Cheer Pet Peeves?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

when people come to practice and don't do anything/ muck around
people that run across the floor during practice when you're about to tumble
teams that cheer when another teams stunt falls
people that say flying is harder than basing (both are equally difficult)
flyers only stretching and bases only conditioning

-the blame game when stunting
- people who don't learn required cheers at home, so instead of stunting, we have to go over them
- people who look down on you for taking so long to get skills. Sorry, but I won't let myself "just throw it" unless I know my technique is good and I won't hurt myself!

Last edited:
Girls who complain about not being flexible, but never stretch outside of practice.

Stunt groups who talk for twenty minutes after every single stunt.

Girls who say, That's too hard" or "I can't do that"

When girls all agree on how to do their hair and make up and they all show up to comp looking different because some girls didn't end up liking the eye make up or shade of lipstick.

Girls who say, "I'm an adult" but act like children.

I know it sounds like I coach middle schoolers but I coach a collegiate club team.

When all-star cheerleaders say, "high school cheer isn't a sport" as if all school cheer teams only do sideline. To me, that's even worse than an outsider making an ignorant remark about us.
It's even worse when they try to claim that they cheer because they want to work hard but school cheerleaders cheer for popularity. Yet they have the audacity to get mad when someone stereotypes them for being a cheerleader. Nothing frustrates me more than that.

That's always interesting because I've talked to a lot of school cheer coaches at whose schools cheer is FAR from an "activity for popular kids."

I'll be the first to admit that yes, last season, over half my school cheer kids were on Homecoming, Winter Formal, or Prom Court. And the Queens typically have been cheer or dance team members. But out of 27 girls, there were some who had zero interest in those types of things ever and were cool with their small group of friends.

We don't have experience with the older kids or the higher levels so some of these issues haven't happened to us yet. But what does bother me is owners or coaches kids on teams. Right now on our current team ( which we are leaving) we have 2 owners kids and 2 coaches kids. The owners do a nice job of not highlighting their kids or always having them be center. I do however think one is placed a level too high. But the coaches kids...ugh....they are 2 levels too high. Always the flyer. Always in the front center.

:mad:The only thing that makes me as angry as hearing our own insult us is hearing a girl (or a guy) that has never cheered before say, "I've played softball, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. (essentially every sport known to man), so I can say that cheer isn't hard and isn't a sport. I once read a comment on some blog from a guy who claimed that because he had been a professional and collegiate athlete, he had license to tell a woman to take her daughter our of competitive cheerleading, saying that it's a bad sign if people view cheering for other athletes as being competitive. I was disgusted by his ignorance; at the same time, that laughing baby Vine was playing in my head, as it always does when I hear/see idiots speak.

Last edited:
:mad:tThi the only thing that makes me as angry as hearing our own insult us is hearing a girl (or a guy) that has never cheered before say, "I've played softball, baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. (essentially every sport known to man), so I can say that cheer isn't hard and isn't a sport. I once read a comment on some blog from a guy who claimed that because he had been a professional and collegiate athlete, he had license to tell a woman to take her daughter our of competitive cheerleading, saying that it's a bad sign if people view cheering for other athletes as being competitive. I was disgusted by his ignorance; at the same time, that laughing baby Vine was playing in my head, as it always does when I hear/see idiots speak.
That's when I say "I played softball, basketball, and soccer as a kid... I quit them for cheer and I can tell you it's harder."

Back