All-Star Crimson Heat Athletes Penalized For Attending Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One headmaster at one school told 2 families that if their 2 students missed classes for Worlds they would not be excused.
The girls from the 11 other schools were all approved.

Rightfully so, the trip to Worlds would not be an extra curricular through the school so it should be unexcused. The parents can still pull their kids out and take them to Florida.

The outrage at this is laughable

I'm a little confused at the tie in of the fine and yanking prom, unless that would be punishment for going over their allotted absences? I missed days occasionally for cheerleading and they were never excused. Only medical issues were excused. I don't see an issue with that. If we missed too many days, we probably wouldn't have been allowed perks, like prom. Sound about in line with anything I've ever experienced.

I don't understand how it is possible to financially fine a student for missing class. And not allowing students to attend prom as a punishment seems petty. But schools and teachers can absolutely be petty. I had to drop a class in grad school because the professor scheduled a mandatory exam during my honeymoon. It wasn't even a final and he had the ability to reschedule it for me but made me reschedule my entire semester instead.

Given the choice, I'd take the 7 day trip to FL for World's over prom. My prom was fun and all, but not the highlight of my high school career. A weeklong trip out of the country with team mates will provide far more memories.

I don't understand how it is possible to financially fine a student for missing class. And not allowing students to attend prom as a punishment seems petty. But schools and teachers can absolutely be petty. I had to drop a class in grad school because the professor scheduled a mandatory exam during my honeymoon. It wasn't even a final and he had the ability to reschedule it for me but made me reschedule my entire semester instead.

Given the choice, I'd take the 7 day trip to FL for World's over prom. My prom was fun and all, but not the highlight of my high school career. A weeklong trip out of the country with team mates will provide far more memories.
I'm guessing this is a private school and they can probably do what they want (at least that's how it works in the US). That probably explains the fine.

I'm guessing this is a private school and they can probably do what they want (at least that's how it works in the US). That probably explains the fine.

OK, yes. On further thought, if it is the equivilant of a private school in the US, then the family signed a contract with the school. If it was spelled out clearly in the contract that students would be fined financially for xyz offense and these students are committing xyz offense by taking the week to attend World's, then I don't see what the big deal is. The school is within their rights.

This is a state school in the UK. In the uk most schools don't have a number of unexcused absences. In this case the rule for going to prom is that they must have 100% attendance unless the absence is excused. The school is only allowing one trip to worlds in a school career. The pupils affected have already been once so the school will punish them.

There is a system in place in the uk to fine familes for unexcused absences to stop the habit of parents taking children out of school for a holiday which used to be the case.
The coach is well known in the UK and wrote letters to the schools in JULY about worlds all but this one school is cooperating. The coach has even put a study and training plan in place when they are at worlds so they do 3 hours of study on days they are not competing.
I get GCSE's are important but the athletes and the coach came up with a reasonable solution which the school will not accept

This is a state school in the UK. In the uk most schools don't have a number of unexcused absences. In this case the rule for going to prom is that they must have 100% attendance unless the absence is excused. The school is only allowing one trip to worlds in a school career. The pupils affected have already been once so the school will punish them.

There is a system in place in the uk to fine familes for unexcused absences to stop the habit of parents taking children out of school for a holiday which used to be the case.
The coach is well known in the UK and wrote letters to the schools in JULY about worlds all but this one school is cooperating. The coach has even put a study and training plan in place when they are at worlds so they do 3 hours of study on days they are not competing.
I get GCSE's are important but the athletes and the coach came up with a reasonable solution which the school will not accept
Very different from the US. Thanks for clarifying.

So devils advocate here, what would happen if the kid went and then turned in a note from a doctor upon return?

Back