All-Star Cheer Extreme Questions And Answers From Courtney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

srt418 said:
I cheered with Sharity years ago. She lived in Orlando then and drove to Jacksonville 2-3 times a week for practices at American Allstars. Like @Ceacoach said, her tumbling definitely speaks for itself. She is an awesome all around cheerleader, but her tumbling is amazing!

Sharity would come live with my family for extended periods of time during the season so she could make as many practices as possible when she cheered in Jax yet lived in Orlando. She has the heart and dedication like no one else I know. When she was sitting with me at worlds she told me "whoever would of guessed my dream of cheering here would actually come true". @ceacoach, thank you so much for making her dreams come true! You have inspired her to go get her dreams and never look back!

Is Sharity the girl who cheered with Epic last year at Worlds?

Is Sharity the girl who cheered with Epic last year at Worlds?

yes, Weezy she was at Epic in 2010. Her younger sister, is also very talented & I think she cheered at Double Down All Stars this past season.

yes, Weezy she was at Epic in 2010. Her younger sister, is also very talented & I think she cheered at Double Down All Stars this past season.

Oh ok. I met her mom last year at Worlds when she was on Epic. They were both very excited about her going to CEA and her mom was extremely supportive. Good for her.

Side bar...say hi to your sweet niece! Loved her!!

how do you deal with cheerleaders with mental blocks??
what helps them to get out of it?

I wish there was a solution. I can only share my experience:
Four Types:
1) after major growth spurt
2) due to over zealous involved, critical parent
3) due to major scary crash performing a skill
4) due to powerful athleticism that can't be harnessed

Prognosis: In order 1-4 the period of block seems to last longest. They are absolutely contagious as kids witness the fear and make it their own.

Treatment:
1) one one one address problem with athlete and SEPARATELY with parents
2) do not draw attention to it in team setting let athlete "run" her pass these are NeVeR resolved in public
3). Reshift focus to forward tumbling skills, arabians, etc so the athlete still looks forward to learning skills
4) go all the way back to the basics back walk over etc building confidence
5). Insist that parents find alternate ways to compliment their athlete stunt, dance, academics and NOT bring up the block (especially type 3)

Four Types:

Prognosis: In order 1-4 the period of block seems to last longest. They are absolutely contagious as kids witness the fear and make it their own.

Treatment:
2) do not draw attention to it in team setting let athlete "run" her pass these are NeVeR resolved in public
3). Reshift focus to forward tumbling skills, arabians, etc so the athlete still looks forward to learning skills
5). Insist that parents find alternate ways to compliment their athlete stunt, dance, academics and NOT bring up the block (especially type 3)

Wow! I don't think this could have been explained any better!

WHat would happen if I was moving down to North Carolina but not till like August. Would I still be able to tryout? Would I have to wait till next year?

If you do come, You would have to bring a shirt to trade with my little one :) Madison is a HUGE Chelsea Clark fan from super seniors. :)
I definately will!!! How old is Madison? Chelsea is an awesome girl and role model!!! We love her.

Four Types:

Treatment:

I would add a 5th type:
5) a child who is a perfectionist is at high risk
What are your thoughts on this?

Sharity stayed with a great host family and had caught up in school to the point that she didn't have to be in Florida every school day. I'd say her tumbling speaks for that, plus she loves it enough to make the commitment.[/quote

Which one is Sharity in the tumbling pass? or is there a video of her tumbling?

Four Types:

Treatment:

Can I say how much I completely LOVE this!! It should have it's own thread. My daughter had #3 and then #1 followed(by about a foot..lol)...and I admit when it happened it was hard to understand because it was like one day she was great at tumbling and the next day she lost it all:( and Im sure she sensed how sad I was for her and that didnt help either...but im proud to say she has never quit and has continued to chip away at that block. Plus she has become a better all round cheerleader because of being forced to focus on areas other than tumbling.

I definately will!!! How old is Madison? Chelsea is an awesome girl and role model!!! We love her.[/quote

Madison is 8. She was on youth elite and the all girl junior 5 team last year. :) Madison learned most of her advanced tumbling skills from Chelsea's brother Chase. He is an amazing, wonderful coach! We would love to meet her sometime. Her 1 1/2 to double is the deal! :)

Back