High School Calling All Cali Coaches...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 28, 2009
Can we please discuss the implications of becoming a sport next season? Our school is trying to be proactive, but I'm curious how other schools are going to implement these changes.

Will sideline still be considered a sport for your school? Do you compete? If you do STUNT, where will this fall? How do you compete if you have to stay within a set season? We've gotten word it will be a spring sport, so practice cannot begin before February. Do you make your sideline team go to camp if they aren't considered a sport? I have so many questions.

Can we please discuss the implications of becoming a sport next season? Our school is trying to be proactive, but I'm curious how other schools are going to implement these changes.

Will sideline still be considered a sport for your school? Do you compete? If you do STUNT, where will this fall? How do you compete if you have to stay within a set season? We've gotten word it will be a spring sport, so practice cannot begin before February. Do you make your sideline team go to camp if they aren't considered a sport? I have so many questions.

NJ has been trying to get this to pass as well.
Some issues that present its self are :

Timing of season. - meaning it will be a multi season sport and will require tryouts at start of each season, so fall cheer is sideline for football and beginning of comp for us.
Tryouts are May, camp and choreo are August and games begin sept
Comps begin in October, we compete UCA so regionals is November, and it will require. New tryout bc that is now winter season, and possible new girls joining right before regionals could be a mess.

Location- another issue is that they are stating no teams in NJ school sports can travel out of state.. Bye bye Nationals
And we have some big name teams here in jersey, hunterdon central, Burlington, north hunterdon, Del Val, Warren hills, pinelands,
Lots of power teams
This would NOT be good.

Camp would also present another issue, bc camp for a lot of schools is pre season of the fall season start so all teams would be trying to cram camp in at the 2nd to last weekend in August.
Same with choreo, no where near enough time for that.

So while we all want to see cheerleading acknowledged as a "sport" and see them as athletes... It could pose a lot of issues as well.
Double edge sword I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the bigger implication that it'll just take one significant issue for this to hit the Supreme Court and they'll shoot it down again?

This is seriously my biggest nightmare. Sideline cheer is NOT a sport, however if you add in a flashy halftime with stunts and tumbling does it become one? If cheerleading the sport is spring, event companies will cater to this. But what do you do about football and basketball season? If you are using the same kids, you are essentially breaking the rules for a spring sport and practicing before your allowed date.

We are looking to make sideline essentially a club, and comp would be the sport that falls under athletics. This opens up a whole other can of worms, but right now seems to be the best and easiest approach. However, by being a club we can make cuts (not really my big issue) but it also means we cannot prevent someone from joining and expecting to hit the sideline the next week. Clubs have open enrollment all year long. This is also pending the school purchasing uniforms, because we are already in the position that if a member of the team cannot pay for a uniform, you either fundraise or nobody gets them. That is the California law.

I know a lot of schools are putting this all off because it's not until 16-17 season, but I'm concerned about planning the logistics of this now so we can use this season as a "trial" run.

NJ has been trying to get this to pass as well.
Some issues that present its self are :

Timing of season. - meaning it will be a multi season sport and will require tryouts at start of each season, so fall cheer is sideline for football and beginning of comp for us.
Tryouts are May, camp and choreo are August and games begin sept
Comps begin in October, we compete UCA so regionals is November, and it will require. New tryout bc that is now winter season, and possible new girls joining right before regionals could be a mess.

Location- another issue is that they are stating no teams in NJ school sports can travel out of state.. Bye bye Nationals
And we have some big name teams here in jersey, hunterdon central, Burlington, north hunterdon, Del Val, Warren hills, pinelands,
Lots of power teams
This would NOT be good.

Camp would also present another issue, bc camp for a lot of schools is pre season of the fall season start so all teams would be trying to cram camp in at the 2nd to last weekend in August.
Same with choreo, no where near enough time for that.

So while we all want to see cheerleading acknowledged as a "sport" and see them as athletes... It could pose a lot of issues as well.
Double edge sword I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see them not allowing nationals way too many teams go. The season start thing was also an issue in NY as our season "started" on August 17th as it does for football,soccer,etc. That became our tryout date and we were only able to have a few clinics the days before tryouts and if you wanted to workout more our coach had luckily arranged for us to go to an all star gym for tumbling and stunt practice. And with the new rules out middle school team was no longer able to go to Trail's end with us, which is especially necessary since a lot of the girls are brand new and need help in technique and basics, and it also encourages bonding.

We also had the same issue but NY regionals is in December, which since a UCA person helped make the rules for the state, allowed breathing room for tryouts and for teams to "get enough practices in" before the regional. Hopefully they keep allowing nationals teams to go, it would be a huge loss to see Jersey teams not able to go to UCA/NCA.

There's a breakdown in something, somewhere. Folks, all of these state athletic associations are affiliated with NFHS. NFHS endorses UCA nationals. The director of AACCA sits on the rules committee for NFHS spirit. I want to know WHY and HOW all these associations came about to make rules preventing teams from going to UCA. Do these same state associations prevent basketball teams from going to out of state tournaments? When I was in HS (KY), our boys basketball team went to Florida three times and Las Vegas once for basketball tournaments. We went every year and cheered on the sidelines.

There's a breakdown in something, somewhere. Folks, all of these state athletic associations are affiliated with NFHS. NFHS endorses UCA nationals. The director of AACCA sits on the rules committee for NFHS spirit. I want to know WHY and HOW all these associations came about to make rules preventing teams from going to UCA. Do these same state associations prevent basketball teams from going to out of state tournaments? When I was in HS (KY), our boys basketball team went to Florida three times and Las Vegas once for basketball tournaments. We went every year and cheered on the sidelines.
I'm like 95% sure all sports in VA aren't allowed to go out of state. At least those were the rules when I was in high school about 10 years ago, things definitely could have changed since then.

I'm like 95% sure all sports in VA aren't allowed to go out of state. At least those were the rules when I was in high school about 10 years ago, things definitely could have changed since then.

That may very well be the case. It's just mesmerizing to me how we are doing this stuff in Kentucky, but we are considered the most inbred, cousin-humping state in the union.

That may very well be the case. It's just mesmerizing to me how we are doing this stuff in Kentucky, but we are considered the most inbred, cousin-humping state in the union.
Are or were? Are the teams still able to go out of state, or are you talking about when you were in school?

Are or were? Are the teams still able to go out of state, or are you talking about when you were in school?

Still able to, may not do such extravagant trips because of budget constraints, but they absolutely go out of state.

At the school where I currently coach:

Cross country has recently been to myrtle beach

Baseball and softball go to Florida almost every year

Basketball played an out of state tourney this year, but it was just north in Indiana.

Still able to, may not do such extravagant trips because of budget constraints, but they absolutely go out of state.

At the school where I currently coach:

Cross country has recently been to myrtle beach

Baseball and softball go to Florida almost every year

Basketball played an out of state tourney this year, but it was just north in Indiana.

I can't remember any teams from my high school ever going out of state, but I'm sure each state makes their own rules on if teams get to travel out of state or not.

Okay, just read what everyone was talking about, so interesting you all just brought this up... I actually JUST had a meeting with my DO about this and THIS upcoming year we changed our entire program to a "trial run" this a program of "seasons" of cheer :
We have Sideline cheer or "football squad" now (cheers volleyball and football and has min of 20 hrs community service. Starts summer to Nov) , COURTSIDE cheer (Nov to April, dance centered that cheers wrestling, basketball and soccer, 15 hrs community service) and Comp...( runs Oct through March/April , can not participate in COURTSIDE cheer while participating in comp) however, Sideline is treated as a club.. So.... They all try out at the same time but we divide everything up... Now here lies the solution. Or what one might call a "loop hole".... If you participate in sideline as a club or even if it IS considered a sport it's a completely different SEASON... Or different TYPE of Sport... Like Football is in Fall and Basketball is Winter and it's perfectly acceptable for one to participate in both... We have increased squad numbers to Accomodate those who are competition and not.. And will be work competing stunt groups during "football"... Season.. Work pyramid and stunt sequences during season then choreo it all together Immediately in November/ October if I can get away with it. In what one would call (the worst week of our LIFE) from what I understand the whole SPORT thing doesn't happen until 2017/18 school year. So this year... Comp will run earlier. I wasn't diggin the whole Sport thing...knew this was going to happen...

Last edited:
Back