All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I blame MTV for the decline in social behavior :mad:
Have you been hiding under a rock? Boys have been doing stupid s*** since they were toddlers starting at the dawn of time (ESPECIALLY pre-technology, no internet, computer, video games, ipod, etc.), "Guidos" have been around long before MTV, cocaine was used more and probably even more visibly so years before MTV, casual sex and drug use was probably just as high during the mid-sixties-seventies (maybe higher) for both sexes, plenty of southerners have been displaying ignorant behavior since the civil war, etc. etc.

If you're looking for something to blame, the Internet is probably a more probable (but not only) culprit. Perhaps the laissez faire parenting of many of the baby boomers, broken homes, and single parents are more likely culprits as well.

*Those examples I used are specific to shows and behaviors shown on MTV at one time or another, not to really single anyone out.

Oh, you were serious?!?
Actually I was being a bit facetious. However, there isn't a whole lot of worthwhile programming to be proud about on that channel.

But for the sake of argument....
Have you been hiding under a rock? Boys have been doing stupid s*** since they were toddlers starting at the dawn of time (ESPECIALLY pre-technology, no internet, computer, video games, ipod, etc.), "Guidos" have been around long before MTV, cocaine was used more and probably even more visibly so years before MTV, casual sex and drug use was probably just as high during the mid-sixties-seventies (maybe higher) for both sexes, plenty of southerners have been displaying ignorant behavior since the civil war, etc. etc.

If you're looking for something to blame, the Internet is probably a more probable (but not only) culprit. Perhaps the laissez faire parenting of many of the baby boomers, broken homes, and single parents are more likely culprits as well.

*Those examples I used are specific to shows and behaviors shown on MTV at one time or another, not to really single anyone out.
I didn't say "stupid s***" hasn't been around since forever. Key word here...."decline". The idea is that issues are more prevalent now, hence why we're even discussing this.

Do you have stock in MTV or something? Blaming the Internet is a pretty simplistic opinion. The Internet was providing services long before social media ever popped up. Instead of me saying MTV, that'd be like saying television is to blame.

Actually I was being a bit facetious. However, there isn't a whole lot of worthwhile programming to be proud about on that channel.

But for the sake of argument....

I didn't say "stupid s***" hasn't been around since forever. Key word here...."decline". The idea is that issues are more prevalent now, hence why we're even discussing this.

Do you have stock in MTV or something? Blaming the Internet is a pretty simplistic opinion. The Internet was providing services long before social media ever popped up. Instead of me saying MTV, that'd be like saying television is to blame.
Umm, no. I just think it was a stupid thing to blame the decline of society on.
I understand that, but my point is the "decline" started long before MTV became a channel on TV. And I didn't just say the Internet...I also said probably one of the most crucial aspects, the laissez faire parenting, broken homes, single parents, etc. And yes, you could make a legitimate argument about TV in general, not just one channel. However, much as my parents limited the amount of time we got to watch television a week or play our Nintendo, that is what needs to be done today. And no, I 'm not suggesting severing their contact w/media all together; however, how many super smart kids who are excelling in school, the top of their class, play sports, have lots of extracurricular activities, etc. are watching MTV (or TV in general) on a daily basis? My guess is not many.

I understand that, but my point is the "decline" started long before MTV became a channel on TV. And I didn't just say the Internet...I also said probably one of the most crucial aspects, the laissez faire parenting, broken homes, single parents, etc. And yes, you could make a legitimate argument about TV in general, not just one channel. However, much as my parents limited the amount of time we got to watch television a week or play our Nintendo, that is what needs to be done today. And no, I 'm not suggesting severing their contact w/media all together; however, how many super smart kids who are excelling in school, the top of their class, play sports, have lots of extracurricular activities, etc. are watching MTV (or TV in general) on a daily basis? My guess is not many.

I kind of disagree with this. I don't think you have to be at the top of your class, in sports and countless extracurriculars to be succesful or super smart. I bet you a ton of CEOs involved in online enterprises, or IT type people were what you would consider over exposed to media and the internet. I bet you the best sports commentators are great at it because they dove into every aspect of the sport, not studying to be at the top of their class and having their nose burried in a book. Not trying to be snarky, just another way to look at it.

I kind of disagree with this. I don't think you have to be at the top of your class, in sports and countless extracurriculars to be succesful or super smart. I bet you a ton of CEOs involved in online enterprises, or IT type people were what you would consider over exposed to media and the internet. I bet you the best sports commentators are great at it because they dove into every aspect of the sport, not studying to be at the top of their class and having their nose burried in a book. Not trying to be snarky, just another way to look at it.

I see what you're saying, but you kinda twisted my words. I never said cut off their exposure (actually I said I wasn't suggesting severing their contact w/media all together), I said limit it. This is the sort of thing that goes without saying. If you have a child who is actually doing graphics for video games, or a computer programmer, etc., of course their exposure is going to be significantly higher. I also never said you had to do ALL of those things to be super smart and the top of your class. I said "how many kids do you know who DO ALL of those things are known to watch MTV (or TV in general)? Probably not that many.

I'd like to add that I've noticed a decline in English skills, even super smart people who have always had impeccable grammar, spelling, etc., the more time they spend online or on their phones. Doctors, surgeons, and even.... websites (done by a computer programmer!!!) ;)

And I didn't take your comment in a snarky way. Healthy discussion is good :)

Maybe "Married With Children" was the beginning of the end. And the Simpson's.

Back