All-Star Cheersafe Report

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What I read is, that yes there are injuries associated with cheer. While we'll never completely get rid of these, having competent coaching and keeping safe areas to practice and progression should help keep the numbers low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled it up... certainly not going to read through all 61 pages. It appears to be a report on fatalities in college and high school sports. Are you commenting on the lack of cheerleading in the leading summary? I didn't read past that.

I'm pretty sure our HS categorizes cheer as an "activity" and they don't have a coach, they have an "advisor." Cheerleaders do, however, have to comply with the PIAA concussion screening, so take that for what it's worth.

Just goes to show that cheer still isn't considered a sport by some!

Will someone read this study and tell me what they see when they read it?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/2011Allsport.pdf

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I feel your pain. I can't quite put my thoughts together yet. Still hung over from NCA.
ETA: I did read it and I while I cannot articulate my thoughts yet - I know my child is not apart of those numbers. :)
gu2amy3y.jpg

I pulled it up... certainly not going to read through all 61 pages. It appears to be a report on fatalities in college and high school sports. Are you commenting on the lack of cheerleading in the leading summary? I didn't read past that.

I'm pretty sure our HS categorizes cheer as an "activity" and they don't have a coach, they have an "advisor." Cheerleaders do, however, have to comply with the PIAA concussion screening, so take that for what it's worth.

Just goes to show that cheer still isn't considered a sport by some!
They have a good little section on cheer even going in to each and every injury thats happened and why

The last half is all cheer

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

OK, I scanned through more. Is it really that surprising or shocking? I don't think so. Many of the injuries are falls presumably onto a wood gymnasium floor, many involving jumping from a mini tramp.

CP has had a few minor injuries, but I'm certainly not going to pull her from this sport after reading this study. It's basically just backing up what was all over the national and local news in December.

No, only the catastrophic injury stats come from Muellers study. ER visits stats comes from the Consumer Product Safety Commission study.

No, only the catastrophic injury stats come from Muellers study. ER visits stats comes from the Consumer Product Safety Commission study.

OK. But the one I just cut and paste from the article says cheer accounts for 2/3 of all female injuries. Is that accurate?

OK. But the one I just cut and paste from the article says cheer accounts for 2/3 of all female injuries. Is that accurate?
I'd say yes, when they also state that the rate of injury is 1 per 100K for cheer, and .23 per 100K for all other female sports combined. So if you cheer, you're 4x more likely to have a catastrophic injury than if you play softball, basketball, swim, etc.

I feel your pain. I can't quite put my thoughts together yet. Still hung over from NCA.
ETA: I did read it and I while I cannot articulate my thoughts yet - I know my child is not apart of those numbers. :)
gu2amy3y.jpg

you just summed up my philosophy on doctors in one pic. hah.

Back