High School Confessions Of A High School Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's way easier to cheer for football, anyway. You have more room to stunt, and you can just lay your mats on the track instead of putting out small mats and having to sit for most of the game.
Does anybody take mats out for football games? I think that would be so much extra work and they'd get yucky fast. But if you have old mats that would be perfect. We never ever took mats out for any football or basketball games. I've never seen a high school cheer team sit for basketball. I always thought it was just a college thing. Maybe it's common in other areas?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Does anybody take mats out for football games? I think that would be so much extra work and they'd get yucky fast. But if you have old mats that would be perfect. We never ever took mats out for any football or basketball games. I've never seen a high school cheer team sit for basketball. I always thought it was just a college thing. Maybe it's common in other areas?

We don't put out mats for either. We sit for basketball games and get up during full timeouts and do a halftime.

We are the best, of silver black and blue. Cowboys

We don't put out mats for either. We sit for basketball games and get up during full timeouts and do a halftime.

So do you guys just sit in front of the student section then? Or is it more like a college game where you sit on one of the sides of the basket?

So do you guys just sit in front of the student section then? Or is it more like a college game where you sit on one of the sides of the basket?

Were a really small school so we don't really have a student section for basketball games (we do for football since it's our second most popular sport. second to cheer:D) so we sit on the end by our home basket, by our scoreboard.

Were a really small school so we don't really have a student section for basketball games (we do for football since it's our second most popular sport. second to cheer:D) so we sit on the end by our home basket, by our scoreboard.

Yay cheerleading is the most popular :D Cool, thanks! I've only ever seen HS cheer teams who stand.

It's way easier to cheer for football, anyway. You have more room to stunt, and you can just lay your mats on the track instead of putting out small mats and having to sit for most of the game.
Track?!? Hardly any schools around here have tracks around their fields. I don't know if they have actual track teams or not.

Mats?!? We don't have no stinkin' mats! We borrowed a mat from a local university for tryouts.

Cheer teams around here never sit during football and may do a seated cheer or two during a basketball game, but that is it.

I see what some other schools have and then feel like we don't even make cuts for second rate.

We don't roll out mats for football, we just stunt on the track... I've seen pics rolled out but I always thought it was strange!
We stand for basketball but we sat for it in junior high, our gym was set up weird and instead of seats like bleachers, it was a raised basketball court with auditorium seating so there was not really another option. We have a section of mat we put out when we do inversions but other than that we don't use mats for basketball.

We have a great student section they just refuse to participate with us! And the band doesn't like us much either... So that gets tough with band dances!!

My HS team have always gotten pretty good participation from the crowd at Varsity games. They stay standing for both FB and BB.

The JV team has not, as they are cheering for the JV event and the crowd is typically smaller. They also cheer for some non-traditional events like Volleyball, where I am not sure people are used to seeing cheerleaders.

In college, we were sort of on our knees or sitting for BB like most teams. Knees make it easier for you to jump up when they score, etc.

The JV team has not, as they are cheering for the JV event and the crowd is typically smaller. They also cheer for some non-traditional events like Volleyball, where I am not sure people are used to seeing cheerleaders.

My freshman year of high school there were tons of freshman trying out so we had a freshman team for games that just cheered at the freshman sports and then combined with JV for competitions. And the worst thing ever was cheering at the freshman girl's basketball games. The only fans were parents--and not even all of them because games started so early--and maybe some random students. But we stood where the student section would typically be and the parents sat at the opposite end so for a lot of games you ended up cheering to nobody.

It got better at JV games and it for Varsity games there was always a huge crowd and the student section was great so that was nice.

At my school, basketball season was absolutely horrible! I love watching basketball and cheering on my team, but we had to get there an hour early to put together stunt sequences for quarter breaks/half time for both the girls and boys games, which would only take about 20 minutes. We cheered on the sidelines the whole time for both games and like I said, went out on the court and stunted and cheered during quarter breaks. Our dance team danced at one half time and we did the rest. We never made it out until around 11 on school nights!

My freshman year of high school there were tons of freshman trying out so we had a freshman team for games that just cheered at the freshman sports and then combined with JV for competitions. And the worst thing ever was cheering at the freshman girl's basketball games. The only fans were parents--and not even all of them because games started so early--and maybe some random students. But we stood where the student section would typically be and the parents sat at the opposite end so for a lot of games you ended up cheering to nobody.

It got better at JV games and it for Varsity games there was always a huge crowd and the student section was great so that was nice.

JV does freshman sports as well (just boys BB and FB.)

The JV team is large, so for coverage, they split into JV A & B, then the coach decides which one (A or B) is doing freshmen or JV.

It's sad but I truly believe that the goal for any JV girl is pretty much to NOT be on whatever letter is assigned to freshmen. Except they're chosen at random (like "heads = A covering freshmen + tails = JV.") I've heard it referred to as the lottery of boredom. lol.

The crowd for ALL freshman events = what you just posted.

I covered a freshman BB game coaching as a favor to my JV coach last season when she did not feel well. It was 8 AM on a SATURDAY. There MAY have been 50 people there for both teams.

JV does freshman sports as well (just boys BB and FB.)

The JV team is large, so for coverage, they split into JV A & B, then the coach decides which one (A or B) is doing freshmen or JV.

It's sad but I truly believe that the goal for any JV girl is pretty much to NOT be on whatever letter is assigned to freshmen. Except they're chosen at random (like "heads = A covering freshmen + tails = JV.") I've heard it referred to as the lottery of boredom. lol.

The crowd for ALL freshman events = what you just posted.

I covered a freshman BB game coaching as a favor to my JV coach last season when she did not feel well. It was 8 AM on a SATURDAY. There MAY have been 50 people there for both teams.
I like the idea of splitting JV! I always thought our JV should have done that since they were large but they never did. Lol "the lottery of bordedom" bad but so funny!

Track?!? Hardly any schools around here have tracks around their fields. I don't know if they have actual track teams or not.

Mats?!? We don't have no stinkin' mats! We borrowed a mat from a local university for tryouts.

Cheer teams around here never sit during football and may do a seated cheer or two during a basketball game, but that is it.

I see what some other schools have and then feel like we don't even make cuts for second rate.

Almost every school I've ever cheered at with the exception of one private school I can remember have tracks...

Back