All-Star Cheer Extreme Questions And Answers From Courtney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you don't want these questions asked over and over again don't make a thread telling posters to ask questions.

I feel like anytime a question is asked about CEA that is anything but unicorns and rainbows people get all huffy and puffy and call people haters and what not. The questions asked her straight up legit questions. If Courtney doesn't want to answer all she has to do is say that she doesn't want to answer.

I am been following this thread and all these questions are very interesting to me. I too cannot stand the excessive use of crossovers, but it is legal and there isn't much I can do about it. Just because I dislike it doesn't mean I don't respect Courtney as a business owner and on the accomplishments of her gym. She is an amazing coach and has done amazing things with her athletes that I can't deny, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with everything that happens inside that gym. I am sure there are things that Victor does inside his gym that I wouldn't agree with, but it doesn't mean I ignore all of the accomplishments without his gym. Same thing with Cheer Athletics, Stingrays, or any other gym.

Do you dislike the rules as set forth by USASF and NCA? Change them. There are usually 2-5 kids on JE that also cheer on SE. How does that deligitimize the sport of cheer.

SE did not attend NCA that year so the NCA crossovers rules do not apply. And yes, I think I've made it VERY clear that I dislike the USASF's rules on crossovers. lol If I COULD change them, I would. I promise. And the crossover issue with CEA goes way beyond just two teams from within the program. You are the one who asked me how many crossovers were on Raleigh small jr coed so I in turn asked how many were on those other teams. I answered you honestly. I just wanted an honest answer back. :) You say 2-5 on JE, fair enough. That's more than my entire program has.

Have anything to add?

Not really. I anticipated these types of discussions when these types of threads are started. How yall do things (however it really is) is your business and not mine to question. I wasn't a fan of the one poster bringing in religion. Just seemed unnecessary and weakens their point (usually when someone does that it gives the feeling that the original point by the poster was correct and they are upset the hard question was asked).

I debated if this thread should be closed but if I do close it I don't think that would paint CEA in a good light and it wouldn't be fare. So... I :enjoyshow:

Not really. I anticipated these types of discussions when these types of threads are started. How yall do things (however it really is) is your business and not mine to question. I wasn't a fan of the one poster bringing in religion. Just seemed unnecessary and weakens their point (usually when someone does that it gives the feeling that the original point by the poster was correct and they are upset the hard question was asked).

I debated if this thread should be closed but if I do close it I don't think that would paint CEA in a good light and it wouldn't be fare. So... I :enjoyshow:

Agree.

SE did not attend NCA that year so the NCA crossovers rules do not apply. And yes, I think I've made it VERY clear that I dislike the USASF's rules on crossovers. lol If I COULD change them, I would. I promise. And the crossover issue with CEA goes way beyond just two teams from within the program. You are the one who asked me how many crossovers were on Raleigh small jr coed so I in turn asked how many were on those other teams. I answered you honestly. I just wanted an honest answer back. :) You say 2-5 on JE, fair enough. That's more than my entire program has.

If you dislike USASF and NCA for allowing crossovers, may I suggest you take it up with them and not make CEA the object of your anger?

If you dislike USASF and NCA for allowing crossovers, may I suggest you take it up with them and not make CEA the object of your anger?

I LOVE NCA's crossover rules. No issues there. And I make sure my boss knows very clearly how I feel on the crossover issues with the USASF so that when he goes to vote our gym's feelings on the issue gets addressed that way. Unfortunately, there's no other way to do it. If I could stand on a rooftop and shout it out for all USASF committee members to hear, I would do it. Wait, I kinda thought that IS what I am doing on here since so many of them read this board. I apologize if my issues with CEA's use of crossovers offends you. You aren't the owner so why are you disgruntled? This thread was started by Courtney so why not just let her answer?

IIRC BlueCat started the Ask Questions about my gym thread. It was a great hit and garnered lots of positive responses. Very few negatives at all. Then Courtney did the same following his lead. I am quite sure that she had to know that every question was not going to be sugar and spice and everything nice. Anyone who has read the entire thread can see where she has not answered every question asked of her. The reasons why do not matter. If she chose not to respond to the latest one it would of died away. But she did and people are weighing what was said against their personal knowledge - either because they competed directly against those teams, knew kids on those teams, knew their parents or because they read about it in social media. When this doesn't square with what others have been told or in many instances have read on other social media including your own gyms message board, this is what raises the level of madness.

StarshipTrooper - you have to know that you are a high profile program. That you are no longer the little gym from NC wearing teal trying to make a name for yourself. That ship sailed a long time ago. That is an accomplishment for sure especially in this economy, but also invites curiosity, questions and detractors. With popularity comes the criticisms - good or bad, real or imagined. Many of the things questioned are not to impugn accomplishments, but to understand the nuances of how things happened. However when you lump all who have questions that are not of the "OMG yall are so amazing and I will just die if I dont get a chance to come to your gym" variety into the hater bin, you create more haters than you placed there in the first place.

If I had a gym with 6 locations and could virtually pull crossovers from any of the 6 gyms - which the rules presently allow so it is not illegal - that is a major competitive advantage over one gym with 100 athletes. Anyone can see that. This is what Mo-Lissa is getting at with the tax id issue. Is it one gym 6 locations or 6 different locations operating under the same franchise tag? IIRC there was an article about CEA in a local paper in Kernesville a few years ago that pointed to the advantage of this business model as the reason for your phenomenal growth. When kids and parents say they are on several teams, it raises the crossover issue. When people working competitions post in social media about the crossovers that your program has used in the past it raises issues. When as Mo-Lissa and I have pointed out in the past of athletes who were from other programs that we intimately because we coached them that crossover or travel great distances to do so, to deny that it occurs is not factual.

It is more factual to say it is allowed under current USASF policy and we crossover as much as we please to achieve our program objectives. Standard answer, every time. No commentary or explanation needed.

Having coached in NC I know about the tryout thing. I remember hearing about it first hand from athletes and parents it affected both positively and negatively. I understand what you say and what was meant by the word "tryout." I don't agree but I understand. I can also tell you that it is not taken that way by everyone in your program. So if they are the ones that are posting and sharing this may be where some of this backlash is coming from. Since I am no longer in NC I personally dont care what you do because it does not affect me or the kids/parents I am working with.

As long as you are compliant with the rules which as we have all seen can be selectively enforced at times, I can't say much any more. I direct that criticism towards USASF, EP's, and Legality judges.

My biggest question is what defines a gym???? Somehow this is never answered successfully..... for instance Joey has showed great potential at Greenville, deserves a chance to go to Worlds with his level 5 skills, attends Moed re-evaluations and is put on the team!!! Yay!! Joey same gym, no problem!!! Sally goes to small gym no Worlds team, wants to attend a re-evaluation (since this is what we call it now) at a bigger gym to try to get to worlds, she has to go through release processes, and is looked at like a much shadier process.

I LOVE NCA's crossover rules. No issues there. And I make sure my boss knows very clearly how I feel on the crossover issues with the USASF so that when he goes to vote our gym's feelings on the issue gets addressed that way. Unfortunately, there's no other way to do it. If I could stand on a rooftop and shout it out for all USASF committee members to hear, I would do it. Wait, I kinda thought that IS what I am doing on here since so many of them read this board. I apologize if my issues with CEA's use of crossovers offends you. You aren't the owner so why are you disgruntled? This thread was started by Courtney so why not just let her answer?

No need to apologize. I have no real problem with your opinions. The asterik offends me a lot.

IIRC BlueCat started the Ask Questions about my gym thread. It was a great hit and garnered lots of positive responses. Very few negatives at all. Then Courtney did the same following his lead. I am quite sure that she had to know that every question was not going to be sugar and spice and everything nice. Anyone who has read the entire thread can see where she has not answered every question asked of her. The reasons why do not matter. If she chose not to respond to the latest one it would of died away. But she did and people are weighing what was said against their personal knowledge - either because they competed directly against those teams, knew kids on those teams, knew their parents or because they read about it in social media. When this doesn't square with what others have been told or in many instances have read on other social media including your own gyms message board, this is what raises the level of madness.

StarshipTrooper - you have to know that you are a high profile program. That you are no longer the little gym from NC wearing teal trying to make a name for yourself. That ship sailed a long time ago. That is an accomplishment for sure especially in this economy, but also invites curiosity, questions and detractors. With popularity comes the criticisms - good or bad, real or imagined. Many of the things questioned are not to impugn accomplishments, but to understand the nuances of how things happened. However when you lump all who have questions that are not of the "OMG yall are so amazing and I will just die if I dont get a chance to come to your gym" variety into the hater bin, you create more haters than you placed there in the first place.

If I had a gym with 6 locations and could virtually pull crossovers from any of the 6 gyms - which the rules presently allow so it is not illegal - that is a major competitive advantage over one gym with 100 athletes. Anyone can see that. This is what Mo-Lissa is getting at with the tax id issue. Is it one gym 6 locations or 6 different locations operating under the same franchise tag? IIRC there was an article about CEA in a local paper in Kernesville a few years ago that pointed to the advantage of this business model as the reason for your phenomenal growth. When kids and parents say they are on several teams, it raises the crossover issue. When people working competitions post in social media about the crossovers that your program has used in the past it raises issues. When as Mo-Lissa and I have pointed out in the past of athletes who were from other programs that we intimately because we coached them that crossover or travel great distances to do so, to deny that it occurs is not factual.

It is more factual to say it is allowed under current USASF policy and we crossover as much as we please to achieve our program objectives. Standard answer, every time. No commentary or explanation needed.

Having coached in NC I know about the tryout thing. I remember hearing about it first hand from athletes and parents it affected both positively and negatively. I understand what you say and what was meant by the word "tryout." I don't agree but I understand. I can also tell you that it is not taken that way by everyone in your program. So if they are the ones that are posting and sharing this may be where some of this backlash is coming from. Since I am no longer in NC I personally dont care what you do because it does not affect me or the kids/parents I am working with.

As long as you are compliant with the rules which as we have all seen can be selectively enforced at times, I can't say much any more. I direct that criticism towards USASF, EP's, and Legality judges.

I really have no way to answer that as I do not know the facts, if she chooses to so be it.

Back