All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The craziest one I've heard as an athlete, is the "your just a number" but taken to the extreme, I had people tell me they heard that we had to wear numbers at CA all year long, every practice bc there are so many athletes the coaches didn't bother learning your name. Which is obviously, not true.

Ummm....Ouch....

Odd ones I can think of:

1. Question we got: What time does the Cheer Athletics shuttle bus leave from Houston every week? Could we possibly get it to stop in xxxxxx - it is basically on the way.
2. We are secretly owned by NCA.
3. Average practice time: 6 hours a day, 7 days a week - with a boarding school.
4. If a judge is wearing a blue tie or shirt - that is signaling us that they will change the scores in our favor.
5. NCA chose blue as the mat color so that it would match our uniforms.
6. Common: We yell and scream at every athlete every day, and most go home crying. (Seriously?)

Last edited:
Odd ones I can think of:

1. Question we got: What time does the Cheer Athletics shuttle bus leave from Houston every week? Could we possibly get it to stop in xxxxxx - it is basically on the way.
3. Average practice time: 6 hours a day, 7 days a week - with a boarding school.
4. If a judge is wearing a blue tie or shirt - that is signaling us that they will change the scores in our favor.
5. Common: We yell and scream at every athlete every day, and most go home crying. (Seriously?)

This made me laugh!! We wish the 1st one was true though ;) ....passing thru Wacko :) As a parent, Just want to add....not only do the coaches know the athletes name, they know the parents too. We are like a big family & I wouldn't want my daughter anywhere else!!! Some of mine & my daughters closest friends we met at CA. :)

When did you first purchase your current gym? When you were looking into buying it, did you know that your gym would be one of the largest in the industry?

The craziest one I've heard as an athlete, is the "your just a number" but taken to the extreme, I had people tell me they heard that we had to wear numbers at CA all year long, every practice bc there are so many athletes the coaches didn't bother learning your name. Which is obviously, not true.
Odd ones I can think of:

5. Common: We yell and scream at every athlete every day, and most go home crying. (Seriously?)

I agree with whoever responded to Ariel with 'Ouch.' That was LITERALLY my first thought when I read that..
A shuttle bus...really? The judges wearing blue thing is hilarious...heaven forbid they mix up Cheer Athletics blue with Maryland Twisters blue..or even Cali blue?

Although I will admit I assumed CA teams practiced hard/longer hours (not that most gyms don't practice hard ;))...that number is a bit out of my initial range.

These may not be under rumors category . . altho . . i feel like . . . others may have wondered . .
Personally to @BlueCat , how was it for you when
1. CA Panthers had a rough day on Finals of Worlds 2008? . . . like everyone was talking about the substitute girl and blaming CA's schedule of try-outs right before Worlds. Panthers were one of the predicted front runners of that year and even I was shocked watching worlds [thru VOD] that year

2. CA Wildcats lost to TOPGUN in 2007? . . . I know those two were one of the closest and toughest to call . . .

3. People call your routines as "All technique but NO entertainment" ?

Special Question. What was your all-time favorite CA Level 5 Routine? Why?

When did you first purchase your current gym? When you were looking into buying it, did you know that your gym would be one of the largest in the industry?

We have been in our current gym for about 7 years. We were in the previous gym about 5. We had kind of bounced around a bit the first 5 years.

When we started, a "large" gym was one with 50 kids. People thought it was absolutely insane that we had 4 teams in 1996. We used to focus on being the biggest program in the country, and we were for several years. Now that isn't as important to us any more. (Which is probably good, since we probably aren't even close to having the largest enrollment.)

I believe that our gym is the largest cheer-specific gym anywhere, but I could be wrong. Ross of Ross Athletic said he though we had the most permanent spring floor square footage of any facility in the world, including gymnastics. (Even large gymnastics programs don't really need more than 2-3 spring floors.) There really isn't an easy way to confirm either of those things, though.

I agree with whoever responded to Ariel with 'Ouch.' That was LITERALLY my first thought when I read that..
A shuttle bus...really? The judges wearing blue thing is hilarious...heaven forbid they mix up Cheer Athletics blue with Maryland Twisters blue..or even Cali blue?

Although I will admit I assumed CA teams practiced hard/longer hours (not that most gyms don't practice hard ;))...that number is a bit out of my initial range.

As far as I know, we practice less total time than anyone. It used to be 3 hours a week total - we have upped that to a whopping 3.5 hours a week now.

These may not be under rumors category . . altho . . i feel like . . . others may have wondered . .
Personally to @BlueCat , how was it for you when
1. CA Panthers had a rough day on Finals of Worlds 2008? . . . like everyone was talking about the substitute girl and blaming CA's schedule of try-outs right before Worlds. Panthers were one of the predicted front runners of that year and even I was shocked watching worlds [thru VOD] that year

2. CA Wildcats lost to TOPGUN in 2007? . . . I know those two were one of the closest and toughest to call . . .

3. People call your routines as "All technique but NO entertainment" ?

Special Question. What was your all-time favorite CA Level 5 Routine? Why?

1. A team having a rough day happens. Panthers have finished out of the top 3 at NCA or Worlds exactly once in 14 years I believe. That is much more consistency than most teams can claim. (For what it is worth, every "major" team in that division has finished out of the top 3 at Worlds at least once.)

We never blame a single athlete. It is a team sport. Besides, it's not like there was only 1 mistake anyway.

We had the same type of tryout schedule that year as we did this year - it didn't seem to bother Panthers now.

I happened to be in the Indiana Jones Theater watching Fiercekatz and Pumas both win Gold when the Panthers performance happened, so I didn't even know about it until later. People's perception of CA that year depended entirely on which venue you were in.

2. 2007 I believe we had a deduction than knocked our score lower than TG. That was a little tough to take, but we have been on both sides of that many times. TG is always tough to beat in any division - particularly when you have a tumbling touch out.

3. I have never heard that phrase applied to us, but I guess I can see why people think that. We have really worked on improving both our technique and our performance ability over the last few years, but I guess we have some work to do there. The more common one a few years ago was "all difficulty and no polish".

My all time favorite routine was the 2004 Worlds routine that won the all-girl division. We finally got the opportunity to stack most of our very best kids on one team instead of spreading them out like we normally do.

Back