All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@cheermommaRN there's a lot of talk and excitement from kids at both gyms about this possibility. I've seen more kids quit cheer completely this year (from various programs) then I've ever seen since being involved. The rumored location is also right in the path of many kids that travel long distances to other gyms.

I'm personally pretty excited for the kids that will have some other options. It can also completely change the dynamic of competitions here which will be a great boost!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

That's right. You have to be virtually competition ready with all required skills - at tryouts - to be placed on that level team.

Their packet is online and that's basically what it says. All skills for that level with good technique!

Ex: you're not making a Worlds team at CA with a janky double you just started hitting last week.

All gyms with similarly deep talent pools have a similar philosophy.

So CA doesn't do progression? Like if you don't have your tuck without a spot at try-outs you will 100% not be on a level 3 team? Even if its very likely you'll get it within the next 3 weeks?

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't do progression", because we absolutely use progression in teaching skills. However, our standards for placement on a given level have gotten much higher over the last few years - largely in response to great programs like Stingrays, Cali, and SOT. You can't be competitive at NCA (and Texas in general) Levels 1-4 unless the vast majority of your team performs the maximum skills for your level with great technique. If you take a L4 team to a competition in our area with "iffy" standing backs, you will likely be at or near the bottom of your division.

We used to have more of a "if they are ready to work on L3 skills, they are on a L3 team" mentality - and for a couple of years, our 1-4s were not competitive nationally. Now it is more of a "you have mastered all of the L3 skills, NOW you can compete them" idea. We are constantly working to improve the way we do things, and that was a strategic adjustment to what our competitors were doing.

All of that being said, athletes' potential is considered and selecting teams is about much more than just tumbling skill. Tumbling is a big part of all star, but it is still less than half of the scoresheet. FWIW, I still believe that athletes advance through their skills just as quickly as before.

Last edited:
Sidenote: The rumor mill when it comes to new locations/mergers is seriously HILARIOUS sometimes.

Things I've heard about rumored mergers:

"I heard they require contracts for minis."

"I heard they have an in house tanning salon."

My kids have been in more than one program where both of these were true. And one program where tanning was "required" as "part of the makeup" (not a tanning contract per se, but close).

Anyway... Charlotte is on our list of places to move. Maybe they need a front desk person? I have LOTS of experience.

My kids have been in more than one program where both of these were true. And one program where tanning was "required" as "part of the makeup" (not a tanning contract per se, but close).

Anyway... Charlotte is on our list of places to move. Maybe they need a front desk person? I have LOTS of experience.

If you get a desk job at CA - Charlotte please change your name to "Just-a-CA-Front-Desk-Lady"

I think CAC would have more to worry about then CEA. CEA has a very different coaching style and how they create teams then CA. For instance CEA will place kids on up to 3 different teams with practices only being once per week for each team. CA doesn't do very many crossovers and you have to be performing at the top of the level of your team.
I don't think CAC has anything to worry about either. Just sayin.......

A girl I coached was from TX - never cheered before when I got her and within a year had a full and jumps to back. They're military so she moved recently to Charlotte and is cheering for school only now. They're dying to move back to Dallas and I always used to joke with her that when she's on a worlds team at CA I would be at worlds cheering her on. If CA goes to Charlotte I may be making a worlds trip sooner than I thought!! :cheering: Yay CA Charlotte!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't do progression", because we absolutely use progression in teaching skills. However, our standards for placement on a given level have gotten much higher over the last few years - largely in response to great programs like Stingrays, Cali, and SOT. You can't be competitive at NCA (and Texas in general) Levels 1-4 unless the vast majority of your team performs the maximum skills for your level with great technique. If you take a L3 team to a competition in our area with "iffy" standing backs, you will likely be at or near the bottom of your division.

We used to have more of a "if they are ready to work on L3 skills, they are on a L3 team" mentality - and for a couple of years, our 1-4s were not competitive nationally. Now it is more of a "you have mastered all of the L3 skills, NOW you can compete them" idea. We are constantly working to improve the way we do things, and that was a strategic adjustment to what our competitors were doing.

All of that being said, athletes' potential is considered and selecting teams is about much more than just tumbling skill. Tumbling is a big part of all star, but it is still less than half of the scoresheet. FWIW, I still believe that athletes advance through their skills just as quickly as before.

Progression probably wasn't the right word, I just meant that some other gyms have more of a "we will progress you to be this level athlete by November" and I've seen that ca has a "you are this level athlete now so you'll be placed on this level"

Ca 1-4 teams have done a lot better recently so your method is clearly working for your gym.

very random question but is cheer athletics staying at the all star resort for worlds this year. i thought i heard something a few months ago that CA was staying somewhere else this year.

very random question but is cheer athletics staying at the all star resort for worlds this year. i thought i heard something a few months ago that CA was staying somewhere else this year.
We are not staying at the All Star this year. We are staying off the Disney property for a variety of reasons.

@BlueCat - can you tell me approximately how many of your kids youth age and under get and/or have gotten badly injured seasonally? I define "badly" as broken bones, concussions, torn and/or severely sprained ligaments and/or tendons, etc., not like mild ankle sprains, bruises, ocassional bleeding from being hurt at practice (like the nose for example), etc?

Eta- I also mean specifically while at practice or a comp, not at school, not on your property after practice, or once you're done w/them the day of a comp(so like kids stunting outside of your gym w/o permission, or at a comp when you're not coaching them, etc).

This is a sincere question btw- I'm just trying to get an idea for comparison.

Oh, and how do you go about picking qualified coaches? If you hire 'in house' (so like a former level 5/6 athlete of yours for example), do they start by teaching the minis and/or youth aged kids on the lower level teams or do you place them elsewhere? Do all of your coaches teach tumbling or are their special/specific tumbling coaches?

Back