All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughter did a Varsity "fashion show" and was not paid for that appearance. So I don't know that it is necessarily true that they are paid for those types of things. Maybe their trip to and from is paid, but I don't know that they are getting anything on top of that.

The only thing Maddie was paid for while she was cheering was expenses to and from a competition and standard pay to judge that competition. Not anything else. Since she is done cheering all star and high school, she is paid for appearances, signing for specific vendors, judging etc. We did not know you could get paid for appearances but in my mind if cheer is going to be a sport, whether participating athletes should be paid for this type of thing should be decided at some level. Looking back, my answer would be they should not. She still goes to some competitions and is asked for a autograph and does it and pictures for free. Some people have said different but not true.

My daughter did a Varsity "fashion show" and was not paid for that appearance. So I don't know that it is necessarily true that they are paid for those types of things. Maybe their trip to and from is paid, but I don't know that they are getting anything on top of that.

You guys know better than I do. Thanks for clearing up.

I do think some of the focus has been lost on the team aspect, at times.. I know some will disagree with me, and thats ok. I also know our sport is not like other sports, so that its also hard to make an accurate comparision. With most team sports the team works together to move a ball down a field or court - or running/swimming a relay you soley rely on your team mates to cross the finish line or score a touch down or goal. Individual mistakes can hurt the team and even costs teams a win, so we know in cheer that part can be somewhat comparible - bad ref calls, missed calls from refs can change an outcome of a game also - being a judged sport can somewhat relate to that aspect - things can be missed - or judged to your favor. With so many different things needed in a cheer routine to max out a scoresheet I think that is where you start to see the individuals stand out without meaning to single them out. You need flexible flyers. You need hyper extended jumpers, crazy tumblers, dancers.. beast bases...rarely will a cheer team have 20 girls that max out every skill..If you are on a soccer team - you may stand out if you are a good goalie or you are a forward that scores alot of goals. But the consistent mid field player that sets up the goals for the forward, causes many turn overs for his team may not get noticed because he does not score the goals. The same thing on a cheer team - the base or backspot that may never let a stunt fall, and that is a good jumper and dancer my just blend in, but is one of the most consistent reliable girls on the team. Its just the nature of our society, and what it has turned into. But I do think it can be handled differently now, that there is more awareness. I am not against role models, and cheerleaders standing out for their abilities. i just think if the focus was more on the team from the top it may handle itself.

Let me be clear, being paid for your time, is not a bad thing - even in a child's life. Time is precious and some opportunities come once in a lifetime. I started working at 10. But, the adults have to figure out ways to regulate behavior and set limits. What we write on twitter, which magazines we appear in, when is it appropriate to sign autographs, how we behave in uniform and out of uniform, what it means to have poise, how to be well spoken. Now that this can of worms is open, it's a great opportunity to answer these questions, to begin to think of a system of rules to protect the athletes and to teach kids these lessons. I guess what I'm saying is we have to deal with what "is" in a responsible manner. Once we do, we will be able to go back to focusing on the group. As long as kids are running around saying and doing whatever and being called "Cheerlebrities" it will continue to be detract from the team.

Well true. But the baby and bathwater comes to mind. And there appears to be a herd mentality occuring right now instead of thoughful response to the problem at hand. The gym side is fine if voluntary, it won't help much but so be it. Is there going to be a code of behavior for the fans at the competitions?

Based on my personal experience since pulling back on some of my CP exposure those that see her as a role model and wanted pics/ autographs have been manageable. I do believe controlling the amount of exposure by the industry plays a huge role in her being able to be somewhat of a normal athlete.

I think you are right. It should not be an issue if athletes are going to their gym's room, the bathroom (yep, follow you right into the stall), warmup and the competition to be free from being approached and the EP should and can help with that as you have noted. Now if the athlete chooses (many will) to walk around to interact than deal with the consequences. The staffs can nip that in the bud by putting them in the back left or whatever. On the IC and magaizine front, how in the world does anyone expect these publications to NOT use the athletes, coaches and owners in their stories? I really do think that is out of bounds for a gym to limit that outlet. Now telling them not to sign autographs for subscriptions with their uniform on, absolutely. Telling them no story or article in a magazine. Nope. But you can if you want, I think it is no help and hurts the media.

I don't think anyone is saying the magazines can't feature athlete, coach ad owners in the story. That is what they use to do. The issue is the industry consistently focuses and promotes a particular team or athlete creating over exposure resulting in fans thinking the teams/athletes are accessible at all times.

They hire security, they rope them off, Beiber doesnt roam around, he runs to hide in his bus or dressing room. The crazed fan is the "bread and butter" of the professional athlete and the rockstar...so they PAY to protect themselves and arrange for meet and greets to be able to "stay in touch" with the fans. IS THIS what you want for all star cheerleading? These professional organizations dont lecture parents to get control of their child...they make it impossible for the crazed fan to get to their client
I do understand the Beiber fever and All-Star fans are different, my point is the same. Beiber hires security bc he has risks, do I think that All-Star needs that, no, but my point is, what happens when the Beiber crazed fan crosses the line? That individual or group is removed, that is what I would like to see. I don't want All-Star cheer to be a place where kids can't look up to one another for positive reasons. I don't want competitions to be this segregated, secret holding room for kids to feel safe. I want kids to be kids, and run around and have a good time, meeting new friends, taking pictures and sharing memories that will last a lifetime. I still have pics from when I was in high school and I even still have NCA staff trading cards of those people I looked up to. What I want is when ANYONE steps out of line for the blame not to be put on the individual approached, the gym they represent (however they may choose to do so) or for the parent allowing them to be viewed. I want the blame put on the person who does not have respect for those individuals. I don't care what the sport is or where it occurs.

The only thing Maddie was paid for while she was cheering was expenses to and from a competition and standard pay to judge that competition. Not anything else. Since she is done cheering all star and high school, she is paid for appearances, signing for specific vendors, judging etc. We did not know you could get paid for appearances but in my mind if cheer is going to be a sport, whether participating athletes should be paid for this type of thing should be decided at some level. Looking back, my answer would be they should not. She still goes to some competitions and is asked for a autograph and does it and pictures for free. Some people have said different but not true.
If athletes get paid for these things then it starts to take on the appearance of a professional sport...I imagine it would have to follwo the same model the olympians use - which is sponsorships, but not really endorsements until AFTER they are done with the olympics.

I do understand the Beiber fever and All-Star fans are different, my point is the same. Beiber hires security bc he has risks, do I think that All-Star needs that, no, but my point is, what happens when the Beiber crazed fan crosses the line? That individual or group is removed, that is what I would like to see. I don't want All-Star cheer to be a place where kids can't look up to one another for positive reasons. I don't want competitions to be this segregated, secret holding room for kids to feel safe. I want kids to be kids, and run around and have a good time, meeting new friends, taking pictures and sharing memories that will last a lifetime. I still have pics from when I was in high school and I even still have NCA staff trading cards of those people I looked up to. What I want is when ANYONE steps out of line for the blame not to be put on the individual approached, the gym they represent (however they may choose to do so) or for the parent allowing them to be viewed. I want the blame put on the person who does not have respect for those individuals. I don't care what the sport is or where it occurs.

What is to stop me from going up to the EP and just having them remove my competitors because I said they were acting up and crossed the line? My team mom and other coach saw her do it to us in the warmup room by herself.

I would NEVER think to follow someone into the warmup room... I always assumed there were rules about it, which is why parents/other teams from the gym didn't come back with us. I mean, maybe I was just oblivious. But I think there SHOULD be rules - nobody in the warmup room who isn't warming up/with their team, no personal pics in the warmup room, no approaching people for autographs in the warmup room. If you have rules about the warmup room, I think it would seriously help, but I think that even just an announcement like at ACA would probably solve the situation in most cases. Or say "If you are harassing, following, bothering an athlete for pics/autographs at an inappropriate time you'll be removed from the venue." the threat of being removed and hurting your team would stop people from bothering them. (inappropriate isn't the best word but it would really be at the discretion of the Athlete/Parent/Coach when they would sign/take pics and when they wanted to be left alone. And it would apply if the athlete had already said "not right now" or whatever and the person kept harassing them. Not just "can I get a pic?" "LEAVE")
ETA: Sorry if this makes no sense.

Based on my personal experience since pulling back on some of my CP exposure those that see her as a role model and wanted pics/ autographs have been manageable. I do believe controlling the amount of exposure by the industry plays a huge role in her being able to be somewhat of a normal athlete.

Call me a rugged individualist but I have no problem with you doing what is best for you and yours and have not one part of me that feels the need to tell you what is best for you and yours. Now since she is doing better now how in the world does what has been done with all this play a role as it has had no effect to this point? You assume it may and feel you are right, but your natural tendency is to restrict others in some way with rules and regulations. That is not my style.

If athletes get paid for these things then it starts to take on the appearance of a professional sport...I imagine it would have to follwo the same model the olympians use - which is sponsorships, but not really endorsements until AFTER they are done with the olympics.

I agree.

Call me a rugged individualist but I have no problem with you doing what is best for you and yours and have not one part of me that feels the need to tell you what is best for you and yours. Now since she is doing better now how in the world does what has been done with all this play a role as it has had no effect to this point? You assume it may and feel you are right, but your natural tendency is to restrict others in some way with rules and regulations. That is not my style.

My view point is that this is a youth and team sport. No different then my boys playing hockey, baseball or lacrosse. Do you have ROLE models in those sports as well of course but that's where it stops. This is NOT a professional sport. This is a team sport where you shouldn't put yourself above others - marketing or otherwise. If you rise to the top so should those that helped you get there. My daughter wouldn't of been an amazing tumbler without my support, her coaches and those team mates that worked together to get them where they are.

Back