All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No way... I had no idea she still cheered!! Makes sense now.

She said after Worlds last year it was her last year... then came back for this season too! She has said that this is her last year this year again but I would not be mad to see her on Wildcats again!
Hopefully she gets World Champ fever and rocks another season! I love her!

Once you've created and used the program, is this something you one day hope to sell/market to other gyms?

Our main goal right now is to develop the system to the point it really works well for our needs and refining it to be very powerful, but simple and elegant to use. We basically were growing faster than our previous system could easily handle.

i'm going to take a wild guess that your answer will be kind and that you won't comment on athletes' appearances - but would you ever tell your athletes to chill out on the tanning for comps because they look ridiculous?

Maybe it is because I see them every day, or maybe the lights and video make it seem worse on a computer screen, but I haven't really noticed that being an issue. The silly-looking "conehead" bump on the hair on nearly every athlete at every program bugs me more than skin tone.

It seems, however, that several people think it is distracting, so we will look in to it.

I know Worlds is still going on right now, so feel free to wait a few days to answer, but since you have expressed dissatisfaction with the worlds process before, at what point does it become too much? Would you ever consider abstaining from competing in a boycott of sorts? I was just curious since y'all had four teams involved in all of the craziness tonight. Not knowing which venue you're competing in, having multiple ridiculously long delays, warming up and re warming up, competing past the legal bedtime limit, it just seems to me like someone (not saying it should be you) has to step up and make it clear to the powers that be that this is unacceptable.

The idea of using a larger arena is a step in the right direction. I have been begging for that since about 2006. However, seeing the bigger crowd did NOT make think "Oh, this is now a great place for Worlds" . . . it made me wonder what Worlds could be like if they moved it to somewhere spectacular. I still feel that they are forced to do things to purposely curtail the crowd. (expense, finals on Monday, etc.) I think the opportunity cost to USASF and the growth of the sport in general for keeping the event at WWS is enormous.

There were kinks in the sound system that caused the delay. I'm not sure if that was a USASF issue or not. Obviously, it is infuriating as a coach to have interruptions in the warmup time line and the inexcusably late performance times. It is hard not to play the "what if" game and think that some of those circumstances led to mistakes in routines. Ultimately, however, the best teams should be able to handle an unfamiliar environment and warmup and still perform flawlessly.

Normally, I wouldn't comment on the tan thing, but my 13 year old is convinced that she needs to tan before attending SuperCAmp this summer. I'm not positive that it's a coach/gym issue, but I do wish there was a healthier view towards skin care being broadcasted by these popular teams. We're in Seattle, though, so I know there are regional differences. ;)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Normally, I wouldn't comment on the tan thing, but my 13 year old is convinced that she needs to tan before attending SuperCAmp this summer. I'm not positive that it's a coach/gym issue, but I do wish there was a healthier view towards skin care being broadcasted by these popular teams. We're in Seattle, though, so I know there are regional differences. ;)

It isn't something that is coming from the staff. (We do not want an unnatural look on the floor.) Again, I will look in to it going forward.

Obviously, she does not need to tan to go to SuperCAmp.

I worded that strangely. I meant it's mostly outside the control of the gym, being that skin color is a personal issue. I didn't have any thought that you all are requiring a supertan, but being popular teams, they are broadcasting a message about how cheerleading should look...intentionally or not.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Maybe it is because I see them every day, or maybe the lights and video make it seem worse on a computer screen, but I haven't really noticed that being an issue. The silly-looking "conehead" bump on the hair on nearly every athlete at every program bugs me more than skin tone.

It seems, however, that several people think it is distracting, so we will look in to it.

well, i am with you one the hair ;)

i know tanning has become almost a norm for cheerleaders nationwide and i know most of the kids who do tan go up a shade or two for big occasions like worlds. it's common and not just your kids. i'm also not sure whether it could/would be a gym's place to tell the kids that they cannot go home and tan in their free time... but there were a handful of teams that it actually distracted me with, which is why i brought it up. i do think the white uniforms and dark backdrop had something to do with it. none of the kids with naturally darker complexions stood out to me, though, so i think the lights/camera/feed actually turned the spray tanned kids a shade of unnatural glowing orange.

well, i am with you one the hair ;)

i know tanning has become almost a norm for cheerleaders nationwide and i know most of the kids who do tan go up a shade or two for big occasions like worlds. it's common and not just your kids. i'm also not sure whether it could/would be a gym's place to tell the kids that they cannot go home and tan in their free time... but there were a handful of teams that it actually distracted me with, which is why i brought it up. i do think the white uniforms and dark backdrop had something to do with it. none of the kids with naturally darker complexions stood out to me, though, so i think the lights/camera/feed actually turned the spray tanned kids a shade of unnatural glowing orange.
Like little body builders.

Sorry about that...I started that post while I was in a class at work and when I got out I saw a bunch of people had already said something so I edited it to the dots...little did I know it had already posted.
Guilty of this --->:deadhorse:

Back