High School Calling All Cali Coaches...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

After speaking to many people at both Jamz and Varsity, I've been told the "sport" will actually be STUNT-not normal competition cheer as we know it. We will see how this pans out... We've given up and are doing things exactly how we have before for this season, and we will deal with the next as it comes.

After speaking to many people at both Jamz and Varsity, I've been told the "sport" will actually be STUNT-not normal competition cheer as we know it. We will see how this pans out... We've given up and are doing things exactly how we have before for this season, and we will deal with the next as it comes.
Of course I'm not in Cali, so this doesn't effect me at all, just curious.

So competition cheer is STUNT only? Am I understanding correctly that STUNT and sideline would be the only options? Will there no longer be competition cheer as well all know it, or am I misunderstanding?

I had to look up STUNT
USA Cheer -

STUNT Overview

The video is very informative.

I originally wrote this extremely long post that basically said 1) I clearly had no idea what all this meant, and 2) I can't see this going over well.

Why couldn't schools just offer tumbling as a PE class? With a proper gymnastics/cheerleading coach and matts/trampolines. Boys and girls could both improve their skills in PE and the coach/facilities could be used by the cheer team. (Tumbling makes for good divers too).

I had to look up STUNT
USA Cheer - STUNT Overview
The video is very informative.

I originally wrote this extremely long post that basically said 1) I clearly had no idea what all this meant, and 2) I can't see this going over well.

Why couldn't schools just offer tumbling as a PE class? With a proper gymnastics/cheerleading coach and matts/trampolines. Boys and girls could both improve their skills in PE and the coach/facilities could be used by the cheer team. (Tumbling makes for good divers too).

In my 6th grade PE class, we had a gymnastics unit. They didn't teach tumbling, but probably a quarter of us could tumble and were allowed to. We made routines and had to show them as our "evaluation" of the unit. It was weird, but if it was done better by someone qualified it would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I hear, sideline, competition and STUNT would all be different. This makes sense because word is the sport will be spring, beginning in February for practice and competing late March to May.

Varsity is fighting hard to keep comp as it is... The money lost from camps and competitions would be huge and I'm sure they won't go down without a fight.

I still thinks they're gonna let you all go they're not gonna stop so many teams that make finals/win it all from going. There would be way too big of a stink if it occurred.
we will see how it all goes. Hopefully they just really have ALL of cheer in mind when making final decisions about calling it a sport... Not just some or an "idea"of it...I also hope they understand that sideline, competition and stunt are all very different things and while cheer is highly competitive and should be respected ...it isn't easily "categorized" and can't just be canned,labeled and placed on the "sports" shelf. :/

we will see how it all goes. Hopefully they just really have ALL of cheer in mind when making final decisions about calling it a sport... Not just some or an "idea"of it...I also hope they understand that sideline, competition and stunt are all very different things and while cheer is highly competitive and should be respected ...it isn't easily "categorized" and can't just be canned,labeled and placed on the "sports" shelf. :/

Do you guys know who's making the new rules? I think the reason why NY managed to be able to still go to any nationals was because we had someone from UCA help make the rules. If you have reps from the cheer companies in the meetings, they'll be able to give perspecive to the athletic people who won't have as much knowledge.

Do you guys know who's making the new rules? I think the reason why NY managed to be able to still go to any nationals was because we had someone from UCA help make the rules. If you have reps from the cheer companies in the meetings, they'll be able to give perspecive to the athletic people who won't have as much knowledge.

On the CIF Page (link below) there is a link to the advisory board... There are a lot of STUNT coaches on there...
Advisory Board for CIF Cheer

I see losal and Mira Mesa who are known for going to nationals. I would think that STUNT coaches have background in cheer so they can say "let the cheer teams go to nationals and we'll keep STUNT separate."

Oh, I'm sure they do have that background :) I just recognized the names from the STUNT list. It looks like a well mixed group, it will be interesting to see what they come up with

Unfortunately California might be out for NHSCC unless the Sunday no contact rule gets some kind of modification. They lumped competition cheer in with stunt last minute after many of our tryouts already took place... causing quite the mess for us. We have two squads red and gold USA and UCA so I have parents confused and upset kids crying... the whole bit. I have amazing kids this year with great hearts for what they, do thinking they tried out for one thing and feel completely cheated. Also, what does this mean for nationals? The biggest state in the country won't be attending a true national tournament. No: Mater Dei, Eldo, Mira Mesa, Oak Ridge, Santa Margharita, Los Alamitos ? The other unfortunate part our competition team often still meets and greets for a lot community service events, many of which take place on Sunday's... many of the kids double as Sideline cheerleaders- does his mean they can't attend relay for life? Or attend our annual Sunday caroling at the convalescent home with fear of violating CIF ruling? It's volunteer and in conjunction with their participation on Sideline. So confused...

Last edited:
Back