All-Star Doral Coaches Meeting This Week

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok, I would like to address this statement. In Doral the discussion to "adjust" the age grid for IOC/IO 5 was brought up at the same time the bottom age for Seniors was brought up. I would like to know, WHY we have an issue with a 14 year old in International team (mainly consisting of 18, 19, 20 year olds) but DON'T have an issue with a 10 year old with 17, 18, 19 (depending on cut off date). Honestly I see all sides, but I feel you are EITHER ok with the 10 AND 14, or your not with either. Not specifically brought up as a proposal but I heard talk of - "Why not have International being 17 & up for US comps i.e. NCA, Cheersport etc. and 14 & up at Worlds?" This allows to keep those kids on your senior teams AND use them at Worlds (if that team isn't a "World's" team). Just some ideas bounced around.

I personally think there are TWO main differences between US and International teams when it comes to this division.
#1 They have NO OTHER OPTION for teams to put that 14, 15 year old on, meaning they don't have A. Small Senior B. Medium Senior C. Large Senior D. Small Coed E. Medium Coed F. Large Coed (not saying they don't have the option, but simply those teams don't exist YET Internationally)
#2 They don't have NCA, Cheersport, Indy, UCA etc. as MAJOR events to compete in where they see the level that we do in the U.S. so World's is their "one shot". Yes, Worlds for U.S. International teams is the "biggest" deal, but winning NCA is equally (IMO) as big of an accomplishment.

Personally I'd LOVE to see the U.S. go to 17 & up, the argument has been that International teams will have an unfair advantage. My thoughts are (over time) International teams will catch the U.S., but guess what, the ONLY way International teams will catch the U.S. is by growing their YOUNGER teams/kids, so by the time they do start catching up to our teams that are 17 & up, they will have be able to field a Sm sr, sm coed etc. Now this is just thoughts and I'm sure there is are more reasons out there against what I am saying, but the positive for ME going to Doral is that things change in a positive way, but they TAKE TIME. So take a breath, think things through, remove your PERSONAL opinion and think "big picture"

Also, just bc I'm curious, can anyone think of the # of athletes that were younger than 17 that globed in the International Divisions this year? I'm not saying that there weren't any, I'm just curious.
Thanks! Happy ripping!

Great Post, I am not ok with Either. I understand when programs do not have a youth team or a team for a younger more advanced kid to be on but I do not support either. =)

The fact that a close eye has to be kept on the athlete because of the situation is to be a problem. I understand why they would do that, but if you have to have parents watching practices like a hawk because there is a group of 25 year old guys and a few 14 year old girls then that is enough for me to realize a change needs to be made in the age guidelines.
There is no way my dad would have ever agreed for me to be on a team at 14 with college age or college graduate men. He would simply state a child has no place on a team with grown MEN.

I absolutely hate that this hurts the athletes who were going to be on an International team, it is never fun to have something taken from you, but when looking at the bigger picture (to me at least) changing the age is the right thing to do.

I see what you are saying. Our coaches let us watch because they know we want to watch not because we have to keep an eye on the older athletes. Some of our coaches are mid 20's so I don't see the difference. Like I said before, at our gym it is preached that there are always little ears and eyes around so pay attention to what you say and do or you will be asked to leave. I can say we have been around other gyms where I would not want my child with the older guys but those gyms are run much more loose than I agree with. Does that make sense? I feel like I am beating a dead horse here.

Can you offer an explanation as to why the USASF doesn't simply adopt the IASF age rules?
I dont' know if anyone has answered this, but that was brought up at the meeting as a suggestion and I believe it moved forward to vote on at a later date.

I dont' know if anyone has answered this, but that was brought up at the meeting as a suggestion and I believe it moved forward to vote on at a later date.
That's good to know. When would they vote on it..... if you know?

Ok, I would like to address this statement. In Doral the discussion to "adjust" the age grid for IOC/IO 5 was brought up at the same time the bottom age for Seniors was brought up. I would like to know, WHY we have an issue with a 14 year old in International team (mainly consisting of 18, 19, 20 year olds) but DON'T have an issue with a 10 year old with 17, 18, 19 (depending on cut off date). Honestly I see all sides, but I feel you are EITHER ok with the 10 AND 14, or your not with either. Not specifically brought up as a proposal but I heard talk of - "Why not have International being 17 & up for US comps i.e. NCA, Cheersport etc. and 14 & up at Worlds?" This allows to keep those kids on your senior teams AND use them at Worlds (if that team isn't a "World's" team). Just some ideas bounced around.

Also, just bc I'm curious, can anyone think of the # of athletes that were younger than 17 that globed in the International Divisions this year? I'm not saying that there weren't any, I'm just curious.
Thanks! Happy ripping!

1. I don't think it is right for either, which is why I brought it up in one of my posts. If an 11 year old on a team of 18 year olds isn't alright then a 14 year old with someone in their 20s isn't right either.

2. The only person off the top of my head that I can think of who actually won at worlds this past year on an International team that was under 17 would be Emily Sawyer (16), but she may actually be 17. As far as the other teams that globed I am not positive.

What I find mildly amusing is that some people on the boards firmly discourage others from providing unsolicited parenting advice... yet back the USASF's 'parenting decisions'.
IMHO without actual evidence that it is a problem to have 14-yr-olds on a team with 25-yr-olds, then it is a parenting decision. Either a parent is OK with it or not.

What I find mildly amusing is that some people on the boards firmly discourage others from providing unsolicited parenting advice... yet back the USASF's 'parenting decisions'.
IMHO without actual evidence that it is a problem to have 14-yr-olds on a team with 25-yr-olds, then it is a parenting decision. Either a parent is OK with it or not.

It is the USASF's job to determine what the age bracket is and that is what they are doing. If doing this is a parenting decision then wouldn't the entire age bracket and all the rules be a parenting decision as well. Either a parent is ok that their 5 year old should be on a team with 15 year olds or they aren't, either a parent is ok with their mini athlete is on a worlds team or not, either a parent is fine with their mini athlete throwing kick doubles or they aren't, ect.
USAG has rules in place too that you could say would be a parents decision, but guess what they have the right to make those rules because they are the governing body.

It is the USASF's job to determine what the age bracket is and that is what they are doing. If doing this is a parenting decision then wouldn't the entire age bracket and all the rules be a parenting decision as well. Either a parent is ok that their 5 year old should be on a team with 15 year olds or they aren't, either a parent is ok with their mini athlete is on a worlds team or not, either a parent is fine with their mini athlete throwing kick doubles or they aren't, ect.
USAG has rules in place too that you could say would be a parents decision, but guess what they have the right to make those rules because they are the governing body.
I completely agree that they are able to make those rules and that we must abide by them... I just find it amusing.

To me actual evidence is all around in the cheer world, there are plenty of couples , some married now, that met when one was the coach and one was the athlete. That is a whole other subject though. ;)

Like I said in one of my previous statements. I am ok with my 14 yr old on a team with older guys at our current gym. We have been at other gyms where I would not be ok with it. With that said the USASF is making a broad based rule effecting everyone when in my opinion it needs to be addressed at the gym level. In other words make the rule for those gyms where there is a problem.

Like I said in one of my previous statements. I am ok with my 14 yr old on a team with older guys at our current gym. We have been at other gyms where I would not be ok with it. With that said the USASF is making a broad based rule effecting everyone when in my opinion it needs to be addressed at the gym level. In other words make the rule for those gyms where there is a problem.

I am OK with Victor teaching basket toss double backs at Top Gun, but I don't think they should be legal in routines because of what a "normal" gym would do if they tried it. I certainly don't think that different gyms should have different age brackets based on how well they police the adult/child interactions.

I am OK with Victor teaching basket toss double backs at Top Gun, but I don't think they should be legal in routines because of what a "normal" gym would do if they tried it. I certainly don't think that different gyms should have different age brackets based on how well they police the adult/child interactions.
Two questions for you:

1) Do you think that a problem exists and if so, that by simply seperating the 14 year old from the IOC team that will fix the problem? My point is that if there is an issue within a given gym then it won't matter what team the kids are on, the problem will remain.

2) Did USASF make this rule for safety reasons?

I do agree that you can't have different rules for different programs which is not where I intended to go.

On a side note, I do actually find these conversations enjoyable.

Does anyone know if any other topics were addressed at Doral?...seems like a lot more was needed to be discussed other that the international division age grid...worlds venue? Sandbagging? Unified score sheet?

Does anyone know if any other topics were addressed at Doral?...seems like a lot more was needed to be discussed other that the international division age grid...worlds venue? Sandbagging? Unified score sheet?
Worlds venue will stay the same due to a contract with Disney through 2014. No idea on sandbagging. Saw a tweet about a universal score sheet being looked at in July. Also a tweet regarding tumbling safety and having an injury reporting system.

Back