All-Star Crossover Between Gyms And Get A Paid Bid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2012
Recently at a Worlds bid competition it was discovered that an athlete was crossing over and competing on two different teams from two different gyms. One a Sr. 5 restricted, the other a SSC. This was 100% verified and brought to the attention of the EP on day 2 after the discovery.

The Sr. 5 Restricted team was disqualified but the SSC not only was not disqualified or received any type of 'punishment' (deduction or legality), they went on to receive a Paid bid to Worlds. Our understanding of the USASF rule regarding crossovers is that this is completely illegal and can in no way can the EP lessen the rule. (See Crossover section in the USASF age rules grid).

My question is why isn't this enforced and BOTH teams disqualified or is our understanding (along with every other gym we've asked) incorrect.

My feeling is that this is the type of thing that lessens the integrity of the sport. Thoughts?

Based on how I understand the rules both teams/gyms should have been disqualified. However, I have learned over the years that EP's don't follow their own rules let alone those of the USASF, and the USASF doesn't follow up on many rules that are broken. It is a huge issue with this sport, but unfortunately one that probably won't change any time soon.

Was the athlete in question filling in on one of the teams? I've heard of that happening in states where there are just a few allstar gyms and not enough high level athletes to pull in at the last minute... I actually just saw this recently where a girl on a small senior 5 filled in at another gym on a R5 for NCA, but her original team didn't go to that particular competition.
If he/she was competing for the full season on both teams (not just as an emergency fill in), then that's completely ridiculous and wrong. If they were a fill in, I can see how people not affiliated with either team could make assumptions/be confused, but it could very likely be due to a situation like the one described above. That type of situation could be seen more as one gym helping another gym in need, which is good sportsmanship.

No she was a member of both teams. Her social media has pictures of her in both of her uniforms. Even if she was filling in it shouldn't be allowed. No more than a 10 year old 'filling in' on a SS (example) team would be allowed. There are more than enough gyms in this area. If the EP and USASF doesn't enforce the rules why bother having them? It just seems nobody wants to 'rock the boat' therefore the proverbial rug is full of dirty sweepings. That was riddled with cliches. Sorry!

i believe that in order to compete with another level 5 from different gym the two gyms can't be competing at the same competition and the athlete must be released from the main gym and then put back on the roster after the comp. it surprises me this rule was only followed by disqualifying one team but not doing anything to the other.

She definitely competed both days on both teams. And it was noticed and brought to the attention of the EP BEFORE the second team (the one that ultimately received the bid) performed on day 2. As much as it helps being validated with our understanding of the rule it is very frustrating that nothing was done then. Or now. It's no fun to disqualify someone, take away a placement or a bid but rules are rules and must be adhered to. I agree DQ'ing one and not the other makes it even worse.

So you can't compete on two different teams from different programs at the same comp but you can compete on two of the same gyms teams? Team A had a paid bid and then took some of those athletes and placed them on team B at another location to secure a paid bid. So now both team A and B have a paid bid and the crossovers are all back on their original teams. I don't really see a difference.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

So you can't compete on two different teams from different programs at the same comp but you can compete on two of the same gyms teams? Team A had a paid bid and then took some of those athletes and placed them on team B at another location to secure a paid bid. So now both team A and B have a paid bid and the crossovers are all back on their original teams. I don't really see a difference.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
There really isn't much of a difference except one is legal and one isn't. What Team A and Team B is legal, assuming the two locations have the same USASF #....but I highly doubt USASF would even check that and if they did and it was found they are really 2 separate entities, my guess is nothing would be done.

She definitely competed both days on both teams. And it was noticed and brought to the attention of the EP BEFORE the second team (the one that ultimately received the bid) performed on day 2. As much as it helps being validated with our understanding of the rule it is very frustrating that nothing was done then. Or now. It's no fun to disqualify someone, take away a placement or a bid but rules are rules and must be adhered to. I agree DQ'ing one and not the other makes it even worse.

If your gym owner has an issue with it, they need to communicate with the USASF Sanctioning committee. All the other discussion in this thread is just speculating and creating rumors. Not that it's not a worthwhile discusison, but please keep all these opinions in perspective.

Back