All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i find it kind of peculiar that a 16-year-old can get a private pilots license with about ~80 hours of training, but you have to be 18 to have a full unrestricted license in MO, OR, MN, IL, GA , FL, OH, NH, NV, CT, IN, MD, PA, MA, NJ and be 21 in ME and DC
That's wild. I got my permit in Oregon years ago on my fifteenth birthday. I just took a written test and I was behind the wheel. With an adult that is but no other restrictions). Then, on my sixteenth birthday I took the driving test and got my license. Again, there were no restrictions whatsoever. Truth is that I'd been driving everywhere since I was about 12 years old anyway. We didn't live in a city though.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

i find it kind of peculiar that a 16-year-old can get a private pilots license with about ~80 hours of training, but you have to be 18 to have a full unrestricted license in MO, OR, MN, IL, GA , FL, OH, NH, NV, CT, IN, MD, PA, MA, NJ and be 21 in ME and DC

Weird... I'm from Maine and never realized that my license was provisional until last year. I also used the "I'm so scared because I've never been pulled over before sorry I can't stop shaking" excuse multiple times and got off scot-free...

I'm confused as to how driving works in the US?

In England, you can apply for a provisional licence 3 months before your 17th birthday. From 17 onwards you can learn to drive. Before you book your on road driving test you have to take a theory written test. Once you've passed both, you're free!!!

keep in mind that it varies state to state here. in NJ, if you choose to pay for behind the wheel driving instruction (and pass the written test), you can get a one year permit from 16 - 17 where a licensed driver over a certain age (either 21 or 25? can't remember) must be in the passenger's seat at all times. then at 17 you can take the road test and if you pass you get a "provisional" license that limits the number of passengers allowed in the vehicle as well as the hours you are allowed on the road (i think they must be off the road by 12:00 am?) then at 18 you get a full license with no restrictions.

i do believe NJ is one of the stricter states, though.

In NY, you go take your written test on your 16th birthday (or after) and if you pass, you get your permit. With your permit you can drive with anyone over 21. Then you had to either take drivers ed or a 5 hour safety course and have a letter signed off by your parents saying you've driven 50 hours with them and then you could sign up to take your road test. If you took Driver's Ed right after getting your permit, you could have potentially gotten your license in about 3 months (which is what I did). My sister is a year younger than me and they made a law saying you had to wait six months after getting your permit before you can take your road test. I believe that changed to a year, this January.

When I got my license at 16, I had a Junior license, meaning I couldn't drive after nine and with more than 2 people under 21 in the car. If you took driver's ed, your license changed to a regular license at 17 and if you didn't it changed to a regular license at 18.

All these rules are different for New York City and couldn't tell you what their actual rules are.

In England, you can apply for a provisional licence 3 months before your 17th birthday. From 17 onwards you can learn to drive. Before you book your on road driving test you have to take a theory written test. Once you've passed both, you're free!!!

In Wisconsin you start taking drivers ed at age 15-ish, you can't take your temps test (written test,temporary license ) until you are 15 1/2. Then you practice driving with an adult 21 or over in the car. You need to have your temps for 6 months before you can sign up for our road test (so if you take temps test at 15 1/2, in 6 months you'll be 16 for road test). Then you take your road test. Varies a little depending where you go. I had to do it all, parallel, y-turn, parking up hill, reverse in a straight line. Once you get your license, it's technically a "probationary license" so for the first 9 months (maybe a year) you can only drive with one other passenger in the car (unless it's family, then as many as you want). After 9 months then your free!! But once you turn 18 you still need to get a new license card because yours still says "probationary" on it.

You have to be 18 for no restrictions in CA, too. I think it's just that you can't drive between 11 pm and 5 am and you can't drive anyone under the age of 25, except for siblings (but then you have to have a very specific note from parents saying exactly when, where, and why you're going where you are and why an older driver is unavailable to take them).

Weird... I'm from Maine and never realized that my license was provisional until last year. I also used the "I'm so scared because I've never been pulled over before sorry I can't stop shaking" excuse multiple times and got off scot-free...
I'm pretty sure that it's 18 in Maine.. I'm actually like 99.9% positive.

I'm pretty sure that it's 18 in Maine.. I'm actually like 99.9% positive.
I was going by this wiki article...

Driver's license in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but now that i read more, it becomes a bit confusing...

Licensing & State Laws | AAA Keys2Drive

looks like unrestricted can be reached just before one's 17th birthday someone getting their license at 18-21 is considered a juvenile and can still be provisional. i guess thats that the wiki referred to... max age that one can be provisional.

I'm moving to England to get my licence!!!!!!! Absolutely hate our system!

Actually you only technically need 40 hours logged to get a pilots license but in reality it will end up more like 60 to get everything checked off.

Kansas changed the law from full license at 16 to now 17. I took drivers ed through my high school then just had to take a written test at the DMV. But you can still get a farmers license at 14 and able to drive to and from work and school at 15-16

On a side note - who's excited for cheerhab?! I know I am!!!!

I'm real anxious to see it. Anybody know if any of those kids make it out alive ? Ha! My daughter has had both Eddie and Orby for a coach. They're good at what they do but you have to be tough to survive a boot camp with those guys. There will be no mercy I'm sure. Can't wait to watch it.

Back