All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's honestly not the cheerlebrities that bug me. A lot of those kids are incredibly talented. It's a few people:

-The fans. What I don't like about them is that they obsess over these kids like they're precious angels sent down from the cheer gods. Over the hours these girls spend over obsessing over cheerlebrities, they could be running their routines or learning a new pass. Maybe even stretching. Instead of trying to be like somebody else, why can't they set their own goals and work to the best of their abilities? They shouldn't strive to have Jamie's abs or Kiara's pass or Gabi's needle. They should work on themselves and worry about their own teams.

-The endorsement deals. Seriously. Why do these companies promote these kids? I came into cheer to do something I love. I came to make friends with my teammates, to stretch myself as an athlete, and to do something I've always wanted to do. I'm positive that every cheerlebrity out there came in to do the same exact thing. I never got into cheer to be mauled by fans or to sign autographs. Especially that stupid Secret Diary of an American Cheerleader. Dumbest. Thing. Ever. These stupid endorsement deals exploit the minors and suck all the fun out of their cheer experience. As I said before, during the time wasted on endorsement deals, that time could be spent on learning a new pass or running the routine.

Ultimately, I feel bad for the cheerlebrities. Of course they love hearing that people are inspired by them and that people admire them. Everyone does. I just feel that fans and haters are a package deal. So the haters will slow the kids down and make them upset. And honestly, at a competition, during warmups, we'd want to be focused on hitting our routine and getting psyched up about getting on the mat. The enthusiasm from fans will drain those kids, and due to that, their performance will be poor. So honestly, for the love of cheer, stop obsessing and start working.

You nailed it right there. Another thing, is that false feeling of power that a cheerlebrity can over their many "followers". Inflated egos. In our society today, everybody still wants their 15 min of fame and to be "famous" and with social media, it's a 1000 times easier. I summed it up earlier. Narcissism. The love and self-infatuation of their own self. ;)

It's honestly not the cheerlebrities that bug me. A lot of those kids are incredibly talented. It's a few people:

-The fans. What I don't like about them is that they obsess over these kids like they're precious angels sent down from the cheer gods. Over the hours these girls spend over obsessing over cheerlebrities, they could be running their routines or learning a new pass. Maybe even stretching. Instead of trying to be like somebody else, why can't they set their own goals and work to the best of their abilities? They shouldn't strive to have Jamie's abs or Kiara's pass or Gabi's needle. They should work on themselves and worry about their own teams.
THIS! I'm aware of an athlete who lives to follow a few cheerlebritys and their teams. She talks them up all the time, etc etc. she has made zero progression in four years. Literally. Nothing. Doesn't come to tumbling practices ever...is on two teams (does not have tumbling for either of them) and has even laid out of an optional practice to "prepare to watch dance moms." She has a standing bhs and a running 2 bhs. She told her level 4 team when they were repping standing tucks (and she was sitting and watching) she was on that team to stunt and didn't need to practice tumbling.

Not. Even. Kidding.

It seems like if you're so enamored with these high caliber teams/athletes you'd show even one small iota of effort to try and improve yourself.

THIS! I'm aware of an athlete who lives to follow a few cheerlebritys and their teams. She talks them up all the time, etc etc. she has made zero progression in four years. Literally. Nothing. Doesn't come to tumbling practices ever...is on two teams (does not have tumbling for either of them) and has even laid out of an optional practice to "prepare to watch dance moms." She has a standing bhs and a running 2 bhs. She told her level 4 team when they were repping standing tucks (and she was sitting and watching) she was on that team to stunt and didn't need to practice tumbling.

Not. Even. Kidding.

It seems like if you're so enamored with these high caliber teams/athletes you'd show even one small iota of effort to try and improve yourself.
One would think that but everyone needs to prioritize :p

I don't really know who's to blame and what actions we can take to solve this problem. What I do know is that if any cheerlebrity isn't asking for this, or didn't "bring it upon themselves", then I feel extremely bad for them.

This weekend at a competition I was at, there was a team there with a couple cheerlebrities. I was just standing around when I noticed a bunch of young girls stalking the section I was in. I couldn't figure out what they were doing until one of them got the courage to venture into the stands and ask a certain cheerlebrity for a picture. Since my all-star career ended before this craze began, I asked my mom if she wanted to see "what a cheerlebrity looked like". I pointed out the giant group of girls with flashes going off everywhere, and my mom was absolutely mortified! She just couldn't believe that such a thing existed.

I've seen at the bigger comps where autographs are given and pictures are being taken everywhere, and I always just thought, "Wow, that must be really annoying." It wasn't until this past weekend where I felt UNCOMFORTABLE with this situation. I watched this teenage cheerleader sitting in the stands with her mother, trying to enjoy just watching the rest of the competition, and every 5 minutes girls kept walking down into the stands and asking her for pictures. Everytime she would get up, walk up the stairs, pose for several pictures, and go back to her seat. She wasn't mean AT ALL, but it will definitely obvious that she really just wanted to be left alone.

Watching this made my stomach turn. It was only young girls asking her for pictures, so it's not like it was a really "creepy" situation, but all I kept thinking is how easily it could be turned into that. I could not imagine for one second thinking it would be a good idea to go disturb a person sitting in the stands with their family just so I had a picture I could post on Instagram and get a lot of "likes". I felt awkward, uncomfortable, embarrassed, etc. and eventually moved my spot so I couldn't see it happening anymore. All I know is that if that is happening to a CHILD that is not asking for it, it is a crying shame.

I've seen at the bigger comps where autographs are given and pictures are being taken everywhere, and I always just thought, "Wow, that must be really annoying." It wasn't until this past weekend where I felt UNCOMFORTABLE with this situation. I watched this teenage cheerleader sitting in the stands with her mother, trying to enjoy just watching the rest of the competition, and every 5 minutes girls kept walking down into the stands and asking her for pictures. Everytime she would get up, walk up the stairs, pose for several pictures, and go back to her seat. She wasn't mean AT ALL, but it will definitely obvious that she really just wanted to be left alone.

That's where Mom or Dad of both the picture taker and the picture poser need to step in and say STOP! Poor girl.

That's where Mom or Dad of both the picture taker and the picture poser need to step in and say STOP! Poor girl.

I totally agree with you.
Luckily we don´t have this whole cheerlebrity thing over here, but if this was the case and my cp or another kid from my team would be asked for pictures every 5 minutes, i would stop it. In a nice way, but still. Will they be dissappointed? Maybe.
But the safety and mental health of my kids is much more important to me than making fans happy would be.

Umm, no. I just think it was a stupid thing to blame the decline of society on.
I understand that, but my point is the "decline" started long before MTV became a channel on TV. And I didn't just say the Internet...I also said probably one of the most crucial aspects, the laissez faire parenting, broken homes, single parents, etc. And yes, you could make a legitimate argument about TV in general, not just one channel. However, much as my parents limited the amount of time we got to watch television a week or play our Nintendo, that is what needs to be done today. And no, I 'm not suggesting severing their contact w/media all together; however, how many super smart kids who are excelling in school, the top of their class, play sports, have lots of extracurricular activities, etc. are watching MTV (or TV in general) on a daily basis? My guess is not many.
So your argument is to not rule out anything, that way you can always be right about something?

So your argument is to not rule out anything, that way you can always be right about something?
facepalm.gif

No, but if that's the way you took it then I don't really don't have a problem w/being right. :p

It's just a really asinine argument to blame a single television channel when there are obviously numerous contributing factors, that's all. I think that's a fair assumption, don't you?

Here is my concern with the Cheerlebrity situation. It takes away from the team and it takes away from a teams ability to mentally prepare for the competition. If an individual or Cheerlebrity team (such as smoed) is signing autographs and doing meet and greets at a competition where they are competing their head is not in the game. The focus needs to be put back on what we are all here for the cheer comp. Like at Spirit Sports the huge line to get autographs from smoed. How can the kids gracefully get up or say sorry enough is enough. They can't because then someone will say oh they are mean they wouldn't stick around and sign my program. Same day (Sunday) smoed had pyramid issues not saying there is a connection but maybe there was.

No, but if that's the way you took it then I don't really don't have a problem w/being right. :p

It's just a really asinine argument to blame a single television channel when there are obviously numerous contributing factors, that's all. I think that's a fair assumption, don't you?

How would you characterize it then?

I already said I was being a bit facetious when I mentioned it. For someone who gets all bent out of shape because they feel like they have to keep making the same irrelevant point, you don't seem to have the best comprehension either.

Great, that you don't have a problem being right, but with your argument, which really isn't even an argument, then you'd also be wrong as well.

Still, one could argue that MTV had the first widespread success in reality tv. Again, a network that creates shows that glorify conflict, disrespect, entitlement, etc. and paved the way for the reality tv model, which we've all discussed the merits of; then you're as naive as they come, if you believe they haven't had an effect on social behavior.

Ok has anyone seen the Jamie Andries at school insta? Just spat out my pancake when I saw.

if it's someone she is actually friends with it could be funny. if she doesn't know the person or who is taking them, it's downright creepy. and it's no longer a cheerleading competition, only famous 5-times a year issue. if she is now being stalked in daily life at school i honestly feel bad for this child.

if it's someone she is actually friends with it could be funny. if she doesn't know the person or who is taking them, it's downright creepy. and it's no longer a cheerleading competition, only famous 5-times a year issue. if she is now being stalked in daily life at school i honestly feel bad for this child.
At first I though über creepy. Then reading the comments from the owner it's like o she's fierce in her cheetah top so now I think it's a joke. And Jamie herself follows so she can't be that creeper out.

Back