All-Star Cover Up Rule And Awards

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i suppose hate is a strong word. The guideline annoys and frustrates me, mostly for selfish reasons.
1) I pd a lot of $$ for that uni and think its very attractive and tasteful. It bugs me that it has to be covered by a $20 poly jacket (in our case - i know some gyms have use t-shirts).
2) It's such a backwards way of thinking to me. By saying "cover up" that says to me "you're dressed inappropriately". If it's good enough for the mat - it should be good enough to be worn around the venue. If it's not ok to walk around in - then it's JUST NOT OK. That's where I'm coming from. I have no problem with youth and jr going to covered tummies - heck i don't really have a problem with all divisions doing it. BUT if the rule isn't in effect yet and it doesn't apply to senior division anyway - why do I have to cover up a $400 uni?

I like the coverup rule but I do see your point about the cost of a uniform. The outrageous prices charged for uniforms is a completely different thread.

I do disagree with your "If it's good enough for the mat - it should be good enough to be worn around the venue." statement though. There are lots of sports that have specific needs for the athlete while competing but aren't appropriate for walking around. The examples gymnastics, wrestling and swimming come to mind and I'm sure there are others too.

Being a male and hearing comments from ignorant males that aren't involved or knowledgeable about all star cheer I'm thankful for the rule but just wish they would enforce it. Now if only we could get rid of the excessive amount of make-up, crazy hair, bows and just make it about the athletic abilities of the cheerleaders it would be perfect.

I like the coverup rule but I do see your point about the cost of a uniform. The outrageous prices charged for uniforms is a completely different thread.

I do disagree with your "If it's good enough for the mat - it should be good enough to be worn around the venue." statement though. There are lots of sports that have specific needs for the athlete while competing but aren't appropriate for walking around. The examples gymnastics, wrestling and swimming come to mind and I'm sure there are others too.

Being a male and hearing comments from ignorant males that aren't involved or knowledgeable about all star cheer I'm thankful for the rule but just wish they would enforce it. Now if only we could get rid of the excessive amount of make-up, crazy hair, bows and just make it about the athletic abilities of the cheerleaders it would be perfect.

I completely respect your opinion and had not considered some other sports - such as swimming. I mentioned in a previous post how I am not necessarily advocating running around in this uni anywhere at anytime. I do, however, dislike being told to cover up. In the 7 yrs we have been cheering and the 16 total yrs I have been blessed with this child - i've managed to teach her to not run around half naked.
:jawdrop:

Now if only we could get rid of the excessive amount of make-up, crazy hair, bows and just make it about the athletic abilities of the cheerleaders it would be perfect.

lol! spoken like a man. That is part of the sport. Just like Dance or whatever. You will never win that fight. haha!

lol! spoken like a man. That is part of the sport. Just like Dance or whatever. You will never win that fight. haha!

Haha, I've never understood the reason for that stuff but I know a lot of the cheerleaders say they will quit of they aren't allowed to wear bows and make up.

I don't think you're "supposed" to be in anything at awards. Do whatever your gym owner tells you to do it - some teams do warmups, some do a t-shirt over their uni, some do just uniforms. Just don't look a hot mess.
Yeah I mean that'd what my gym does, and hats what everyone else does I don't know if it was our owners decision or the competition but yeah I agree everyone in the gym should do the same thing

My gym has been enforcing the guideline but I haven't seen any competitions enforce it. At most competitions we have been to it seems most gyms are not enforcing it. My understanding is that at awards they should be in uniforms not warmups. As a matter of fact the last comp we went to actually stated on their page that they wanted athletes to come to awards in uniform and not warmups due to pictures and such.

I was surprised to see that not too many gyms not enforcing the new rule, a lot of the kids at my gym have been wearing warm ups to awards just because which looks really nice and uniformed!

our entire gym has a matching cover up shirt, i think i mentioned before that team moms collect them before warm ups and hand them back out when they come off stage. they also went the extra step and had the girls names placed on the back of the shirt to make it easier for team moms to hand out. it looks super cute when they are all walking together. and as i realized this weekend, helps me find my kid from the back when they are all together and look the same with curled hair and big bows.
I like the name on the back. Our gym wears tshirt s that are all the same and it has been quite the hassle getting everyone their shirt back after warm ups. I have my kids' names on the inside label, and they still struggle getting their right shirts back.

I'm open to any suggestions on how to mark their shirts, without it showing or getting stuck on unis or in curls!

Back