All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm 38 and after reading your post I'm hearing my parents say this in my head! They didn't like "you can't do that on television" on nickelodeon either ;)
I'm 36 and there were so many shows that we weren't allowed to watch, lol. However, we were allowed to listen to whatever kind of music we wanted. My dad wouldn't give us the unedited versions of certain CD's from his stations, but he did allow us to listen to the music (as it was heard on the radio). From my opinion, I feel like that's a bit different bc little kids can hear a song and sing it w/o knowing what the lyrics mean compared to adults (remember Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "relax" song :eek: ).

Maybe "Married With Children" was the beginning of the end. And the Simpson's.

Yeah we weren't allowed to watch that one either!

I see what you're saying, but you kinda twisted my words. I never said cut off their exposure (actually I said I wasn't suggesting severing their contact w/media all together), I said limit it. This is the sort of thing that goes without saying. If you have a child who is actually doing graphics for video games, or a computer programmer, etc., of course their exposure is going to be significantly higher. I also never said you had to do ALL of those things to be super smart and the top of your class. I said "how many kids do you know who DO ALL of those things are known to watch MTV (or TV in general)? Probably not that many.

I'd like to add that I've noticed a decline in English skills, even super smart people who have always had impeccable grammar, spelling, etc., the more time they spend online or on their phones. Doctors, surgeons, and even.... websites (done by a computer programmer!!!) ;)

And I didn't take your comment in a snarky way. Healthy discussion is good :)

I blame cell phones and texting. It's absolutely appalling how bad it is nowadays. I have a friend who does HR for Target Corp. and he sent me a couple resumes that had been submitted (yes, that's not kosher, but shhhh) and you would be shocked at how bad some of them were. Apparently kids aren't even taught cursive anymore?! Insane.

I blame cell phones and texting. It's absolutely appalling how bad it is nowadays. I have a friend who does HR for Target Corp. and he sent me a couple resumes that had been submitted (yes, that's not kosher, but shhhh) and you would be shocked at how bad some of them were. Apparently kids aren't even taught cursive anymore?! Insane.
Agreed!! And NO they're not!!! I have a 7 year old and apparently found out that cursive is no longer on the curriculum anymore!!! Isn't that the point of a "signature"?!

Every summer hiring teachers I add to my "hall of shame" folder for real resumes. The grand champion remains the cover letter that said (and this is a direct quote)

"Dear [hiring manager],
I am excited to apply for the position of [insert position name here] at [insert organization name here]. .,.. I am confident you will find my skills valuable to [insert organization name here]. I have considerable experience with [list relevant qualifications]. .... I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
NAME

Name

And yes, NAME actually said "NAME" in large cursive font.

I sincerely wanted to reply,

Dear Name,
I regret to inform you that we have no positions for which your listed relevant qualifications would be appropriate. But, thank you for your interest.

Signed,
Mrs. Hiring Manager

You cannot make this stuff up.

Agreed!! And NO they're not!!! I have a 7 year old and apparently found out that cursive is no longer on the curriculum anymore!!! Isn't that the point of a "signature"?!
Our schools tried this alternate way of teaching the kids how to print in kindergarten (I think it only lasted through my middle child) so that they formed their letters with tails and connectors with the thought it would be easier for them to transition to cursive in the later grades. Good in theory, terrible in practice because it frustrated all the kids who came in from preschool already writing and made them hate penmanship, plus none of the parents knew the letter formations. They have since completely abandoned this route.
In all fairness of the kids, I think about when I need to use cursive my everyday life and work - and it is truly only when I need to sign my name. And I have to sign so many things somedays that my signature has deteriorated into a collection of lines and swirls that barely resembles more than 1-2 true letters. So perhaps teach them that - let them practice their name, then hand them a laptop and teach them how to use SPELLCHECK religiously. Spend a few more years on grammar as well, and refuse to hand out HS diplomas until they can prove they have mastered the difference between your/you're, there/their/they're and too/to/two.

Every summer hiring teachers I add to my "hall of shame" folder for real resumes. The grand champion remains the cover letter that said (and this is a direct quote)

"Dear [hiring manager],
I am excited to apply for the position of [insert position name here] at [insert organization name here]. .,.. I am confident you will find my skills valuable to [insert organization name here]. I have considerable experience with [list relevant qualifications]. .... I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
NAME

Name

And yes, NAME actually said "NAME" in large cursive font.

I sincerely wanted to reply,

Dear Name,
I regret to inform you that we have no positions for which your listed relevant qualifications would be appropriate. But, thank you for your interest.

Signed,
Mrs. Hiring Manager

You cannot make this stuff up.
I should send you some of the emails I receive from certified teachers. Smh.
I have my hall of shame interviews - the ones we still laugh about and are amazed when they call and ask if we have any work for them. Ummm, you fell asleep during the interview and smelled like garlic and spoiled milk, let me hire you to represent our company. This is why I interview everyone, because it is very easy to look good on paper - or in your case, look really bad.

While I do feel the Cheerlebrity craze is unsafe and a little too much, I also feel like I have to play the devils advocate just for a minute by saying it doesn't help the situation to put kids on magazine covers, have them be in web series, or have then at autograph tables signing things, modeling in magezines etc etc.

I wish these kids could just walk around competitions like normal kids and enjoy a competition without being hassled. I do feel bad but in a small miniscule sense I dont. I understand its not the kids fault and these companies dont help the situation but sometimes if it starts to get REALLY bad cant they just say no?

I've said this before and I will say this again, it is all about teaching kids respect. I do not care if a kid is on the cover of a magazine, signing autographs etc. etc. There is a time and place for that, and there should be. The kids and I am even sick I have to say this, PARENTS, have got to learn when and where this acceptable and when and where this is not. I can not fault the hype whether it is through an article, tv show, or self promotion because I feel that all play a part and different routes have all played a part. I am disgusted that the blame is being turned onto the wrong people. It annoys me to no end. Regardless of who you want to blame, if there was no such thing as instagram, twitter etc. there would still be stand out athletes. These athletes would be admired (the level might be different) but at the end of the day the correct way/time to approach someone is no different. The approachie (idk if that is even a word or term lol) is to blame, not the approached.

While I do feel the Cheerlebrity craze is unsafe and a little too much, I also feel like I have to play the devils advocate just for a minute by saying it doesn't help the situation to put kids on magazine covers, have them be in web series, or have then at autograph tables signing things, modeling in magezines etc etc.

I wish these kids could just walk around competitions like normal kids and enjoy a competition without being hassled. I do feel bad but in a small miniscule sense I dont. I understand its not the kids fault and these companies dont help the situation but sometimes if it starts to get REALLY bad cant they just say no?
So do not produce any magazines? You cannot have magazines without

So do not produce any magazines? You cannot have magazines without
I am just saying there are ways to produce magazines and products without putting an athlete in such a spotlight where they cant enjoy a competition because their too busy signing autographs and getting bombarded because of it. When I was younger I got subscriptions to American Cheerleader and it was nothing like it is now.

Check out the major drop in grammar as well...both in high school testing and SATs! Definitely wish they would go back to basics more!

Back