All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It would certainly be easier than doing this whole judges training thing. :)

This is on the list of items to address for NCA All-Star Nationals. Via email, our Facebook Coaches Group, Pre-Event Webinar and Coaches Meeting, we will dedicate time to 'Athlete Ettiquette' and what's expected both in the Practice Room and in the hallways.

At the end of the day though, it will still be the job of each gym owner to make sure their athletes behave appropriately on-site.

NCA doesn't provide bodyguards? What kinda cheer competition is this?!?!!

So through reading this whole thread it seems that coaches/parents have done their parts to assist in controlling this BUT in the end an EP stepped up and seems to be able to control this best. I hope that BlueCat and StarshipTrooper are able to share their experiences with EP's (behind closed doors) and give their opinions on what could help best. I'm glad to hear ACA was proactive and helped the situation.

If someone would pay for my plane ticket and accommodations, I will dress up like my Av, carry a bow and arrow like Katniss and protect whomever requests it..

Girl I love you so much. I could totally see you doing this and being completely zoolander about it too. Give em the magnum and watch the bodies hit the floor.

Yes, Cheetahs had a bodyguard - a very muscular, intimidating-looking friend of some of the Wildcats. (He actually seemed very friendly, however.) It turned out that he either worked so well that hardly anyone was brave enough to approach the athletes, or maybe it had been unnecessary because of the steps ACA had taken. Either way, we had no real issues Monday. There were a few requests for pictures here and there, but nothing that interfered in any way with the team's preparations.

The "meet & greet" at The Majors had been pretty crazy as well, but that was after we had competed, so it was something the athletes were happy to do. The athletes were a bit taken aback by the response they (and the other Majors teams) got, but that was the whole purpose they were there. It didn't interfere with any competition preparation. The JAMfest folks weren't expecting that many people to show up either, but they quickly got things under control.

Meet & Greet panorama (actually taken before it peaked, but you get the idea)

So through reading this whole thread it seems that coaches/parents have done their parts to assist in controlling this BUT in the end an EP stepped up and seems to be able to control this best. I hope that BlueCat and StarshipTrooper are able to share their experiences with EP's (behind closed doors) and give their opinions on what could help best. I'm glad to hear ACA was proactive and helped the situation.

I was her bodyguard the last 2 years. Let me say it got crazy the last 2 years and someone talked about Myrtle Beach, I had to pull her off a wall in the arena she was getting crushed. It was the worst. But to be fair to the EPs, it is not their fault or responsibility. That said, be polite but do not stop if possible. If you do stop, have your back to an exit. Never get against a wall. Have someone with you at all times. Do not stop or respond anywhere where other people are trying to get something done or around vendors. DO NOT MAKE DEALS with vendors to sign or promote. Never works out well, we made that mistake twice last year. And when you graduate and go to college, make good grades!

I think it is all about time and place. The very few times I approached athletes to talk were when they were obviously not with their team for example: at a nearby mall post-competition, sitting around inside the Milkhouse just inside an entrance to the competition area, etc. Rule of thumb: if they are out of uniform or have definitely competed before, it's a fine time to approach someone. If not, wait until later.

Fans: Think about how you feel when you were trying to get into your 'zone' before warmups. Think about how mad your coach would get for being distracted. Think about how nervous or anxious you are right before you go on the mat. You wouldn't want to be disrupted so why do that to someone else?

Parents: Don't encourage your kids to go chasing after these athletes. What if it was your child? In the end, parents are paying for competition fees so they want to win and get their money's worth. If an athlete is being distracted by 'fans', it could seriously impact their ability to perform with all the pressure. Do you really want to say you paid for your kid to go to a competition, get chased down and distracted, not hit their routine, and cost a bid to worlds? No. Don't do it to someone else's kid.

Coaches of these athletes: Sit down and have a procedure for your elite teams. For example they can just say "I'm really sorry but my gym has a new rule and I will get in trouble for taking pictures in uniform, maybe later. I'm so so sorry" I know that won't please everyone and it is unfortunate that something needs to be said but I think this cheerlebrity fan craze has some effect on performance to a certain degree.

Other coaches: If you are going to a big event and you know you have kids in your program who will be after these athletes picture, it is not too hard to add something in an email before the competition. Also unfortunate that it has to be done but when it comes time for NCA and other big competitions, I foresee this being an issue.

EPs: You have control over these 'meet and greets'. The money might be great but it is influential in the cheerlebrity nonsense. Eventually, you will be like ACA and have to go to extreme measures to protect average teenagers who really don't need protection.

I find it interesting that someone would hire a bodyguard. Don't get me wrong, I am aware that there are done crazy people out there and unfortunately within our cheer community. What I really thought was interesting was that a picture was posted by a cheer magazine stating this individual had to hire a bodyguard, but then also provided his screen name to follow him on twitter or Instagram. Really? It's almost like saying don't bother me but please follow me.

I find it interesting that someone would hire a bodyguard. Don't get me wrong, I am aware that there are done crazy people out there and unfortunately within our cheer community. What I really thought was interesting was that a picture was posted by a cheer magazine stating this individual had to hire a bodyguard, but then also provided his screen name to follow him on twitter or Instagram. Really? It's almost like saying don't bother me but please follow me.
I wonder if HE did that or if they did (posted social media handles). Or if they had it from a previous interview. Anybody know how those interview contracts look?

I wonder if HE did that or if they did (posted social media handles). Or if they had it from a previous interview. Anybody know how those interview contracts look?
Most likely is was the magazine. A simple statement was made stating how he had to hire a bodyguard for this past weekends competition. Also stated to "...remember he's a competitor just like you." They are both smiling in the picture.

I was her bodyguard the last 2 years. Let me say it got crazy the last 2 years and someone talked about Myrtle Beach, I had to pull her off a wall in the arena she was getting crushed. It was the worst. But to be fair to the EPs, it is not their fault or responsibility. That said, be polite but do not stop if possible. If you do stop, have your back to an exit. Never get against a wall. Have someone with you at all times. Do not stop or respond anywhere where other people are trying to get something done or around vendors. DO NOT MAKE DEALS with vendors to sign or promote. Never works out well, we made that mistake twice last year. And when you graduate and go to college, make good grades!
Yes, yes and YES to bold!

To my knowledge, neither we nor the athlete had anything to do with that particular post. Also, we didn't actually "hire" someone. I believe he volunteered.

Back