From Flyer To Base?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a newbie I have assumed that if you're among the youngest and smallest on the team you're more likely to fly. And as this only happens once every 3 years (if you stay in an age appropriate team), then you should be "happy" if you get to fly because it makes you a more versatile cheerleader. So, my CP6 is flying in some parts of the routine this year and I think it's a great experience for her. She will most likely be fine not flying next year and the next... but is it wrong for me or her to hope she might get the chance to fly again as a 9-year-old on youth? I hope not! :)

It wasn't some posters or people, in this thread it was me. It is perfectly fine to say it was me. I will always stand behind what I said. I will always listen to different points of view or ideas. I sensed the old flyer bashing rearing it's head. The initial attitude of the OP was hard to take and should have been shared with people close to the OP who could lovingly work her through her disappointment and the doubts and questions that she may have in moving from one position to another. She brought it here though and so she received responses to her disappointment. She listened to what was being said and started to work through her emotions with it. Some of the comments though about flyers and implying that they thought they were better or that they were the stars were moving closely towards the flyer hate.

It wasn't some posters or people, in this thread it was me. It is perfectly fine to say it was me. I will always stand behind what I said. I will always listen to different points of view or ideas. I sensed the old flyer bashing rearing it's head. The initial attitude of the OP was hard to take and should have been shared with people close to the OP who could lovingly work her through her disappointment and the doubts and questions that she may have in moving from one position to another. She brought it here though and so she received responses to her disappointment. She listened to what was being said and started to work through her emotions with it. Some of the comments though about flyers and implying that they thought they were better or that they were the stars were moving closely towards the flyer hate.

I think that's funny because back when I was actively cheering and flying, I couldn't have felt LESS like the star.

More like "OH JEEZ IF THIS FALLS, I'M THE ONE WHOM AN ENTIRE STADIUM/ARENA/CONVENTION CENTER'S EYES WILL GO TO FIRST. LORD JESUS."

The initial attitude of the OP was hard to take and should have been shared with people close to the OP who could lovingly work her through her disappointment and the doubts and questions that she may have in moving from one position to another. She brought it here though and so she received responses to her disappointment.

I thought this too. Why didn't she talk to her family or friends? But then I remembered coming on here myself with my issues. Because I don't have anyone in real life who knows about cheer! The OP seems to be doing pretty good now which is great.

I think that's funny because back when I was actively cheering and flying, I couldn't have felt LESS like the star.

More like "OH JEEZ IF THIS FALLS, I'M THE ONE WHOM AN ENTIRE STADIUM/ARENA/CONVENTION CENTER'S EYES WILL GO TO FIRST. LORD JESUS."

Yes!!! And as the Mother of a flyer I can say that when ANY team is practicing or competing I am thinking stay safe!!! I also know that the flyer is generally taking the blame for a fall, not always but generally. I saw a flyer fall not too long ago and I bent my head to pray and there were a few tears coming from my eyes. I really don't know that athlete at all but it was that scary.

Yes!!! And as the Mother of a flyer I can say that when ANY team is practicing or competing I am thinking stay safe!!! I also know that the flyer is generally taking the blame for a fall, not always but generally. I saw a flyer fall not too long ago and I bent my head to pray and there were a few tears coming from my eyes. I really don't know that athlete at all but it was that scary.

Holy moly. Was she ok?

The more you make it a big deal, the more the kid makes it a big deal. And this woman (she is in college, right?) made it a big deal.

I'm not an idiot, or a callous person. I'm a recovered anorexic and there no explanation that I've encountered that telling someone to "grab a shoe, princess," would cause a full blown eating disorder. The causes of eating disorders are varied, nuanced and deeply rooted in control issues. I am able to identify children at potential risk, have done so and spoken to parents before, but again she is not a child.

I do think flyers have been made to be the stars of this sport, whether we like it or not- and I don't like it, either as a flyer and as a coach. So when a princess comes in the boards, or comes to me in class, and says "why aren't I flying anymore, basing is so hard and I love being the star" you better believe I am going to shut that down fast. The bigger a deal you make out of it, the bigger a deal it is to them. I'm not completely insensitive and I keep an eye on the kids I coach, and talk to them (and their parents) if necessary. But if you're an adult who can't talk to your coach and come to a forum asking for opinions on why you can no longer be the star? Ughhh. Get over it and grab a dang shoe.

I don't know if you read the whole thread but, I did state that when I wrote it I was very confused and emotional. I'm in a totally different mental state now. I also said it's not just about being "the star" it's simply another part of it that I liked. I thoroughly enjoyed the feeling of being in the air.

I honestly feel like anyone put in the position would be upset. If you spent your break taking stunting classes telling everyone about the skill you just got, being so proud of yourself only to feel like it was in vain.
Kenzie Rutan was put in your same position.... before WORLDS. She accepted it, worked her butt off and did what she needed to do to make sure her team hit.

Learn from her.

ETA: I'm speaking to your older state of mind.

Holy moly. Was she ok?

In the end pretty much I think. I don't know her. I can say that instead of the big hair and teased pony tails I'm thinking ALL our cheerleaders should be wearing protective head gear. Bases taking a knee or leg in the mouth/nose and flyers dropping straight to their heads. Definitely an extreme sport they are involved in.

My CP's have had 3 friends get injuries during a comp. Two were flyers. Both broke their arms and had to have surgery. One was a main base that broke her nose catching a flyer in a basket. Safety is always on my mind during comp.

I thought this too. Why didn't she talk to her family or friends? But then I remembered coming on here myself with my issues. Because I don't have anyone in real life who knows about cheer! The OP seems to be doing pretty good now which is great.
That's exactly why I came here. None of my friends know a thing about cheerleading

Then there's the "OMG I WANT MY KID TO BE CENTER/POINT."

What I WANT to say a lot of times is "Ma'am I've BEEN CENTER/POINT (back when dinosaurs roamed, it seems) and really, being point is quite possibly the most nerve-wracking thing EVER. You do. not. want."

Oh you think I was just hamming it up up there after my stunt hit?

I was CHEESING because I'm thanking GOD it hit with no issues and praying for everything to go just as well on the way down.

Loved it but there were days when I would much rather have been on the other end!

@oncecoolcoachnowmom I've never felt like that in regards to flying! One thing I've never experienced is stage fright. I perform better under pressure. I'm pretty shy and reserved in person but I love being on stage. It's like being the person that I'm not in real life.

Back