All-Star Cover Up Rule.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The studio dance comps like what you seen on Dance Moms are what I'm talking about (not actual Dance Mom filming comps cause those are fake and staged only for the show - I hear those are making people pay to get in). I've never had to pay to get in to a studio dance competition.

They are always free - the competition fees are outrageous, so the least they can do is let people watch them for free ;).
I thought you meant you like actually putting your child as an entree number. :) I was bout to say, not free at all. Those are the most expensive things I've seen.

If there is a sex offender in the area, the way you or a child dresses has no bearing on whether they will be targeted. Child molestation is an illness, and any kid may be targeted, whether a child is wearing a winter coat or a bikini. Safety is not the real concern, especially at a comp full of parents and coaches. The image of the USASF is more likely the primary reason behind a cover-up rule and the uniform rule change.

As far as inappropriate uniforms, just look in the 2014/2015 uniforms thread.. there are some winners.

What I meant by "asking for it" is that if you're aren't enforcing being covered up and you know they're perverts around, then there is an issue. I didn't literally mean asking for it as if a child was asking for someone to molest or rape her/him. I would never say that. I just think coaches should take more action on making the image of the child "of any age" who is cheering that day, looks appropriate. I don't know why, but it does bother me when I see teams that have not competed or not in the warm up room and vise versa, just wearing their uniform.

Because perverts wear signs so we know they are around right?
Can you please think about what you are trying to say before you post

I really don't get the need for the cover up rule and it doesn't bother me at all if cheerleaders walk around in their uniforms at comps - I've seen so much worse at dance competitions, and even then it doesn't bother me. Cheer comps require people to pay for admission, so that alone will keep a lot of the pervert element out more than other types of competitions (at a dance comp, anyone can walk in for free).

I've never really seen an all star cheer uniform that looks "inappropriate" (some NFL/NBA uniforms cross a line, yes, but not all star and HS, unless I'm in the dark or missed something). I also don't really get why a stomach showing is the standard that we regulate on - to me it should be more about skirt or short length and/or low cut tops (like the rules should be that their butt cheeks shouldn't be hanging out and there shouldn't be cleavage). I guess if the waist was mega low cut to the point where their hip bones would be exposed, then that would be a stomach issue, but I haven't really seen AS uniforms like that - most just go a little below the belly button.

I personally think cropped cheer tops are cute and can totally look very conservative if the rest of the inform is styled tastefully, and I'm actually bummed about this full top rule cause my CP would look much cuter in a crop top ;).
Thinking that an admission charge is going to deter a pervert is a little naive. Sadly there are many who are only too willing to pay $20 especially knowing what they are getting in to see. I'd rather see parents keep a better eye on their younger kids at comps and not let them run around without adult supervision than assume a cover fee (or a coverup tshirt) will keep away the pervs.
I am btw a fan of tasteful crop tops as well and am very happy cp is aging out of juniors after this season.

I thought you meant you like actually putting your child as an entree number. :) I was bout to say, not free at all. Those are the most expensive things I've seen.

No - I mean spectator admission - like you need to pay $10, etc. to get in and watch the show. Cheer comps charge parents, siblings, grandparents, friends some type of per person fee where they have to go up and pay someone sitting at a desk or door to get in - gymnastics meets do this too. A pervert is scared off by this process as it creates attention to their presence, a witness, etc. and if the admission is expensive to the point that cash versus a credit card draws attention, they will be even more weary.

Now at dance comps, there is no admission fee or desk/staff. Some people in the dance world argue that there should be for the above reason.

Thinking that an admission charge is going to deter a pervert is a little naive. Sadly there are many who are only too willing to pay $20 especially knowing what they are getting in to see. I'd rather see parents keep a better eye on their younger kids at comps and not let them run around without adult supervision than assume a cover fee (or a coverup tshirt) will keep away the pervs.
I am btw a fan of tasteful crop tops as well and am very happy cp is aging out of juniors after this season.

CP got in the car after practice this week and said I want to be on a senior team next year!! I said, Why? I want you to be on juniors as long as possible. Then I said, Oh, it's the full top, huh? Gotcha. Pretty sure you better warm up to the idea. ;)

And, seriously, no. I just spent three hours rolling hair on pink sponge rollers the night before and it takes us over an hour in the morning to get the makeup and hair done, uniform on, half a bottle of hairspray and then you want me to try to stretch a Tshirt over that? We are in FL, there is a lot of uncovered folks. Doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone is walking around the venue in their uniform. Have you seen the girls' hair? There is a lot of us mommas that have spent a ton of time on that hair to not get signaled out for hair problems and there has been a few curse words by mom, a few ouuccchhhh and some general frustration with hairspray and curls. CP is tenderheaded, too. Dragging a Tshirt over the finished look and then back off to compete, hope I don't pull her hair in the process of trying to stretch that Tshirt to death, big hole in the pouf, hair now sticking out? Nope, babe, it looks great, that didn't frizz your hair out. Her attitude just took a dive and she's feeling my frustration. We still had glitter eye shadow, too, last year, that knocks glitter off. I've got glitter in my eye!!!! No thank you.

I get your point but why not wear a zip-up jacket? That's what we do.

So I'm just looking around the USASF website and looking at some rules and such. I noticed that there is a cover up rule that isn't being followed very well. The one all star cheer comp that I did attend, there were many young ladies walking around the facility, who I know for a fact, already performed and they still had on their uniforms w/o any type of cover up like it was nothing.

I'm really a big advocate for safety all around. Especially when it comes to comps like this. I feel like this is the main reason why the uniform rule change has taken into place this season, because a lot of gyms, didn't enforce the cover up rule all together.

I feel like walking around an arena with just a half naked uniform on before you compete and after you compete, is just asking child molestation and rape. Now, I know this is not as likely to happen at a comp where they're thousands of spectators and security, but you never know. You can never be too sure about safety. Basically, my question is,

Do you agree or disagree that this is why they changed the uniform rule? because many gyms didn't follow the cover up rule? So they had to take something into action to make sure that at least one rule was being enforced?
Suggesting that ANYONE is ever asking for molestation and rape based on what they are wearing is only supporting and adding to rape culture. USASF should probably be more worried about preventing convicted child molesters and rapists from even entering a competition venue.

I feel like walking around an arena with just a half naked uniform on before you compete and after you compete, is just asking child molestation and rape. Now, I know this is not as likely to happen at a comp where they're thousands of spectators and security, but you never know. You can never be too sure about safety. Basically, my question is,
okay we get it :) I never said anything after your first comment other then I didn't literally mean "asking for it" chill!!!!
But that is exactly what you posted - it is right there is black and white, so don't tell anyone to "chill" for calling you out on it. It was a disgusting thing to say.

But that is exactly what you posted - it is right there is black and white, so don't tell anyone to "chill" for calling you out on it. It was a disgusting thing to say.
okay, I am sorry :) I should have worded it differently from the get go but I didn't know ya'll were going to take it the way it was taken.

I think she thinks I'm idiotic enough to think that she meant "literally" asking for it. Obviously, people aren't approaching rapists and vocalizing that they deserve rape. But, you know what they say about arguing with a fool...;)

I have worked with children of abuse, including victims of sexual abuse. It is sad because comments like this are extremely hurtful and detrimental. They already struggle with issues such as blaming themselves. :(

Changes were made to improve the image of cheer, to show professionalism, that cheer is a true sport, to attract new people to cheer who might have not considered it before, etc.

I have worked with children of abuse, including victims of sexual abuse. It is sad because comments like this are extremely hurtful and detrimental. They already struggle with issues such as blaming themselves. :(

Changes were made to improve the image of cheer, to show professionalism, that cheer is a true sport, to attract new people to cheer who might have not considered it before, etc.

...To model what similar sports already do. Gymnasts wear warm ups over their leo's when they aren't on an apparatus.

It's got nothing to do with rapists and pedophiles in the first place.

Back