All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I know you're not allowed to but if you were. And like I said if they made adjustments (i.e. NCA style choreo) they could win. Memphis would not get killed if they competed NCA and had and NCA style routine. Either would UK for that matter. Again, not really the point.

The fact that you aren't allowed to compete in both and can't have nearly the same routine means its disjointed.

But it is the point because we have nothing higher to aspire to we instead make our celebrities at our level. Then the cheer culture idolizes whoever they decide the heroes are.

The fact that you aren't allowed to compete in both and can't have nearly the same routine means its disjointed.

But it is the point because we have nothing higher to aspire to we instead make our celebrities at our level. Then the cheer culture idolizes whoever they decide the heroes are.
No that doesn't mean it's disjointed. Two companies doing they're own thing. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

here's the thing, i think it's great for the younger kids to have someone to look up to and aspire to be like skill wise. it gives them the drive and determination to push harder and work harder.

i have never been one to go crazy about a celebrity when seeing them in person. sure, it's cool to see someone that you have seen on tv/movies/etc. and sometimes you feel like they know them but you have to remember that they are real people and why would you interrupt their dinner? it's just plain rude to them and to their friends that they are with.

as far as cheer goes, perhaps coaches of high profile teams can make a rule that no one on the team can take pics/autographs/etc. within a 2 hour time frame of them competing. that way their midset is on competing and will weed out some people from bothering them. also, when they are approached they can tell the person "sorry, my coach doesn't allow us to do that". therefore eliminating some of the rudeness being blamed on the athlete.

coaches of other teams should probably talk to their kids about not approaching cheerleaders from other teams as well. competition day is about bonding with your team and competing as a team, not chasing around cheerleaders from other teams. i don't know what the perfect solution is and to be honest my cp doesn't care who anyone is or who they cheer for but then again she is only 9. that could change when she gets on the internet and starts getting into magazines.

I think to say that College athletes aren't idolize isn't exactly fair. No, they aren't attacked at comps, but that's because College Nationals isn't open for all cheerleaders. But I for one, love several college athletes. Aisha Brandon for one, who I will never meet, and all of UMD All girl. I've watched them compete for years living in Maryland, and they are so graceful. At Jamfest in December, I held the door for one of them and freaked out on the inside. They're royalty to me. Do I know everyone of their names? No, but the ones I do know have cheered for some of my favorite cheer teams in the past few years.

I don't see near as many 13 year olds watching NCA/UCA College Nationals as I do All-Stars
They should. That is their future.

I don't see College Athletes having the time to have a fan-based twitter and promote themselves with videos, etc.
Too busy getting degrees. But even then I see videos from college athletes all the time.

Most people are so burnt out on cheerleading by college their 'Give a Damn' is broken.
Maybe true for you but I doubt it's the norm.

College stunts, while impressive (I was a decent stunter, rewinds, full ups, etc) aren't as impressive. There is only so many ways to do a rewind or a coed full up. College is a little less innovative (As a WHOLE) compared to Allstar when it comes to stunt. Most of the college stunts, to me, are "strength impressive" as opposed to "innovative impressive"
Allstar isn't as innovative as you think. There isn't one thing going on I haven't already seen. The best elite coed stunters do drastically different and drastically harder stunts than any group on an allstar team. A group doing a double up pull through to stretch will never be as impressive as a coed couple doing it completely unassisted.

I think to say that College athletes aren't idolize isn't exactly fair. No, they aren't attacked at comps, but that's because College Nationals isn't open for all cheerleaders. But I for one, love several college athletes. Aisha Brandon for one, who I will never meet, and all of UMD All girl. I've watched them compete for years living in Maryland, and they are so graceful. At Jamfest in December, I held the door for one of them and freaked out on the inside. They're royalty to me. Do I know everyone of their names? No, but the ones I do know have cheered for some of my favorite cheer teams in the past few years.

But isn't that validating what I said? You don't know their names. They aren't on magazine covers.

Perhaps. But I would argue that you could go to a gymnastics and never see athletes from other teams glorifying another athlete of another team.
Elites generally aren't competing at the same events as the lower levels. At elite meets, you absolutely see young lower-level gymnasts there being "super-fans" for the elites.

I am not saying that the phenomenon isn't ridiculous, I am just saying that it isn't something that is unique to all-star.

What's the meaning of disjointed then?
Lacking coherent sequence or connection. College cheer isn't disjointed. And based off this exact definition, I could argue that UCA and NCA aren't even disjointed because even though they score differently, they still have a connection. They both put on huge competitions for college cheer programs and are owned by the same company.

Elites generally aren't competing at the same events as the lower levels. At elite meets, you absolutely see young lower-level gymnasts there being "super-fans" for the elites.

I am not saying that the phenomenon isn't ridiculous, I am just saying that it isn't something that is unique to all-star.
Yes but it's nothing compared to how ridiculously it is blown up at cheer comps and how poorly it gets handled by coaches, parents and EP's.

I'm going to agree with what many people are saying about the social media issue. The more athletes post online, the more people know them and the more people will craze over them at competitions... I remember at worlds last year, I saw Maddie Gardner walking fast out of her "hiding spot" with her family to leave the park and people were legit chasing her to get pictures. I felt terrible for her.. But then on the other side, I saw smoed sitting in the milkhouse watching international teams and I saw the "twins" and asked for a picture and they seemed shocked! Their exact words were "You want a picture with us?" They stay quiet and under the radar online so of course they get to avoid some of the crazies, but people will still notice them for their great talent, not how attractive they are or how many likes on Insta they get.
So the simple solution to the "cheerlebs".. Calm down online.

Back