High School Cheers During Games

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My team does 5-8 per quarter for basketball games. For time outs we do a pyramid with a cheer and for half time we usually perform a routine with a dance, lib or partner section, and pyramid to music.

May be an odd question, but approximately how many cheers do your teams perform each quarter? I have a problem with girls just standing around during games, so I want to give them a number to work towards.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
In relation to this, how do the cheerleaders stand when they are not cheering? Or rather, how are they supposed to stand?

In relation to this, how do the cheerleaders stand when they are not cheering? Or rather, how are they supposed to stand?
We stand facing the field, hands on hips, legs shoulder width apart. We used to do legs together but our new coach changed it (thank goodness bc it was uncomfortable). When a cheer is called we turn over our left shoulder and clean our arms down to our side.

That is the basic stance that I was accustomed to seeing. Hands on your hips; smile on your lips!

My cps are required to stand with both hands in the small of their backs either with or without poms. Try it--super uncomfortable in the shoulders and difficult to stand without swaying your back.

We are supposed to stand with our hands behind our backs feet apart but we might change our stance for this year. I prefer to grab my elbows behind my back(it sounds uncomfortable but I promise it isn't)

That is the basic stance that I was accustomed to seeing. Hands on your hips; smile on your lips!

My cps are required to stand with both hands in the small of their backs either with or without poms. Try it--super uncomfortable in the shoulders and difficult to stand without swaying your back.
That's what we did in jr high. My HS coach (past and present) didn't like it bc people would let their hands slide down when they had poms and their poms rested on their butt

Thanks everyone for the feedback! The previous coaching staff was focused on competition, so sideline was not a priority and every year the cheering got less and less. As a parent fan it was very disappointing! Which is why I am now Coach! The craziest thing was that the team didn't even compete, they just selected teams based on the idea they could compete at some point! I like the one per minute on the clock plan. We have made up a checklist for the captains with a minimum # of cheers, stunts, jump lines, tumble lines, crowd participation cheers, cheers with signs, opposing team, their mascot, now & hairstyle. Captains fill it out, then hand in to us to approve.

we did a cheer every 1-2 game minutes. however, if the players are about to go for a play and they want it quiet, then we try to respect that. we also have cheers for every touchdown. usually, we would call cheer during time outs, during plays, or in between plays. just not right before the play starts. we would also do a cheer with a stunt every quarter and perform at half time.

Back