All-Star Coaches Dating Athletes With Parent Approval

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

WorkToWin said:
that would alarm me as a parent, reading, "athletes and coaches will not date". It would make me wonder if they have had a problem with it and it would give off the impression of pervy coaches...

I'm hoping @FamousRudags meant the employee handbook. I recently made a temporary hire of a young man I used to coach that is now 23. I've already spoken to him about not friending any of the athletes on facebook and dating is strictly forbidden.
The families in my program are extremely conservative and would not be happy if we condoned a coach-athlete romantic relationship.

so are you against a 40 year old manager dating a 40 year old employee, because she/he is in a place of authority? (in like an office setting)

Absolutely, esp after the lawsuits going on where I work because of that situation you just described. For both similar and different reasons. I look at a coach-athlete, teacher- student relationship, as one of those protect and do no harm type deals. I think dating the athlete (or student) negates that duty. Also when youre in a position of authority, you'd be amazed at what your "subordinate" will consent to because they "felt they had no other choice" (because thats what they are going to say during the trial).

Its amazing how a consenting relationship can result in a large settlement.... I'm sure nobody wants Top Cheerleading Allstars to become "Miss Suzy's House of Cheer". Instances like this can easily be avoided...why

Just don't do it. Go find another fish in the sea. There are billions of people in the world, branch out of the workplace and get one

Well none of our coaches date any athletes as far as im concerned.
But we do have an open team... Now if they wanted to date the coach which is the owners husband there may be a problem lol. Now if the open athletes wanted to date the coaches from other teams within the gym that's perfectly fine with me. It may be awkward for them if they have problems but they are grown.

I'm 23 so I'm the same age as alot of the coaches, but I'm not really into them like that. I will say me and a boy from the open team (we didn't date) but did talk for like a very short time but he was not a coach at the gym to effect my daughters placement so it wasn't a big deal. I mean I had a video of him tumbling at my house on facebook and I'm friends with like half the gyms cheerleaders and coaches on there but no one cared and if anyone knew they didn't say anything to me!

Btw, I will add in that we aren't cool anymore and even though we speak at the gym when we see each other and he is nice. It still was really awkward at first... Haha

I would not be happy about it. I know parents with very strong feelings on this.
I know different people have different opinions, but as the parent who pays and transports and makes it happen, even if it is legal, I would not like it and would possibly walk if a situation arose that was affecting my pocketbook. Love is love, but if it causes a crapfest to arise, I don't want to pay to be a part of it.

I think the issue is EVEN if the female is legal AND the parents are OK with it...

Every time a parent sees that male coach say something to a female athlete.... or pat them on the back... or give them a hug.... it does not matter how innocent that is there is going to be that parent goes 'Is he hitting on my daughter?'

We have a lot of trainee coaches at our gym, mainly on the gymnastics side who are around 17. Most of them also train with us and right from the start they were told they were not to be dating any of our gymnast or cheerleaders. They all thought we were just joking until one of them did ask one of our gymnasts out which resulted in us chewing him out about.
I don't care if you are both over the age of consent or an adult or whatever, while you are working for our gym you are representing us and as a parent I would find it odd if coaches and athletes dated no matter what the circumstances.

I've seen coaches hanging out with athletes after practice, at homes, at parties. Caused nothing but unnecessary drama. Lots of rumors came out of these - that they were dating, favoritism, reasons why athletes were placed up front, etc etc. All totally unnecessary.

I've seen coaches hanging out with athletes after practice, at homes, at parties. Caused nothing but unnecessary drama. Lots of rumors came out of these - that they were dating, favoritism, reasons why athletes were placed up front, etc etc. All totally unnecessary.

agree with this....there is enough drama w/o fraternization between parents, coaches, cheerleaders outside of gym.

99/1oo times its a no no.... i would be hy0ocritical to say never though, because i did, but here is the entire situation
I had been with a girl for about three years, cheered together at two different gyms. I aged out two years before her. Her super senior year (and super super senior year) she moved to the gym I was already coaching at to cheer closer to where her college was. I wasn't ever actually coaching her, and i did talk to the the owner and they were okay with it. And we are a very conservative gym, Sonshine Christian Academy is the facility name. had there been issues, she probably just wouldn't have cheered in college or stayed at her current gym. If it is pertinent to to this discussion, she was also an employee of the gym, 18 years old when she made the change, and I did not coach her. (and now I am happily single)

We currently have 3 employees that are still cheering at our gym (only one is a boy, but gender really doesn't matter in this case) on senior teams. Would it be the worst thing in the world for them to date another athlete? Probably not.

However, the intent of this thread is probably to focus on creepers, and i can definitely say that I will never date one of my athletes while they are cheering for me. Even if the ages were compatible (which they no longer are... .my clock keeps ticking) it just opens a floodgate, and i would prefer to not lose my career over something like that, it really is one of the stupidest moves you could ever make in this industry. we don't always get a good rep as it is. People already think its kinda weird/creepy that a grown man wants to spend time with a bunch of teenage girls as it is. Don't make it harder on yourself.

Back