All-Star Cali Aces Jamz Incident

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well.....this probably won't be a popular comment/question, BUT....
If girls had been taken off the floor, and medical personnel were working on them, Why would the other hurt girl bother to keep going? I just don't agree with placing 100% blame on the EP. If I tore my ACL and wanted to keep going, I'd keep going. If I didn't want to keep going, I'd walk off the floor. Isn't there some level of athlete responsibility in a situation like this? I doubt this girl has a ton of ill-will towards Jamz, because she made the decision to keep going....I'm sure she was a bit aware there were athlete/s that were already off the floor since she was involved in the crash.
That's just my 2 cents. Of course, I hope they have a speedy recovery and aren't too traumatized.

From what it looked like in the videos I watched, the ACL girl (for lack of a better term, I don't know them or their names) tried to keep going. She marked the 2 to full. Then the collision happened. I think the ACL girl and one of the girls in the collision were in the same stunt. The one girl from the collision walked to the spotter at the back of the mat and then the girl with the knee injury went to the side of the mat. the other girl from the collision was on center (i think?) so she wouldn't have known the other girls stepped off the floor.

The one thing that really bothered me was that both of these girls crashed into each other head first. They could have easily had a concussion or worse. Especially the girl that continued, she was doing the cartwheel stunt and tumbling. I think there should be some kind of standard that any type of head injury or collision should automatically stop the routine.

creator13 i can't believe no one stopped the music for your routine. Hope that poor girl is ok :(

I am a parent, so I don't know all the rules, but I thought at one point there was a rule that if the EP stopped your music during a routine, the team would be allowed to regroup and perform again, being scored from the point that the music was stopped. However, if a coach stopped the music, the team would not be allowed to perform again and would only be scored on the portion of the routine that was completed. I guess I thought that is why the athletes were taught to continue on with the routine (if you could) and if you were injured to get off the floor, but for others to keep going. I have seen a lot of routines where an athlete was hurt (or sick) but the rest of the team kept going and the injured athlete either got off the floor or moved to the side and out of the way.

Maybe part of the problem is that the policy of what to do when there is an injury is not standardized from EP to EP? I agree that if there is an injury on the floor the music and routine should be stopped.

We had an ACL tear over the weekend too and you can see me turn around and wave at judges to stop, and I was waving and yelling stop to the kids on the floor.....and after the music never stopped I didn't know what to do other than encourage them to continue....

not to take away from anything, but the fact that this girl had to scoot her way off the stage really makes me mad. someone should have picked her up or done something other than have her get herself out of the way.

Um wait? You don't have EMT at competitions?
We have EMT at EVERY competition. In warm up room and on the side of the competition stage. It's in country law that at every sports event EMT has to be there ( either it's football game or cheerleading competition)
USAF you have time to talk about NO high five after you hit the routine but you don't talk about having EMT at every competition. Oh you really disappointed me this time.
We have an EMT, but only because my coach is an EMT... I havnt seen an emt at competitions unless its nationals. I agree with you a lot!:)

At nationals about 2 years ago a friend of mine seriously hurt her elbow(she was out for over a year) and i screamed at her to get of the floor over and over but she wouldn't... When they finally stopped the music she gave up. There wasn't really any medical help at this competition and she waited over 6 hours to be seen in the emergency room, by that time her elbow was so swollen the xrays were pointless. At NCA nationals another girl broke her ankle on stage and the music was imeditaly stopped, she was rushed to a hospital after my coach (who is an EMT) said it was officaly broken. I never realized why their were girls or guys sitting in the corners of the floor but now I do and it helped a lot!!! I do believe that USASF needs to make specific rules on when to stop the music. NCA also gave us 45 minutes to get a fill in:)

Being a coach now, and an athlete in the past, that video literally made me sick to my stomach. As an athlete- I would have continued until the music was stopped. But, as a coach I would have done anything in my power for the athlete who was injured. Stopping the music would not really be my priority if my athlete is dragging him/herself across the mat sobbing. My priority is making sure they get medical attention if needed. Then again, the person playing the music at the competitions normally does not know that cheerleaders in competition "don't stop until the music stops". So I'm not sure if they are to blame either. This is just an unfortunate experience for these girls where I'm not sure if there is any one to 'blame'.

Is there a person from aces that can inbox me? I have a serious question but it would be inappropriate to ask with everyone here? Thanks :)

We had an ACL tear over the weekend too and you can see me turn around and wave at judges to stop, and I was waving and yelling stop to the kids on the floor.....and after the music never stopped I didn't know what to do other than encourage them to continue....

I think you did the right thing ! You tried and when you saw they were continuing you cheered them on and got them through.. and they did amazing for being down one :)

not to take away from anything, but the fact that this girl had to scoot her way off the stage really makes me mad. someone should have picked her up or done something other than have her get herself out of the way.

I agree! I was very disappointed...and there was no way the staff behind the curtains could not hear her screaming... But as soon as help was received they did an awesome job keeping the girl calm, and providing medical aid and information! It stinks that we didn't have a plan of action in place, and I hate it took an injury to create one. All we can do now is help to open the eyes of all coaches and EP's to have a plan for coaches, athletes, and music players, when situations like this happen.

My coach has a habit of talking in the middle of counting - "1,2, something, something, 5,6,7,8." He also has a bad habit of doing it on the exact counts we're supposed to pop down own - including from 2 1/2 high pyramids. We've never had an issues with it, but it has resulted in a few sloppy pop downs. It's not exactly the same, but it is disconcerting.

There's a difference between immediate and waiting two counts for a skill to finish. I'm sure you don't cut the music when your athletes are in the middle of a back tuck. And in that basket example, I'm sure your bases will catch the flyer, but if I was about to do my skill as the music cut out, I might start flipping and not finish. I've had coaches cut music right as you're about to pop for a double or throw a basket and I absolutely hate it. Maybe my bases won't throw all the way for a double - usually I'll straight cradle in that case if I catch it in time. But I hate, hate, hate it.
Agreed... And I know as a base, if theyre e unsure then one will throw and one won't (for a basket or cradle) and that could be really dangerous and just lead to more injuries. So if main base tried to keep throwing a stunt but secondary didn't or vice versa, you have serious potential for injury!

Back