All-Star Cover Up Rule.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hey @Just-a-Mom what are you saying we beating a dead horse:deadhorse: on this matter... I definitely agree! hahahaha

@Fierce_Elite, I think it is now safe to come up from cover, but again, think before posting things -- Like I said before, take a moment, write and then leave it for 10 minutes and read it again. I learned to do that myself on opinion post, but if you are using your life circumstances then write and leave it and then proofread, and then post...

I have to tell you, I been here for 9 months now and I actually lurked for over a year before I started posting and I made a mistake after 6 months starting a thread that did not go off well, so sit back and just post on others threads for awhile, Okay! That is my last advice given from 1 Newbie to another Newbie...Good Luck, Again!:banghead:

On a positive note, because we are such thoughtful people who are smart and care about others-
Let's make sure we reiterate our thoughts to our elected officials! While it was a stupid, naive, idiotic and hurtful thing to post, she might very well have meant it (or one of the two might have meant it, even if "she" didn't- is she even a she?). It's still a common problem in American/World culture to blame the victims of these types of assaults- let's do our best every day to show the world that victims are not the problem- assailants are!

On a note: that 'survey' on uniform/appropriateness that went around? I took it too, and I'm a fan- they had it online. It wasn't until after I'd finished it that I felt a weird sense of setup. Lo and behold, those "rules" and "guidelines" (again- what are we, Pirates?) were out and everyone had a field day. This is where the USASF had their PR gaff with the 'over theatricality for dudes' bit. I get wanting us to be more cohesive and uniform, I get that a lot of uniforms cross the line. I think there are better ways of doing it than they do. Mustafina rocked some serious eye makeup at the Olympics..

If there is a pervert around he is still going to see them on stage with their uni on anyways....
That's why the rule doesn't really make sense to me. The people seeing you on stage are the same people seeing you in around the venue and in the warm-up area. If anything, we should be cracking down on kids that walk around a competition with their skirts unzipped, no uniform top on (just a sports bra), and/or wear inappropriate shoes with their uniform (i.e. Uggs and flip-flops).

Priorities.

telling really young underage girls to cover up is rather creepy. they're basically sexualizing their bodies. since when is an 11-year-old girl's stomach, legs or back sexual. people keep worrying about perverts, but what about those helping to create the perversion... what about those that want to hypersexualize young people by telling them to cover themselves, because their body is a sexual object?

maybe it's because i started drawing live nude models by the time i was 16-17, but i've never understood people's obsession with hypersexualizing the human body. it's rather strange to me. the human body, to me, isn't sexual until it's presented a certain way. case in point: two women. one is posing for a camera nude, sitting on a lawn chair, wearing a sombrero and reading a Time magazine. the other is posing for a camera with most of her body covered, wearing a tight red skirt, wearing 6 inch stilettos, bent over provocatively over a bed, wearing deep red lipstick and biting her bottom lip.

people should probably focus on and restrict the pop star video, questionable dance moves, creepy flyer movements, strange facials and heavy makeup. people keep talking about wanting to make the sport more professional and to be taken more seriously. well, as somewhat of an outsider fan, as long as you have the recently aforementioned behaviors, it won't be taken as seriously as you'd like it to be taken. it's not the exposure of the body that makes it to not be taken seriously. if that was the case, then beach volleyball wouldn't be well respected sport. so much so that it's now an Olympic event.

why stop at covering stomachs? what about legs? hands? last time i checked, there is a fetish for just about every single body part. let's start covering faces!! that's the first point of attraction, for most people at least, so cover it up.

as far as what op said about people asking to be sexually assaulted, instead of chastising her, educate her on the topic, even though i believe it to be a troll account. a lot of people still don't seem to understand that sexual assault is about power. that's why serial rapists have victims aged 5-95. the majority of child molesters were actually molested themselves. its about power and taking control. simply calling some stupid for being uninformed isn't helping the issue.

Last edited:
telling really young underage girls to cover up is rather creepy. they're basically sexualizing their bodies. since when is an 11-year-old girl's stomach, legs or back sexual. people keep worrying about perverts, but what about those helping to create the perversion... what about those that want to hypersexualize young people by telling them to cover themselves, because their body is a sexual object?

maybe it's because i started drawing live nude models by the time i was 16-17, but i've never understood people's obsession with hypersexualizing the human body. it's rather strange to me. the human body, to me, isn't sexual until it's presented a certain way. case in point: two women. one is posing for a camera nude, sitting on a lawn chair, wearing a sombrero and reading a Time magazine. the other is posing for a camera with most of her body covered, wearing a tight red skirt, wearing 6 inch stilettos, bent over provocatively over a bed, wearing deep red lipstick and biting her bottom lip.

people should probably focus on and restrict the pop star video, questionable dance moves, creepy flyer movements, strange facials and heavy makeup. people keep talking about wanting to make the sport more professional and to be taken more seriously. well, as somewhat of an outsider fan, as long as you have the recently aforementioned behaviors, it won't be taken as seriously as you'd like it to be taken. it's not the exposure of the body that makes it to not be taken seriously. if that was the case, then beach volleyball wouldn't be well respected sport. so much so that it's now an Olympic event.

why stop at covering stomachs? what about legs? hands? last time i checked, there is a fetish for just about every single body part. let's start covering faces!! that's the first point of attraction, for most people at least, so cover it up.

My 13 year old daughter will be covered up at comps in at least her gym jacket because I said so! That's it. Period. It's called modesty.

With your reasoning, we should just all walk around naked. Because - naked!

Our gym dictates you cover up and while a lot of the girls ignore it, my little part of the world won't.

That's why I'm such a supporter of full tops, because so many people (especially those outside of our sport) view skin as sexual. If we were a country like Brazil, were skin is just seen as, well, skin, I wouldn't mind seeing crop tops. It's all about outside perception. (Plus, full tops look smoother and cleaner to me.)

However, I don't agree with nudism; there is a time and a place for everything.

I recalled reading a post in here that someone mentioned and cautioned us that the possibilities gyms are going to stop going to events if this cover up rule is really enforced, but what I am experiencing, it look like it is the small gyms (remember my experience) that is not following the cover-up rule now. It appears that the athletes from the big gyms are told to cover up or else already by the Coaches. If someone who is reading from a big gym disagree with this assessment, please correct me, NICELY! (I am too sensitive)

I think, being from a big gym is a double edge sword on this matter. The judges recognizes those athletes from these gyms and I have been told that already at some events, some judges have factor these things already when they scored teams... So the cover up rule is REAL for some us, but it is not stopping the big gyms from going to competitions, we are just following the cover up rules already.

Coming from a soccer background, our jerseys were full length but we still wore team jackets over them in public and in warm ups. 1. Because we didn't want to get them dirty before the game(we ate... all the time) 2. It was fun for us to unzip our jackets right before the game started and psych out our opponent. I really feel like its a choice of the gym but they should use discretion based on their athletes and how the athletes would feel in both options, cover ups or not.

I'd be interested to hear some reasons/perspectives as to why crop top uniforms are 100% necessary. I can't recall a time when I've practiced in a full top and thought "wow, my stomach is REALLY sweaty, can't wait to remove 6 inches of fabric from that area!" From a competitor's point of view, I've always contemplated the practicality of the exposed stomach while suffocating in a turtleneck with long sleeves.

When speaking solely in terms of comfort, a full top wouldn't bother me if uni tops were sleeveless and necklines weren't up to my ears. I've always thought the HS "friday night football" uniform look was appropriate and comfortable. I've never heard anyone call these uniforms "sexy" and they are much more appealing to my swimming pool armpits.

Advocates for the crop top: I'd love to hear your perspectives on this!

I'd be interested to hear some reasons/perspectives as to why crop top uniforms are 100% necessary. I can't recall a time when I've practiced in a full top and thought "wow, my stomach is REALLY sweaty, can't wait to remove 6 inches of fabric from that area!" From a competitor's point of view, I've always contemplated the practicality of the exposed stomach while suffocating in a turtleneck with long sleeves.

When speaking solely in terms of comfort, a full top wouldn't bother me if uni tops were sleeveless and necklines weren't up to my ears. I've always thought the HS "friday night football" uniform look was appropriate and comfortable. I've never heard anyone call these uniforms "sexy" and they are much more appealing to my swimming pool armpits.

Advocates for the crop top: I'd love to hear your perspectives on this!
A lot of people actually think that HS cheer uniform skirts are short for sexual reasons. I kid you not.

Back