and they all hated it, so I think I may be in the minority on this one.
I'm also pretty sure I'm the only person at my school who didn't totally hate Catcher in the Rye. I didn't particularly love it the first time when I had to read it for sophomore English, but I re-read it this summer and enjoyed it much more than before.

I read Three Cups of Tea for fun when I was in 6th or 7th grade. I loved it! A few of my friends read it and they all hated it, so I think I may be in the minority on this one.
I'm also pretty sure I'm the only person at my school who didn't totally hate Catcher in the Rye. I didn't particularly love it the first time when I had to read it for sophomore English, but I re-read it this summer and enjoyed it much more than before.

I actually really really like "Catcher in the Rye"... definitely in the minority here.

I love books, but probably having to read them for a class makes them less enjoyable. Surprisingly, some of the ones I've liked were Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, Brave New World (yes...*that* book. It was pretty weird, but eye-opening), and A Tale of Two Cities (I actually really liked this; I recommend it!)

I'm also slowly making my way through Les Misérables. I burned through about 500 pages in a few weeks this summer, but then I got busy [emoji16]It is a really good novel, and Hugo has lots of thought-provoking musings in it which I really enjoy!

I love books, but probably having to read them for a class makes them less enjoyable. Surprisingly, some of the ones I've liked were Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, Brave New World (yes...*that* book. It was pretty weird, but eye-opening), and A Tale of Two Cities (I actually really liked this; I recommend it!)

I'm also slowly making my way through Les Misérables. I burned through about 500 pages in a few weeks this summer, but then I got busy [emoji16]It is a really good novel, and Hugo has lots of thought-provoking musings in it which I really enjoy!

Brave New World is my favorite book! I'm glad I was never required to read it for a class, my dad was actually the one who gave me his copy when I was 10. Of course it's not exactly appropriate for a child that age but he didn't think I would like it understand it because it was complicated but I used to read it weekly [emoji23]

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked Divergent (well, until the ending anyway) I agree that Allegiant was really repetitive, though. I don't notice thay almost ever in books, and I actually did this time, so it must've been really obvious.

I've been reading a series since 5th grade called Vampire Academy (the books are so much better than the title I swear. Richelle Mead is an amazing author, I just don't think she had much else to call this series). I had just finished the Twilight books (yes, 5th grade. I was always an advanced reader) and I was looking for a "nice, clean vampire book" because I was obsessed with vampires after Twilight. So I bought the book, sat down to read it, and pretty soon, it mentioned something being "better than sex-or so I imagined, since I'd never done it" I finished it, and read the rest of them. By the time I was in 7th grade, I was caught up completely and buying books on their release dates. We're now into the spinoff series, and the last book is being released in February.

And for people who like classic remakes, Prom and Prejudice is a really cute one. It's a really quick read, and fun.

Also, for people with CPs who have around 12 or 13, a really good series is the Gallagher Girls series. The first one is called "I'd Tell You I Love You, but then I'd Have to Kill You" and all the titles are cute and clever like that. The final one cane or within the year, I think, and even though I turn 16 in May, I still ordered and read it because I needed the ending to a series I've invested so much time in.

I go to this bookstore with my aunt sometimes (she spoils me way too much in general, but especially there. She takes her used books there and she has a ton of credit built up) and they always have a ton of gently used books that are interesting. I don't always read them, but I can always sell them back for credit.
Wow this got really rambly...sorry guys, it's 3 AM here. I really need to sleep (I used swipe text on that and "sleep" came up as "Skidoo." I almost started giggling, further proving my point. Good night FBers:))

Also, for people with CPs who have around 12 or 13, a really good series is the Gallagher Girls series. The first one is called "I'd Tell You I Love You, but then I'd Have to Kill You" and all the titles are cute and clever like that. The final one cane or within the year, I think, and even though I turn 16 in May, I still ordered and read it because I needed the ending to a series I've invested so much time in.
:))
I loved that series when I was in middle school! I forget which book I left off with. I think I read to whichever the newest installment was at the time and forgot about the series by the time more came out.

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg

That's really my only fiction recommendation. I'm really into autobiographies. I've read a lot of amazing books about surviving ED's, but I feel torn about recommending them, like I don't want to trigger anyone or even worse give people ideas if that even makes sense. Does anyone else have that problem?

Finally read Gone Girl, just finished! I really wanted to see the movie but I just couldn't let myself see it before I read the book. Wow is all I have to say. The author is pretty darn talented to come up with a plot line like that! It is now one of my new favorite books.

Finally read Gone Girl, just finished! I really wanted to see the movie but I just couldn't let myself see it before I read the book. Wow is all I have to say. The author is pretty darn talented to come up with a plot line like that! It is now one of my new favorite books.

Same I agree that the book is SOO good! I didn't enjoy the movie as much, but that usually happens to me... I almost always love the books better! Her other books are written in a very similar way and I enjoyed the other one I read too (can't remember which one though)

So I posted a question on Facebook and did not get a response. I want to read Jane Austen this year. Any suggestions as to which book I should start with?

So I posted a question on Facebook and did not get a response. I want to read Jane Austen this year. Any suggestions as to which book I should start with?
I JUST finished reading Sense and Sensibility today! Like about two hours ago haha. I started with Pride and Prejudice, then read Emma, and then Sense and Sensibility. I thought they were all really great! I would maybe start with Pride and Prejudice first? It was my favorite.

I JUST finished reading Sense and Sensibility today! Like about two hours ago haha. I started with Pride and Prejudice, then read Emma, and then Sense and Sensibility. I thought they were all really great! I would maybe start with Pride and Prejudice first? It was my favorite.
Thanks going to try to start this weekend. Need to stop watching so much TV. Dang Netflix

I love Emma; my oldest's middle name is Emma because of the book. Pride & Prejudice is my next fav, and then Sense. I also remember enjoying Persuasion. If you feel like watching any of the screen adaptations after reading, I highly recomment the BBC version of P & P with Colin Firth.

Back