All-Star Disqualifying Cheaters

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

None of my business, I know, but I pulled up the schedule for this Match Play comp and it seems really small and only a small amount of gyms are on the schedule, one being Flip City.
My question is, is it because other gyms pulled out because of FC being there? And if so, will this mean that those gyms will come back in and compete at this comp since that gym is no longer competing?

Or is it just a small comp?

What a mess.

Though I suppose they should be thankful that Florida's law is pretty lax on giving out State ID's. Ours start at age 5, other states have a much higher minimum (I learned that thanks to FB this week). However, if they have any Tiny's or Mini's under 5 I'm assuming it's gonna take a passport.

I dont think it would be possible to get a passport by the next competition if they have athletes under 5. When I got mine it took about 5 weeks. I also don't see a lot of parents wanting to fork over the 100+ to get one.
This would mean handing over a FL State ID, a passport or a DoD military ID (in our case, it would be easier and cheaper to get CP one of those than a FL ID)---no way in hades. I understand complying with the sanction, but I think forcing the parents to relinquish the ID would be a deal-breaker in our house assuming I could ignore everything else that's been revealed over the past 24 hours. I don't understand why the ID needs to be kept by anyone except during the event when they'll be looked at.
Granted I have a passport so I would be able to give that for them to keep, but as a parent I'd be ticked that I would have to purchase an additional ID for my athlete because all they have is a drivers license. However I also see no point in the owners needing to keep the ID when not at competitions.

I dont think it would be possible to get a passport by the next competition if they have athletes under 5. When I got mine it took about 5 weeks. I also don't see a lot of parents wanting to fork over the 100+ to get one.

Granted I have a passport so I would be able to give that for them to keep, but as a parent I'd be ticked that I would have to purchase an additional ID for my athlete because all they have is a drivers license. However I also see no point in the owners needing to keep the ID when not at competitions.

I've known some pretty crazy Tiny parents in my short time in this state who would pay it, but I'm with you on this one---imo, the gym should be offering some sort of rebate or discount on tuition or a free private/class for this utter inconvenience, extra expense, and a thank you just for staying.

And I agree; use it for comps and then give it back until you need it again. Personal information, especially official forms of ID, are too precious these days to just pass off for over 6 months at a time for comp season. No way.

I've known some pretty crazy Tiny parents in my short time in this state who would pay it, but I'm with you on this one---imo, the gym should be offering some sort of rebate or discount on tuition or a free private/class for this utter inconvenience, extra expense, and a thank you just for staying.

And I agree; use it for comps and then give it back until you need it again. Personal information, especially official forms of ID, are too precious these days to just pass off for over 6 months at a time for comp season. No way.

Pretty sure a passport has your social security number on it. (Well maybe. Its been a while since I looked at mine.) I'm all for having ID's for everyone who competes, but it should be one that the USASF is in charge of creating, or it should not be required for owners to keep the ID all season.

Pretty sure a passport has your social security number on it. (Well maybe. Its been a while since I looked at mine.) I'm all for having ID's for everyone who competes, but it should be one that the USASF is in charge of creating, or it should not be required for owners to keep the ID all season.

I don't think so. We had CP's passport back to us before I even had her SS card issued to me. However, even without the SS number, with a valid passport it wouldn't be hard to find.

I don't think so. We had CP's passport back to us before I even had her SS card issued to me. However, even without the SS number, with a valid passport it wouldn't be hard to find.
Not at all. Theres a reason you're supposed to keep them locked up.

Let me say this...without knowing who this gym is (though I know their name), this may be the first time I've ever heard of someone "accidently" cheating. I've been doing this a long time. We all know the age restrictions. We've all made sure we have the current cheer age on every athlete SOMEWHERE so we can reference it. We've all been in situations when you go to use someone, and then realize they aren't age eligible. Never, not once, have I ever even thought about competing someone who wasn't eligible. There's no excuse for what they did. They can say it was an accident and was used to fill in for a sick athlete, but that doesn't hold water with me. If there is no one age eligible, you either mark the stunt, or you exhibition. Last year, we had a car pool get into a pretty serious accident on the way to a competition. No major injuries, but they couldn't make the comp. It affected several teams. We told the EP we would make them all go exhibition and the coaches filled in so the teams could go full out. It happens, but putting a non age eligible athlete on the floor never would have been a consideration. They can be upset all they want that area teams "ganged up" on them. You cheated. Whether you did it purposely or not, you cheated. Now you pay the price.

Let me say this...without knowing who this gym is (though I know their name), this may be the first time I've ever heard of someone "accidently" cheating. I've been doing this a long time. We all know the age restrictions. We've all made sure we have the current cheer age on every athlete SOMEWHERE so we can reference it. We've all been in situations when you go to use someone, and then realize they aren't age eligible. Never, not once, have I ever even thought about competing someone who wasn't eligible. There's no excuse for what they did. They can say it was an accident and was used to fill in for a sick athlete, but that doesn't hold water with me. If there is no one age eligible, you either mark the stunt, or you exhibition. Last year, we had a car pool get into a pretty serious accident on the way to a competition. No major injuries, but they couldn't make the comp. It affected several teams. We told the EP we would make them all go exhibition and the coaches filled in so the teams could go full out. It happens, but putting a non age eligible athlete on the floor never would have been a consideration. They can be upset all they want that area teams "ganged up" on them. You cheated. Whether you did it purposely or not, you cheated. Now you pay the price.

I agree. There is no "oops, I accidentally broke the law." Don't play the victim because you screwed up.

:shimmy:

Something I found interesting what the damage one solitary comment being made on a Facebook wall seemed to be doing to them; first, it's facebook and you have the power to delete it, but more importantly two, the person called for the coach who 'knowingly' did this to be fired. They can hashtag the heck out of their one family, one gym stuff---but I seriously doubt it's going to be enough crisis control.

None of my business, I know, but I pulled up the schedule for this Match Play comp and it seems really small and only a small amount of gyms are on the schedule, one being Flip City.
My question is, is it because other gyms pulled out because of FC being there? And if so, will this mean that those gyms will come back in and compete at this comp since that gym is no longer competing?

Or is it just a small comp?

What a mess.

From my limit knowledge (our gym doesn't attend Match Play), there is 1-2 big Match Play comps in the season and this isn't one of them. From what I've seen/heard, The State is the biggest of them all. But I do think the schedule looks like a hot mess because of how they divide it. For Saturday it's school teams, and then AS Tiny's and Mini's whereas Sunday is everyone else. Tiny's is restricted to LVL 1 and LVL 1 Prep and Mini's only adds a LVL 2 so not a lot of options anyway. Their schedule for Sunday looks a bit more complete. Will be interesting to see it once it's been finalized.

Agreed!

We had an athlete have an emergency visit to the ER a day before comp that was 8 hours away, with appendicitis and she had to have that removed and obviously wouldn't be able to compete with us. Half the team had already left for the comp and the other half was about to leave.

We have never had practice the night before a competition and we never practice at a venue, but we ended up getting an emergency 10pm practice at twist and shout that lasted really late. They tried others in her stunt group but it just wasn't safe to put up. It was literally the smallest flyer on the team with the smallest bases and we literally had no eligible flyer that could make the stunt work safely- they tried several girls and even switching groups ... So even with the extra practice we decided against doing the stunt at all for that group because of safety, and just reworked the pyramid and competed minus one less stunt as it was marked. Since we had 31 kids and only put up 6 stunts we definitely got dinged in the score and still were able to win our j3 division. Our senior 3 out scored us barely for an at large summit bid but no one would of ever said, hey Susie is to old but the size of a fetus and an amazing flyer let's use her!

The thought process on cheating is one that baffles me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense to any parents of this gym , but surrendering your legal form of identification to this gym is a BAD IDEA! Their coach was arrested and their gym has admitted to making an unethical decision. I don't think it is wise to invest that kind of trust at this point. Stick out your season if you choose, stand behind your teams if you choose, but I think it's a good idea to be wary,

Back