All-Star Cover Up Rule.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'd be interested to hear some reasons/perspectives as to why crop top uniforms are 100% necessary. I can't recall a time when I've practiced in a full top and thought "wow, my stomach is REALLY sweaty, can't wait to remove 6 inches of fabric from that area!" From a competitor's point of view, I've always contemplated the practicality of the exposed stomach while suffocating in a turtleneck with long sleeves.

When speaking solely in terms of comfort, a full top wouldn't bother me if uni tops were sleeveless and necklines weren't up to my ears. I've always thought the HS "friday night football" uniform look was appropriate and comfortable. I've never heard anyone call these uniforms "sexy" and they are much more appealing to my swimming pool armpits.

Advocates for the crop top: I'd love to hear your perspectives on this!
I've mainly liked crop tops because (usually) they don't ride up. Every full top uniform I've had, specifically in college, always rode up and it drove me nuts. I also think it can be distracting in a routine, when half of the uniform tops have ridden up and the team doesn't look uniform (or girls are tugging at their tops). I know the "biketard" is the new trend, but I can't see that being very comfortable either ... I wouldn't like an entire one piece style. I had one when I cheered rec way back in the day and even then I never buttoned the bottoms and just wore spanks overtop.

I've mainly liked crop tops because (usually) they don't ride up. Every full top uniform I've had, specifically in college, always rode up and it drove me nuts. I also think it can be distracting in a routine, when half of the uniform tops have ridden up and the team doesn't look uniform (or girls are tugging at their tops). I know the "biketard" is the new trend, but I can't see that being very comfortable either ... I wouldn't like an entire one piece style. I had one when I cheered rec way back in the day and even then I never buttoned the bottoms and just wore spanks overtop.

Oh my gosh the biketard. Those are my short-torso nightmare!

I'd be interested to hear some reasons/perspectives as to why crop top uniforms are 100% necessary. I can't recall a time when I've practiced in a full top and thought "wow, my stomach is REALLY sweaty, can't wait to remove 6 inches of fabric from that area!" From a competitor's point of view, I've always contemplated the practicality of the exposed stomach while suffocating in a turtleneck with long sleeves.

When speaking solely in terms of comfort, a full top wouldn't bother me if uni tops were sleeveless and necklines weren't up to my ears. I've always thought the HS "friday night football" uniform look was appropriate and comfortable. I've never heard anyone call these uniforms "sexy" and they are much more appealing to my swimming pool armpits.

I've always competed in full tops, so I'm not saying crops are 100% necessary by any means, but most of the guys on our team will roll up the back of the flyer's uniform top before tosses because they're quite slippery. I don't know if maybe making/encouraging the team to practice in tops that are a similar material to the uniform would help them adjust or if it would just make the stunting harder. (Sidenote: I've always thought teams should practice semi-regularly in something similar to their uniform, because the first time I pulled any stretches with big hair and a bow and in a skirt was on the warm up mat before our first comp... it felt a bit different to say the least!)

Last season was my first season and I competed in a full top and a crop bearing in mind I am quite large for a cheerleader and quite body consious I personally never thought I would say it but I prefered my crop top as it was really flattering and it had no crazy cut outs. I didnt have to worry about it riding up and my skirt fitted well and didnt ride up.

My full top though rode up looked horrible on me and just didnt fit and wasnt really flattering on anyone.

I also like crops as I find it easier to grab the waist when there isnt miles of slippery fabric that you grab instead also if something goes wrong and there is lots of lights it sounds weird I find it easier to find the waist so I can catch safely and get the stunt back in the air

I think the biggest issue with full tops is that they rude up/ roll up on anyone that has extra in the stomach area, or kids like my CP who have larger hips and a top that fits everywhere else it tight over the hips and rides up at the first opportunity. Leo's help, if they are properly fitted. If not they are definitely uncomfortable.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Just adding in a little bit: Leo's under crops are not comfortable for me. At all. None of the girls on my team liked it either. Depending on your torso it was too baggy, way too tight, etc. Not to mention the neckline that doesn't match at the top, makes weird lines under the uniform and serious underwear lines. Just thought i'd throw that out there for the whole leotard bike tard thing.

I've never figured out how colleges manage to partner stunt with high waisted skirts without the fabric slipping. Maybe I'm doing this coed flying thing wrong.

After seeing the new full top uniform my daughter's team is getting this year, I am really anxious to see it on her. I actually think the full top uniform will give my daughter a more athletic look than the crop top with skirt, which I always thought in my opinion does not flatter her body type--Tbh, she actually looks like an ostrich--the short torso with extremely long legs in that uniform...

PS: My husband wanted my daughter to quit before her 1st year AS cheer because he thought the uniform was too risque for an 8 year old. I still remember him barking that his "Baby Girl, will not be caught outside or on anybody stage with that outfit on" but I wondered to myself, why he was so upset about my daughter competing in a crop top uniform, but he did not have a problem when she competed in leotards for gymnastics-- I realized that for some men, revealing the stomach area does not equate a sport and only until I showed him the jacket and yoga pants they were wearing over the uniform before and after they perform, he calmed down... btw, in gymnastics they wear the leotards, but their stomachs are not shown and there are warm warm up suits to go with their uniforms.

So my husband loves the Cover-Up Rule.

Last edited:
A lot of people actually think that HS cheer uniform skirts are short for sexual reasons. I kid you not.
At the college level too, there's some creepy people. My team wears white Adidas mid calves and after a game an old man came up to us and said, "can you lose the socks? They're not sexy" I was so creeped out. Like uh that's not our purpose

At the college level too, there's some creepy people. My team wears white Adidas mid calves and after a game an old man came up to us and said, "can you lose the socks? They're not sexy" I was so creeped out. Like uh that's not our purpose
The weird thing is that they accuse us of trying to be sexy, when they are the ones trying to sexualize us.

CP just got in her "collegiate" style plain jane body liner type top to wear with her poly skirt for middle school cheer. Think throwing it was back to 1970s track suit style, thick Adidas style stripes down the sleeves. I thought CP was going to look frumpy and make her look even shorter than she is, mock turtle neck, whole uniform one color, cobalt blue, but those thick Adidas stripes down sleeves and mock turtle neck in FL, who ordered these things?!?! But it doesn't look bad, especially from a distance. She is not happy in it, hot, pulling at the neck. She thinks her AS uniform is super comfortable and likes the way it makes her look and feel which affects her performance for sure. I will have to reassure her a thousand times Tuesday morning when they are wearing them to school that her school uniform looks great on her. I bet the cheerleaders collectively get dress coded because of length of skirt. It's long, but not dress code long. Her public school has some serious dress code police. Think I will send her jeans, too. Her warmup pants alone would be dress coded after I am making her get a third season out of them this year. :oops:

After observing this middle school cheer thing, I doubt if anyone has asked the principal's permission for them to wear their uniforms and since she personally is one of the dress code police, I better just go sit in my car Tuesday morning and wait for the phone call. ;)

After an October football game I had a fan tell me to "wear less clothes next time" We were wearing skirts and warm up jackets...

Back