High School Cheers During Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2013
May be an odd question, but approximately how many cheers do your teams perform each quarter? I have a problem with girls just standing around during games, so I want to give them a number to work towards.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have my captains call a sideline chant every 1 minute, based on the scoreboard's clock.

We had a new stadium build last season, so now I am able to sit on the sidelines rather than in the bleachers. At our old stadium, the girls cheered on a cement "cheer pad". Dark times. So now, on top of my captains being really great calling, I get to nag them when they're being boring.

Good luck this season!

I don't actually know how many cheers/chants our squads perform. It seems like they do one every 2-4 minutes. Every touchdown they run onto the field and perform their traditional cheer which includes them spelling out the high school letters with their poms. The crowd loves it!

My oldest CP is the Varsity captain and she is implementing a requirement that each cheerleader has to jump and/or tumble at least 5 times per game. I personally like that idea. I have watched the squad since they were Freshman and have seen the level of activity go down every year.

I have a friend whose daughter just graduated. She cheered all 4 years at the same high school. Her senior year they hired a new coach that was more interested in competition cheer then the sideline cheer. She told me that the girls hardly ever cheered at the games and that one game they didn't cheer even once. As a mom, that would seriously tick me off. I didn't spend hundreds of dollars to watch my CP stand around and look cute.

In high school my coaches always wanted us to do a cheer after every play was finished, but we usually did it after every two or three

I don't actually know how many cheers/chants our squads perform. It seems like they do one every 2-4 minutes. Every touchdown they run onto the field and perform their traditional cheer which includes them spelling out the high school letters with their poms. The crowd loves it!

My oldest CP is the Varsity captain and she is implementing a requirement that each cheerleader has to jump and/or tumble at least 5 times per game. I personally like that idea. I have watched the squad since they were Freshman and have seen the level of activity go down every year.

I have a friend whose daughter just graduated. She cheered all 4 years at the same high school. Her senior year they hired a new coach that was more interested in competition cheer then the sideline cheer. She told me that the girls hardly ever cheered at the games and that one game they didn't cheer even once. As a mom, that would seriously tick me off. I didn't spend hundreds of dollars to watch my CP stand around and look cute.
We had to do 2 jumps or standing tumbling after every cheer. We were exhausted. If someone didn't do them we all got conditioning. 5 times per game sounds much more reasonable...
I'm not sure how many cheers we do per game but we always get through all our cheers and repeat about half of them.

One per game minute sounds like a good system. We would usually call one every 2-3 minutes real time, so that's probably about the same. One/two stunts per quarter and maybe a handspring line or some running tumbling once per half.

I think we do a cheer after every other play or every three plays. It just depends when captain calls them.
As for a "rally" we are supposed to jump or tumble after every cheer but we end up just doing a kick and maybe a jump every couple cheers

The squad I coach now only does basketball so I tell them every 30 seconds or so.
When I cheered in football it was every couple of plays we would call a cheer. In between quarters we would turn to the fans and do a cheer. If we scored then we did jumps for however many points we had or kicks if the score was really high.
Now, my preference is that in between calls I hear chatter. I'm not talking about them chit chatting, but rather the "Come on (mascot)" "Let's go Blue" "Turn it around big D" etc. There shouldn't be many silent moments for cheerleaders.

Our coaches goal is for us to do 4 skills per quarter (jumps stunts or tumbling) each. We do cheers just about anytime we have a free moment. But we also have to do band dances, or we stunt when the band plays.

Fierceness is always welcome......?

Our coaches goal is for us to do 4 skills per quarter (jumps stunts or tumbling) each. We do cheers just about anytime we have a free moment. But we also have to do band dances, or we stunt when the band plays.

Fierceness is always welcome......?
That sounds like a good plan.

My HS coach did the jump-count system at games. She would tally next to our names and for however many jumps we were missing, it was a lap at the next practice. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to bring that back!

The squad I coach now only does basketball so I tell them every 30 seconds or so.
When I cheered in football it was every couple of plays we would call a cheer. In between quarters we would turn to the fans and do a cheer. If we scored then we did jumps for however many points we had or kicks if the score was really high.
Now, my preference is that in between calls I hear chatter. I'm not talking about them chit chatting, but rather the "Come on (mascot)" "Let's go Blue" "Turn it around big D" etc. There shouldn't be many silent moments for cheerleaders.
Glad we weren't the only ones who called it "chatter." If there was a silent moment at college games, we got laps or conditioned at the next practice.

My HS coach did the jump-count system at games. She would tally next to our names and for however many jumps we were missing, it was a lap at the next practice. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to bring that back!

Maybe I'm different but while I watch my girls and sit close to them to make sure they stay on track, I get so caught up in watching the game that I wouldn't be able to keep track. lol

Maybe I'm different but while I watch my girls and sit close to them to make sure they stay on track, I get so caught up in watching the game that I wouldn't be able to keep track. lol
I am not a coach, but I sit close to them in the stands. I am there to support my cps. I love football!

I think if the cheerleaders get caught up watching the game that nobody should mind for a bit. It is the sign of a great game and usually means a lot of cheering from the fans.

Back