All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@BlueCat any thoughts as to why they would put Cheersport and NCA on back to back weekends? I looked at the Dallas Convention Center calendar and there is nothing posted for its usual weekend of February 28. Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Weren't they always back to back in the past or am I mis-remembering this? I can understand having them so close together in the past when Cheersport wasn't owned by varsity. However now that Varsity owns both, I would think they would lose some money having them so close together. I imagine there are some teams that wouldn't go to two big/expensive events back to back weekends.

How many athletes (on average) do you have age out a year?

And for those that age out but stay relatively close (especially ones that have grown up/spent many years with the program), do you encourage them to at least take one year off and experience college without super senior-ing (or immersing themselves more in collegiate cheer)?

It popped into my head this year with some of the athletes that I've always loved watching on your teams and seeing them talk about "being their last practice as a CA athlete/last worlds/etc". I'm definitely going to miss seeing some of their personalities/abilities on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^About this: I feel like cheer is a "you need to act while you're still conditioned to do it" sport.

Unless you live near a gym, it's hard to take a year from doing it competitively, then come back and still be competitive with other kids who are trying out.

It's not like say, a competitive swimmer who really only needs a pool and time to swim laps every day to stay competitive in a year off.

When you cheer, and you want to take a year off, you need to:

a.) live near a competitive gym.
b.) make time for privates to keep skills up.
c. ) have a stunt partner.
d.) make time to continue to learn new passes and such.

A year off when you're planning to try to come back is almost more stressful than going straight into super senioring or a college tryout.

I remember when Cheersport and NCA were the same weekend!!! My team was the only one from my gym to go to NCA, the rest went to Cheersport. I'm glad they are different now. Before the "split" it used to be almost that NCA was the west coast National Championship and Cheersport was the east coast National Championship.

How many athletes (on average) do you have age out a year?

And for those that age out but stay relatively close (especially ones that have grown up/spent many years with the program), do you encourage them to at least take one year off and experience college without super senior-ing (or immersing themselves more in collegiate cheer)?

It popped into my head this year with some of the athletes that I've always loved watching on your teams and seeing them talk about "being their last practice as a CA athlete/last worlds/etc". I'm definitely going to miss seeing some of their personalities/abilities on the floor.

I don't believe there is a single one-size-fits-all answer for every individual regarding formal education. Some young adults absolutely need to eliminate all of their extra-curriculars and spend every free moment studying. Others may benefit more from what they do outside of a lecture hall. The "right" blend is going to be different for every person depending on their goals, strengths, and personalities.

I did pretty well academically, but what I learned through sports, cheer, and extra-curriculars helped me FAR more than what I learned directly from textbooks or teachers standing at blackboards. You learn valuable lessons from sports and non-traditional activities that help enrich your overall learning experience. Football, cheer, track, gymnastics, theater, etc. are not replacements for sitting in a classroom, but they certainly add to the overall fabric of your education.

College cheer can be a fantastic experience, but it isn't automatically "better" than all star. (Same for high school cheer.) In most places they are very different experiences from each other. I love all star for many reasons and I don't think that it magically quits being useful/fun/worthy when someone hands you a diploma.

We have talked some people out of staying around for a super-senior year, and others we have helped convince their parents that staying around and going to a local college was a good idea. (For a few, that was the only way they were willing to set foot in any college.) It depends on the athlete and the situation.

Last edited:
Us Jersey girls are headed to Texas for week 3 of Supercamp this year. Any tips for a first timer? She's never done a camp before without a gaggle of cheer buddies, I think she's worried about being alone and friendless.
We went this last summer and had a blast. We did end up with several others from our gym attending as well however don't worry if you don't have a posse. It's Texas and everyone is friendly there. I should know I grew up there. It's part of our makeup to never meet a stranger.[emoji1]
We stayed at the hotel which was recommended so there were plenty of athletes attending the camp at breakfast and dinner and the pool. Make sure you have a burger at the nearest Whataburger while your there. Best fast food burger you'll ever have.[emoji1]

@BlueCat this may have already been asked (if it was I'm sorry), but when calling athletes after tryouts are the team names already picked out, or are the athletes simply told the division? And how long does it take to come up with new names? I feel like it would be hard to come up with new names by now with all the teams y'all already have!

@BlueCat this may have already been asked (if it was I'm sorry), but when calling athletes after tryouts are the team names already picked out, or are the athletes simply told the division? And how long does it take to come up with new names? I feel like it would be hard to come up with new names by now with all the teams y'all already have!

During the conversation, athletes are told the team name, division, practice times, and who will coach the team.

It definitely can take a while to come up with team names. Most of the "normal" names have been used up by now, so we have to get a little creative at this point.

@BlueCat I am not sure if it has been asked. But I was wondering what is your opinion of the sassy/ sexy choreography that have been choreographed into routines in the last few years? If there are things you think are inappropriate how do you handle it in your routines? Especially in sections of the routine when one athlete is highlighted? I am talking about leg rubs, almost twerking etc.

Back