All-Star Disqualifying Cheaters

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I guess I wonder what team mom's do at your gyms which would even necessitate them to have BC of the kiddos. Our TM in general just coordinate team builders outside the gym and goody bags for comps....no BC needed for those jobs :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If there were no TM what would you suggest as an alternative. I like the idea of the TM but I do understand the concerns and issues that I've heard over the years. But what is the alternative? Do you think the TM responsibility should fall solely onto the teams coach? Or do you think the gym should hire enough staff to serve as team assistants to the coach for those duties?

Tons of gyms around the country don't have Team Mom's. We have one currently, but honestly, all of the communication comes from the gym. But we came from a program who didn't use them at all (because of prior drama). And original gym gave the title to someone but it was never really used in the traditional sense.

Tons of gyms around the country don't have Team Mom's. We have one currently, but honestly, all of the communication comes from the gym. But we came from a program who didn't use them at all (because of prior drama). And original gym gave the title to someone but it was never really used in the traditional sense.

CP has been in allstar for 4 years and we've always had a Team Mom. So I always thought it was pretty much standard practice.

If there were no TM what would you suggest as an alternative. I like the idea of the TM but I do understand the concerns and issues that I've heard over the years. But what is the alternative? Do you think the TM responsibility should fall solely onto the teams coach? Or do you think the gym should hire enough staff to serve as team assistants to the coach for those duties?

Yes - both options will work - the owner, coach, or a paid (as in gets a W2) assistant(s) should do this type of stuff. If gym is so big that the owner or coach can't handle, they should have enough money to pay someone.

Say a crazy TM takes my child's birth certificate and sells her info to an identify thief so she can pay for her World's trip that she can't pay for herself because she's maxed out all her credit cards with flying privates for her Suzie? - I want the liability for this to fall back on the gym where it should, and it not being me going after the crazy TM for any damages because she wasn't an official employee. I know it's unlikely that this would happen, but it could. I don't think its right for a business to let someone have access to their customers personal information like credit card numbers, birthdates, addresses, places of employment, etc. who hasn't been properly screened.

Last edited:
CP has been in allstar for 4 years and we've always had a Team Mom. So I always thought it was pretty much standard practice.

I always thought it was standard practice too, but the threads in the parent's forum lead me to believe otherwise. I think they're standard at large programs for sure, but definitely not unique not to have one at all.

As for what the alternative is, I think communication wise that info should come from the owner/coaches themselves. We have a team mom who is in charge of taking the kids to warm-ups, check-in's, and what not; but communication comes directly from the owner/coach and I appreciate that immensely.

@FlexyTumblerMom When my identity was stolen they caught the person who said she bought my information on the street with my name, address, phone number, and soc. sec. number for $25. They found the 3 identities she had stolen all had the same insurance company (BCBS) so, obviously, one of their employees had created a side job. I guess that's why needing a BC was confusing to me when a thief, or anyone, can get BC information off of social media, newspaper announcement, ancestry.com in abundance.

Our volunteer parents, IMO, are people that I would not have an issue carrying around a BC, anymore than handing it to a gym employee. As far as the stories, for every story of a TM that ran off with the uniform money, we can give tens of thousands of stories where not only the TM managed the money but, has done things for the team with their own funds. All in all, I guess if parents want gyms to hire more staff the gyms can but, it is just an added expense for us.

@FlexyTumblerMom When my identity was stolen they caught the person who said she bought my information on the street with my name, address, phone number, and soc. sec. number for $25. They found the 3 identities she had stolen all had the same insurance company (BCBS) so, obviously, one of their employees had created a side job. I guess that's why needing a BC was confusing to me when a thief, or anyone, can get BC information off of social media, newspaper announcement, ancestry.com in abundance.

Our volunteer parents, IMO, are people that I would not have an issue carrying around a BC, anymore than handing it to a gym employee. As far as the stories, for every story of a TM that ran off with the uniform money, we can give tens of thousands of stories where not only the TM managed the money but, has done things for the team with their own funds. All in all, I guess if parents want gyms to hire more staff the gyms can but, it is just an added expense for us.

Our TM doesn't handle birth certificates; that is owner only. In the past, our TM wanted to hold onto our BC's and I said no it would be in my purse. As a person, I would have been uncomfortable because I knew her well enough to know that I didn't trust her. She was a TM only in name---she didn't actually do anything for or with the team.

Our gym doesn't have team moms and it works just fine. We have an all star director who handles team communication. She coaches as well, but only one team. Honestly, there isn't a lot involved beyond sending out bonding/ party info a few times a year and making sure everyone gets the pre -comp email blast with meet times and places. She also collected hotel info for everyone for the one STP comp we are doing. The gym sends a monthly newsletter that takes care of most everything else.

I agree. Not saying any mom would do this, but they may also have your home and work address from gym info. Just recently, DMV officials warned new teen drivers not to post their new license pics on social media because of identity theft.

I'm probably a bit sensitive as I had someone in Texas using my debit card number for several months. The charges were sometimes $400 to $600 per day. BOA put the money back, but it was a hassel because they were coming left and right and I had to continually prove it wasn't me. Meanwhile, when I travel outside of NY/NJ, I have to notify BOA and if not, they will put a hold on my card for trying to buy a pack of gum. Yet, the crooks were having a field day with my card.
Agree. I can travel all over the country 2 weeks ago using my card with no issues, but when I come home and try to buy groceries at my local Publix, my card gets a hold for fraud alert. That was fun! I love that card companies are really trying to step up and help out, but not exactly accurate.

Agree. I can travel all over the country 2 weeks ago using my card with no issues, but when I come home and try to buy groceries at my local Publix, my card gets a hold for fraud alert. That was fun! I love that card companies are really trying to step up and help out, but not exactly accurate.

I don't think card companies are trying to help customers at all. In most cases, THEY take the loss in fraud.

We do not have TMs at our gym. Granted, we are relatively small. Coach sends out the emails. Person at front desk collects money and forms when necessary.

I know this is pretty old, but have not been on in a good minute and just wanted to pin point on some things.

Cheating the system is nothing brand new. (as we might all know) however it appears to be very rare when certain teams get caught and that rings alarms all over the to be quite honest. Maybe I'm wrong and it does get caught more then we realize.

This has happened to our gym twice (that I know of) where we were awarded a 1st place finish after the team that was announced as the winners were later discovered to have overage athletes competing. I would honestly imagine that the team members and their parents may have never even found out that the cheating had been caught! As far as I know, both of those gyms are still going strong.

I know this is pretty old, but have not been on in a good minute and just wanted to pin point on some things.

Cheating the system is nothing brand new. (as we might all know) however it appears to be very rare when certain teams get caught and that rings alarms all over the to be quite honest. Maybe I'm wrong and it does get caught more then we realize.
But unless actually proven to be cheating, by the usasf or an EP, why should it be ringing alarms? It could be a scenario where a former disgruntled athlete just throws out claims of cheating when in fact no rules are being broken.

**Awwww isn't that cute, you have multiple user names and don't think we know**

I think if a gym is making parents give copies of birth certificates to TMs, or giving TMs access to other kids' birth certificates, they should background check the TMs.

I personally would be uncomfortable w/ a TM having copies of my child's birth certificate - but I really dislike the practice of gyms having TMs to begin with, and I've encountered more than one crazy out of control TM over the years, so I'm sure that influences my opinion.

The gyms who's team moms go into warmups with the team are background checked. Just an FYI!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back