All-Star Division I And Division Ii At Worlds - Big Gym Separation

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NOOOOOOOOOOO.... (picture me howling in despair)

You have no idea the travesty of systems designed around MS Access -- how many broken dreams I've had to prop up by 'fixing' things written by amateurs who have been given tools that they don't fully understand. Use it for your home recipe collection if you have to but never try to make it the core of a multi-user system. Thank heavens I rarely ever have to deal with it anymore.

Haha what do you write in now? We actually do a lot of RPG over here. Which sounds antiquated but is really quite fantastic because you can use all your math and procedures from up to 50 years ago. While displays and interfaces have evolved and eclipse what used to be done, nothing can replace good and proper business rules that work.

Haha what do you write in now? We actually do a lot of RPG over here. Which sounds antiquated but is really quite fantastic because you can use all your math and procedures from up to 50 years ago. While displays and interfaces have evolved and eclipse what used to be done, nothing can replace good and proper business rules that work.

I use whatever the client has: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL. Connect using code written in C#, java, javascript, php, etc. (I have a friend who is really a fan of Python and wants me to get on the bandwagon but no clients with the need/requirement). I'm not saying that you can't botch up things in other databases/platforms, just that MS Access gave so much 'easy' power to users without fundamental understanding of database and application design that I came into some projects looking at nightmare code and strange requirements for apps. In most cases it would have saved a ton of their time and money if they had simply allowed me to do away with the Access mess and start from scratch.

And as for not accepting data imports... wow. I think it would have been one of my first steps to set up the ability to have the data fed into the system in batch format. Almost everyone today can put together an excel spreadsheet and it's easy enough to run validation scripts against it before importing any of the data into the live database. Heck, if they want, I'm sure that there are more than a few qualified people on this board who could handle creating a verification/insert script that could process a standard excel spreadsheet created from a basic template. My guess, as long as they did a reasonable job of designing the database in the first place, I could do it in an afternoon.

I use whatever the client has: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL. Connect using code written in C#, java, javascript, php, etc. (I have a friend who is really a fan of Python and wants me to get on the bandwagon but no clients with the need/requirement). I'm not saying that you can't botch up things in other databases/platforms, just that MS Access gave so much 'easy' power to users without fundamental understanding of database and application design that I came into some projects looking at nightmare code and strange requirements for apps. In most cases it would have saved a ton of their time and money if they had simply allowed me to do away with the Access mess and start from scratch.

And as for not accepting data imports... wow. I think it have been one of my first steps to set up the ability to have the data fed into the system in batch format. Almost everyone today can put together an excel spreadsheet and it's easy enough to run validation scripts against it before importing any of the data into the live database. Heck, if they want, I'm sure that there are more than a few qualified people on this board who could handle creating a verification/insert script that could process a standard excel spreadsheet created from a basic template. My guess, as long as they did a reasonable job of designing the database in the first place, I could do it in an afternoon.

King! I think you've found your programmer that knows PHP.

As someone who spends a lot of time and effort on design it amazes me when people think utility is enough to make something successful. They think making something easy to use is a luxury. In reality something easy and a pleasure to use prevents error and increases adoption and lowers complaints. It may cost more in the beginning but costs way less in the end. An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.
Please tell me you watched last week's southpark (obamacare/miley analogies galore)

LOL!!! Definitely not saying the USASF should go to church. I was simply using an example that nothing is ever going to be perfect. So if we wait for something (whether that be a person or business) to be perfect before putting our time and effort into it, we will be waiting forever...
That makes sense but I would caution putting too much into something that has issues from the start.

Cheer Dad = broke dad

The USASF employees are on the Varsity payroll and under Varsity contract.

I can say with 100% certainty this is not entirely true because I am not under a Varsity contract. I don't know about anyone else as I have not seen the terms of their employment.

The Athlete Registration system was setup for the athletes/parents to register themselves so they were responsible for the data they out in about themself, therefor no import feature was necessary. Coaches wanted to be able to input their athletes so that was granted, but no import feature was built.

Potential abuse of power issues aside, I would be more in favor of AR if USASF was a smooth, efficient operation that looked ready to take on another huge logistical challenge. So far, our experience in trying to get our athletes properly registered has been miserable.

Thus my government entitlement analogy. Miles of red tape, and unforeseen issues to do something that should be relatively simple. Something that is supposed to improve things, suddenly becomes the proverbial albatross. AR is like this and dividing the divisions, if implemented, will be like this as well because it will be handled by the same government.

I can say with 100% certainty this is not entirely true because I am not under a Varsity contract. I don't know about anyone else as I have not seen the terms of their employment.
Multiple folks at Memphis have said that Varsity non-compete terms extend through employees' time at USASF and that the Varsity payroll system was still being used. That has either changed, doesn't apply to everyone, or I was given false information. My apologies to you.

To reiterate my previous stance: I have zero issues with the actual rank-and-file employees of USASF. They generally do the best they can within the system. My issue is with the structure, lack of transparency, and lack of accountability.

I think that anyone can clearly see that Worlds is dominated by the larger gyms. Yes there are the occasional small gyms who break through now and again , but I do feel there is a demand/need for smaller gym divisions. However you wanna label it is up to the Usasf. Most sports have division breakdowns and world hope most larger gyms would recognize that this is for smaller gyms.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Reviving this thread because I am very curious as to where we stand with this proposal. I would think that the announcement to reduce bids might have an effect on this.

From what I have heard behind the scenes this proposal is a no go. No reasons given or who was standing against it. But since the decision has not been made official yet, who knows what will happen. Things have definitely been leaked in the past or told one way early in the tryout season and changed right before competitions started that would of changed how many gyms put their teams together. So let's all just wait together. :D

I think it should not be separate. The big gyms are big for a reason. Everyone had to start somewhere. If cali allstars can be so big, why not shjfjgke allstars? Cali had to start somewhere once, too.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think it should not be separate. The big gyms are big for a reason. Everyone had to start somewhere. If cali allstars can be so big, why not shjfjgke allstars? Cali had to start somewhere once, too.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Do you think the same thing about colleges which have Div I, II, and III?

There are a lot of things that go into being big, besides just great ownership, great coaches, great location and a great business plan. Demographics, available disposable income, other competitive sports that pull athletes and charge way less than cheerleading, states that have the rule that you can't cheer all star and school at the same time, also play a significant role. Also the industry has changed dramatically over the years so the things that allowed some of the "big gyms" to be able to get situated, figure things out and build their brand and then grow are not present currently IMO.

This is not an anti big gym issue or scared to compete and lose to them. It is recognizing that there are major differences between the two and honestly the industry needs both types to be healthy and survive.

Back