All-Star Cheerleaders Season 2!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

this season so far...
mhy45y.jpg

Your wrong, other teams like Top Gun have been using out of state athletes for many years. Maybe that fact wasn't so well publicized. But, the use of out of state athletes is nothing new.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
You aren't getting what I'm trying to say. I know that Top Gun and many other gyms use out of state athletes! What I'm saying is, their coaches put out their email even before Worlds to have people send in videos of their skills to be a part of the team! Which gives the kids that are already at Cali even less of a chance to be on Smoed! Kids that have been at Cali for years! I wonder how this makes some of the Cali kids feel...!

Last edited:
who the heck is Marci? and why is her gym switching national news?

i unfollowed our very own Perez today, because i'm over it. maybe ill consider following again when it's comp updates, but i don't give a $h!!!t about who these kids are or where they are cheering (in the nicest, most loving way possible.)

CALI has open tryouts. Are you saying they should only have tryouts that include CALI athletes ? I don't feel that tryouts by invitation only are very fair. But, plenty of gyms restrict tryouts that way. Open tryouts, how can you be more fair than that ? Yes, if you have a winning team people want to be a part of that and the completion increases. That's true for all teams, not just SMOED. In theory, you could make Plastix one year and the next year make Code 3 because the competition in tryouts was that much tougher than the previous year (despite improved skills). That's the price you pay to be a part of a successful program. And, hopefully it results in your development of skills beyond what they would be otherwise.

I'm not saying that it's not fair! I'm saying that it's giving Cali kids that have been at Cali for years even less of a chance to be on Smoed!

You aren't getting what I'm trying to say. I know that Top Gun and many other gyms use out of state athletes! What I'm saying is, their coaches put out their email even before Worlds to have people send in videos of their skills to be a part of the team! Which gives the kids that are already at Cali even less of a chance to be on Smoed! Kids that have been at Cali for years! Also, Angel Rice made Smoed before tryouts for Cali were even announced. I wonder how this makes some of the Cali kids feel...!

I think that what Cali does is more public however not abnormal. Their are several level 5 teams I can name who have less then 50% of their team as homegrown kids. Most of the kids come to the gym to tryout for level 5. While they may not be moving their house and only driving 2 to 3 hours to get to practice they still take the spaces of kids raised in the gym.

You aren't getting what I'm trying to say. I know that Top Gun and many other gyms use out of state athletes! What I'm saying is, their coaches put out their email even before Worlds to have people send in videos of their skills to be a part of the team! Which gives the kids that are already at Cali even less of a chance to be on Smoed! Kids that have been at Cali for years! Also, Angel Rice made Smoed before tryouts for Cali were even announced. I wonder how this makes some of the Cali kids feel...!

That isn't true. Our tryout dates had been known for several weeks before the announcement about Angel Rice.

I assure you that the coaches know exactly who are in the gym, their skill sets, and whether they would be a good fit for Smoed. Remember, our gym isn't in a big city like say Dallas. Yes, people do drive to be part of Cali Ventura but the radius is only so big with only so many kids that are level 5 and good enough to be part of this team, have the drive, the time to commit, etc. I can't say there weren't athletes disappointed they didn't make Smoed because I don't know. What I am saying, though, is everyone who wanted to try out did. I think people think we have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of athletes at our location but we don't.

I think that what Cali does is more public however not abnormal. Their are several level 5 teams I can name who have less then 50% of their team as homegrown kids. Most of the kids come to the gym to tryout for level 5. While they may not be moving their house and only driving 2 to 3 hours to get to practice they still take the spaces of kids raised in the gym.
I know, finally someone who understands what I'm saying!

That isn't true. Our tryout dates had been known for several weeks before the announcement about Angel Rice.

I assure you that the coaches know exactly who are in the gym, their skill sets, and whether they would be a good fit for Smoed. Remember, our gym isn't in a big city like say Dallas. Yes, people do drive to be part of Cali Ventura but the radius is only so big with only so many kids that are level 5 and good enough to be part of this team, have the drive, the time to commit, etc. I can't say there weren't athletes disappointed they didn't make Smoed because I don't know. What I am saying, though, is everyone who wanted to try out did. I think people think we have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of athletes at our location but we don't.
I understand what you're saying! I know that the Ventura location isn't as big as the San Marcos location. I had another question about tryouts, but I forgot now.

I understand what you're saying! I know that the Ventura location isn't as big as the San Marcos location. I had another question about tryouts, but I forgot now.

LOL. Well if you remember let me know. I may not know the answer but I'll try. :)

I'd be interested to see the numbers for out-of-town athletes on TGLC this year... Everyone and their grandma seemed to have made the team and, at least when it comes to the guys, I'd be VERY surprised if even half were actually from Top Gun. Bit of a double standard. I've always thought Top Gun was the biggest "culprit" (for lack of a better word) in regards to out-of-town athletes, but it's Top Gun, so it's not a big deal apparently.

I'd be interested to see the numbers for out-of-town athletes on TGLC this year... Everyone and their grandma seemed to have made the team and, at least when it comes to the guys, I'd be VERY surprised if even half were actually from Top Gun. Bit of a double standard. I've always thought Top Gun was the biggest "culprit" (for lack of a better word) in regards to out-of-town athletes, but it's Top Gun, so it's not a big deal apparently.

There's even a guy (very talented) has gone over from the uk, wishing him best of luck. But there's one who's even moved continents to join tg!

I never really thought about it, but there are kids who were considered to be on Smoed for this year, but didn't get that opportunity because of the out of state candidates. I'm talking about the kids that were being considered for Smoed all year long that weren't on the team, but caught the coaches' eye and was one of the members they thought would be beneficial to smoed. Those kids have at least a season (or an injury) to wait to get another chance at making the team. Those are the kids I feel bad for.

Kudos to you if you're that dedicated to move your life for cheerleading. I know I could never do it.

I never really thought about it, but there are kids who were considered to be on Smoed for this year, but didn't get that opportunity because of the out of state candidates. I'm talking about the kids that were being considered for Smoed all year long that weren't on the team, but caught the coaches' eye and was one of the members they thought would be beneficial to smoed. Those kids have at least a season (or an injury) to wait to get another chance at making the team. Those are the kids I feel bad for.

Kudos to you if you're that dedicated to move your life for cheerleading. I know I could never do it.

Do you know specifically of kids (not asking for names) who are in our gym who were going to be put on Smoed by the coaches but are not now because of someone from another location coming in?

I thought she went to Cali to attend college
She wrote on IG that she was going on a Cali team and that her fam was being moved and "it isn't always bad being a navy brat" so maybe she's going to school too but if they're being moved usually that's a primary reason in an army family is just relocation.

Back