All-Star Cheer Camps/clinics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SL&AM

Cheer Parent
May 13, 2014
Worth it? Yeah or nay?

It's not an away camp (she's not old enough yet), but a clinic type camp in July for 3 days. The price is reasonable, it's being put on by a well known and trusted organization (Cheer Athletics) and I've talked to the organizer at the gym hosting and she thinks DD is more than capable/ready to handle the long hours.

The only major con is the distance from our house to the hosting gym is about an hour and a half, so I'll be booking a hotel for those three days. I figure, as long as it has a pool and free Wi-Fi, we'll be happy.

So, thoughts? Experiences?

CP has not been, but knowing CA reputation, I would definitely do it :) how fun!!

We try and do a clinic each summer. Last year we went to CEA Raleigh and spent the week, CP basically spent 6 hours a day tumbling (we did two sessions) and came back with several new skills and more confidence in the ones she has before going. We live in Florida so we drove and ended up making it into a very relaxed vacation for the family. She was able to handle the long days just fine, she is 11.

This summer she is going to Woodward for a week with a couple of teammates and then to the Rays your Skills clinic at Stingrays for 3 days. Iwill end up driving down and getting a hotel room for the Stingrays Clinic. I personally have always found summer clinics a great way to work new skills for my CP. She really enjoys seeing other gyms and working in a new environment with coaches that may offer her new suggestions and tips she hadn't heard from her current coaches. I also found that she really pushes herself when she is a gym that she really admires.

I've heard fantastic things about Cheer Athletics camps! More than likely that will be our stop next summer now that they opened thier Charlotte location and it's a closer drive for us.

Good luck, I say if you can make it happen, give it a try!

Cp has been going to Woodward for years now. I would love for her to be able to go to a SuperCAmp or a CA clinic but too far for us. She will hopefully get to a WC one over the summer if they are holding it as they usually do in August. I think going to a big-name program for any kid is a thrill in itself if you are from a small gym, and it's always great to have the kids work with different, reputable coaches.

Worth it? Yeah or nay?

It's not an away camp (she's not old enough yet), but a clinic type camp in July for 3 days. The price is reasonable, it's being put on by a well known and trusted organization (Cheer Athletics) and I've talked to the organizer at the gym hosting and she thinks DD is more than capable/ready to handle the long hours.

The only major con is the distance from our house to the hosting gym is about an hour and a half, so I'll be booking a hotel for those three days. I figure, as long as it has a pool and free Wi-Fi, we'll be happy.

Supercamp is So Fun! If we could, cp would go to every single one. The kids meet other athletes from all over, they play games, they learn new skills and really clean up technique. It's a very low stress and encouraging environment. It's worth every penny.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It was fun, they had games, and worked on a little bit of everything. The staff was very nice as well.

The only thing I would do different next time is the level you select for your kid.

I was advised of this before hand when I posted on Facebook we were going and I did not take the advice and use it.:/

I would tell them when asked at sign in the level for the basic skills your kid is working on and not the level for the skills your kid has.

For instance, my daughter is a strong level 4 tumbler.

She just got hell full before we came. I went in thinking I was just going to be honest.

At check in the girl who we sign in with asked what level she was. Instead of saying 5 or 4 I just told the truth.

She has all level 4 tumbling, she just got her full. She can do it by herself just fine but may want a spot the first 1 or 2 times. The girl said ok we will place her in 4 but if she throws her full the coaches will likely move her. I said ok that sounds great.

They start tumbling and I realized the majority of 4 girls were girls that barely can do a tuck, they couldn't even really execute a layout or specialty anything. They were so far away from level 4 the coaches the whole class tumbling time on day 1 only did tucks and layouts with some. My kid has a layout and has had it for a while I don't think that's what she should of been working on.

I'm watching the level 5 girls and there are girls with really good specialty 5 tumbling in there but then there were many girls getting spotted on fulls the whole time, not even connecting them to specialty passes but straight fulls. I was like obviously that's where my kid should be since everyone else knew to up their kids skill level to the one they were working on instead of being honest!!

I was hopeful on day 2 my kid could do her full, but they did straight layouts and tucks the whole time, so I got a private with one of the coaches though so she could actually perfect her full and do some specialty tumbling.
The coach was awesome in the private! He found out what tumbling she could do, and he was helping her fix her full and work on standing tumbling. He said wow I didn't know she pretty much had her full. I'm sorry I'll make sure I work with her tomorrow (the last day) on it. So the last day she finally got to work on it and I noticed one other girl started doing hers as well after she seen my kid do it.

So my only complaint is they are trusting kids and parents to determine their kids level. Now think of tryouts and all those parents that think their kids belong on higher levels... Well that's the levels they tell the CA people. The level 4 coaches realized this was a group with a bunch of kids who would not be on a level 4 team so they adjusted with them but the ones that had the skill no one ever took the time to find out so my kid was doing tumbling that she can do in the grass at the house.

I had no problem whatever level they put her on 4 or 5 but I wish they would of made sure the kids were the same and not lying!

Eta: I think before they assign them levels they should have everyone split up into groups and warm up their tumbling and have them throw the passes they have without spots and the coaches then assigned them to levels. That way at least it would of been consistent and she would of got more out of it instead of being held back. The coaches know what they are doing, I just don't think some of the parents and kids knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cp is going to CA Supercamp. We haven't been there before but I'm sure it's going to be a unforgettable experience. She's 9 and I have no concerns about the long days. I would say do it!

I told you! LOL :) Had to tease you about it a little!

It was fun, they had games, and worked on a little bit of everything. The staff was very nice as well.

The only thing I would do different next time is the level you select for your kid.

I was advised of this before hand when I posted on Facebook we were going and I did not take the advice and use it.:/

I would tell them when asked at sign in the level for the basic skills your kid is working on and not the level for the skills your kid has.

For instance, my daughter is a strong level 4 tumbler.

She just got hell full before we came. I went in thinking I was just going to be honest.

At check in the girl who we sign in with asked what level she was. Instead of saying 5 or 4 I just told the truth.

She has all level 4 tumbling, she just got her full. She can do it by herself just fine but may want a spot the first 1 or 2 times. The girl said ok we will place her in 4 but if she throws her full the coaches will likely move her. I said ok that sounds great.

They start tumbling and I realized the majority of 4 girls were girls that barely can do a tuck, they couldn't even really execute a layout or specialty anything. They were so far away from level 4 the coaches the whole class tumbling time on day 1 only did tucks and layouts with some. My kid has a layout and has had it for a while I don't think that's what she should of been working on.

I'm watching the level 5 girls and there are girls with really good specialty 5 tumbling in there but then there were many girls getting spotted on fulls the whole time, not even connecting them to specialty passes but straight fulls. I was like obviously that's where my kid should be since everyone else knew to up their kids skill level to the one they were working on instead of being honest!!

I was hopeful on day 2 my kid could do her full, but they did straight layouts and tucks the whole time, so I got a private with one of the coaches though so she could actually perfect her full and do some specialty tumbling.
The coach was awesome in the private! He found out what tumbling she could do, and he was helping her fix her full and work on standing tumbling. He said wow I didn't know she pretty much had her full. I'm sorry I'll make sure I work with her tomorrow (the last day) on it. So the last day she finally got to work on it and I noticed one other girl started doing hers as well after she seen my kid do it.

So my only complaint is they are trusting kids and parents to determine their kids level. Now think of tryouts and all those parents that think their kids belong on higher levels... Well that's the levels they tell the CA people. The level 4 coaches realized this was a group with a bunch of kids who would not be on a level 4 team so they adjusted with them but the ones that had the skill no one ever took the time to find out so my kid was doing tumbling that she can do in the grass at the house.

I had no problem whatever level they put her on 4 or 5 but I wish they would of made sure the kids were the same and not lying!

Eta: I think before they assign them levels they should have everyone split up into groups and warm up their tumbling and have them throw the passes they have without spots and the coaches then assigned them to levels. That way at least it would of been consistent and she would of got more out of it instead of being held back. The coaches know what they are doing, I just don't think some of the parents and kids knew.

Thank you for the responses, definitely some stuff to consider.

I'm excited for her to go and experience it.

Worth it? Yeah or nay?

My granddaughter has been to both Woodward PA and CA Supercamp. When she started going, she was 13 and is now 15.
We live in Florida so we had to fly to both locations.

Woodward- concentrates on tumbling. If you want to get some stunting in, you can try to get a group together in open gym. At Woodward, there is a few mandatory classes each day, but since it is a total camp experience (crafts, swimming, horseback riding, etc) the kids can pick and choose activities. So basically, they will get as much out of it as they want. The younger children are more closely supervised, but I'm not sure to what extent.

Cheer Athletics Supercamp - total cheer experience. Very structured and the coaches are awesome. They do break them down into skill groups. My granddaughter at the time had her running 3 to full, so I placed her in Level 5. She happened to be with awesome tumblers which both motivated her and intimidated her. She felt a little overwhelmed. She was in awe of the level of skill she saw. The hotel recommended on the site is very nice. They serve breakfast and dinner and is a very short drive to the CA facility.

I would say she got more out of the Cheer Athletics Supercamp in reference to skills and cheerleading.
At Woodward, the facility is amazing and the experience was awesome. She really enjoyed the "freedom" of doing other activites if she chose.

A side note: Woodward has a Skateboard/ BMX bike camp with BOYS and that can be in influence on teen-aged girls. LOL

I told you! LOL :) Had to tease you about it a little!
It sure was, I was so sad I didn't take your advice.
If your kid is working level 1 skills or has level 5 skills then those won't be a problem but I noticed it probably was the worst with level 4 and level 3!

You guys are stressing me out. ;) I guess my kid needs to solidify her level 4 skills over the next month to make her CA experience better?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It sure was, I was so sad I didn't take your advice.
If your kid is working level 1 skills or has level 5 skills then those won't be a problem but I noticed it probably was the worst with level 4 and level 3!

She's on the younger side, so there is no doubt I'd request for her to be put into Level 1. She's perfecting those and working on a few new LVL 2 skills this summer in her tumbling classes, but overall, LVL 1 is where she needs to be.

Definitely don't want to stress anyone out. My girls were a solid 4. They had good level 4 tumbling with nice technique. I give that credit to their gymnastics background. They had 3 jumps to standing tucks, standing 1 backhandsrping to layout, whips to layouts, specialty running and standing passes to layouts. They also sort of had their running round off back handspring fulls, but not pretty or consistent. So, when they asked what level I said 4 thinking they would get to work on improving and learning new skills. They basically practiced their layouts over and over again. I was disappointed because the camp was expensive. They could have done that at an open gym. With that said they did have a lot of fun, but they definitely didn't learn or work on any new skills. If we ever get the chance to go back I would say the tumbling level they are working on not their current level.

Back