All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My view point is that this is a youth and team sport. No different then my boys playing hockey, baseball or lacrosse. Do you have ROLE models in those sports as well of course but that's where it stops. This is NOT a professional sport. This is a team sport where you shouldn't put yourself above others - marketing or otherwise. If you rise to the top so should those that helped you get there. My daughter wouldn't of been an amazing tumbler without my support, her coaches and those team mates that worked together to get them where they are.

Can you understand that others may not agree with your pov and do not want a set of restrictive rules forced upon them by a group? It appears you believe in equal outcomes, I believe in equal opportunity. You see, if you choose to hold your child back for whatever reason, I have no problem. If you choose to hold mine back due to your vision, I have a problem. And let me caveat that I think you are a fine person, as is your daughter, and you are good friends with my wife and she thinks a lot of you and our daughters are very friendly. I am arguing the philosophy of such attempts at imposing fairness on life. In my experience it cannot be done due to the varied God given talents and gifts of the individual. Again, I have no problem with a voluntary pledge, EPs stepping up and providing some straight forward restrictions on access. I just know that these sort of things tend to escalate in committees behind closed dooors and become restrictions and rules that impose agendas. Best to minimize them in my opinion.

Can you understand that others may not agree with your pov and do not want a set of restrictive rules forced upon them by a group? It appears you believe in equal outcomes, I believe in equal opportunity. You see, if you choose to hold your child back for whatever reason, I have no problem. If you choose to hold mine back due to your vision, I have a problem. And let me caveat that I think you are a fine person, as is your daughter, and you are good friends with my wife and she thinks a lot of you and our daughters are very friendly. I am arguing the philosophy of such attempts at imposing fairness on life. In my experience it cannot be done due to the varied God given talents and gifts of the individual. Again, I have no problem with a voluntary pledge, EPs stepping up and providing some straight forward restrictions on access. I just know that these sort of things tend to escalate in committees behind closed dooors and become restrictions and rules that impose agendas. Best to minimize them in my opinion.

There is always difference of philosophies and I respect that - that's what makes this country great. Anyone who doesn't want to subscribe to the pledge then that is fine. I am only sharing my point of and experience.

There is always difference of philosophies and I respect that - that's what makes this country great. Anyone who doesn't want to subscribe to the pledge then that is fine. I am only sharing my point of and experience.

Fair enough. And have I no question about your motives, sincerity or commitment. We just disagree on this but if voluntary than there is not a problem

Have the EPs make the backstage area more restrictive when possible (ain't that bad an idea for a NUMBER of reasons, this being one). Athletes/Coaches/Gym Owners ONLY, may ONLY go back if checking in with a team that needs to be there. Maybe 1 to 2 passes per gym TOTAL may be given to additional people (if Team Moms need to go with them), and can only be given to adults registered with the gym, proof of ID required if attempting to go into the area. Teams are funneled from the mat to a designated area before moving back to the arena. That's at least a few set areas where you can keep things down a bit.

You don't want to completely cut kids off from interacting, as that's a social function and it'd be a shame to lose that connection (I just think of that photo with the F5, WC and SE girls at college)..but at least make it less open to chaos.

I love that photo.. They are not only teammates now but great friends

What is to stop me from going up to the EP and just having them remove my competitors because I said they were acting up and crossed the line? My team mom and other coach saw her do it to us in the warmup room by herself.
I'd rather see and deal with that than constantly worry about which kids getting attacked by which kid. If adults want to fight it out go for it.

I also think people don't give the social media the credit for this craze either. Example: If I follow Suzie on twitter, I now feel as if I "know" her. She posts "eww I hate pizza" then "OMG Justin Beiber is so dreamy". Then Suzie shows up to a competition and Emily feels as if she knows Suzie, walks up to Suzie at a very inappropriate time and starts talking to her - conversation goes like this "Oh hey Suzie, I saw Justin Beiber in concert last weekend and I hate pizza too". Suzie is obviously thrown off and has no clue who Emily is.

My point is, there is NO WAY to expect KIDS to understand this whole new phenomenon. And I don't think it's fair to say "Suzie delete your twitter" either. Education is the only answer. Again, I give props to gyms for taking a step, but until Emily is told she is making a mistake, she will continue regardless of no more commercials, ads, pics, autographs.

To avoid any misunderstandings: I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber, and I actually love pizza. And I never stalked Susie. :p

Do not assume any hidden agenda or tone behind this because of maybe what you're used to with me, this is out of genuine curiosity as I find this whole debate/discussion quite interesting and I'm trying to wrap my head around the big picture that everyone is saying. I'm going to clarify what you are getting at in this post before putting in my two cents because I don't want a pointless argument to start. By this post are you essentially saying "if you would like to limit your child's 'celebrity' status/industry exposure, by all means do, but do not expect me to limit mine."? By this I don't mean "I want my child to be famous and you can't tell me that (s)he can't be," but I'm more asking if you mean that these restrictions/guidelines - however one wants to put it - should be more individual than team? If that all makes sense.. I'm rather tired and I'm taking in a lot of words right now :p

Do not assume any hidden agenda or tone behind this because of maybe what you're used to with me, this is out of genuine curiosity as I find this whole debate/discussion quite interesting and I'm trying to wrap my head around the big picture that everyone is saying. I'm going to clarify what you are getting at in this post before putting in my two cents because I don't want a pointless argument to start. By this post are you essentially saying "if you would like to limit your child's 'celebrity' status/industry exposure, by all means do, but do not expect me to limit mine."? By this I don't mean "I want my child to be famous and you can't tell me that (s)he can't be," but I'm more asking if you mean that these restrictions/guidelines - however one wants to put it - should be more individual than team? If that all makes sense.. I'm rather tired and I'm taking in a lot of words right now :p
I think yes, that's what he's saying, but he'll clarify,

If you want limitations on yourself, go ahead, but don't impose your limitations on others..or something like that.

As you know my kids are out, done, gone and finished. To clarify I am trying to speak for every child, not mine only, by using mine as an example. I am saying as an individual or voluntary group of individual athletes and staff, a gym, if you choose to limit the individual and their expression fine, but do not require others to live by the same vision. If you are worried about safety, set an EP standard for security. I personally think, btw, that security and medical care is terrible at almost all competitions considering the numbers of people involved. IF you are worried about fairness and equal outcomes, if it bothers you that there are differential rewards in life based on many, many variables including gifts and talent, do NOT RESTRICT the whole cohort in a misguided attempt to impose a vision of fairness. It will never work, and all you do in put unnecessary infringements on people and never reach the goal you seek. It is a Nirvana that we have never come close to achieving. I believe life is not in reality fair, rewards and outcomes are varied and kids need to be prepared for that fact. For all the time, effort and resources we put into cheer for my girls, I wanted it to remain relevant to what awaits them afterwards. For mine, it did. I hope it stays that way.

Everybody is saying that these "cheerlebrities" are minors, making it not okay... but what about those on open teams? I personally look up to Chelsea Boleyn so much because of her flying ability. Would the "cheerlebrities" on open teams be just as bad?

A little bit off topic, but I've seen "cheerlebrites" doing some pretty weird things. For example selling their old uniforms for over $500 on instagram. I think it goes both ways. If you put yourself out there, then don't complain when it starts to blow up. There is a such thing as being really private, I know some amazing athletes who keep their social networking restricted to just their real friends.

A little bit off topic, but I've seen "cheerlebrites" doing some pretty weird things. For example selling their old uniforms for over $500 on instagram. I think it goes both ways. If you put yourself out there, then don't complain when it starts to blow up. There is a such thing as being really private, I know some amazing athletes who keep their social networking restricted to just their real friends.
The issue isn't how they got that way, the issue is how KIDS are being approached. Regardless of where fault lies in creating the "cheerlebrity" a childs safety should always be #1. And being approached while practicing, going to the bathroom, or cornered to sign an autograph or take a pic is not ok, I don't care how much they asked for their bow, bloomers etc.

Everybody is saying that these "cheerlebrities" are minors, making it not okay... but what about those on open teams? I personally look up to Chelsea Boleyn so much because of her flying ability. Would the "cheerlebrities" on open teams be just as bad?
I feel like they wouldn't be as bad because they aren't minors. I think it's still not okay for people to come up to them in warm-ups and when they have to be with their team, but I guess less of an issue because they are legal adults?

Back