From Flyer To Base?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Right.

It's important to remember that when you get wistful about flying, you're saying that's the only thing you're good at. I'm willing to bet that there are other capacities in which you benefit your team (tumbling, jumps, dance.)
the dance, and tumbling. my jumps still need a little help (my legs don't quite get the whole thing) lol.
Thanks for making me feel better about this whole thing. @oncecoolcoachnowmom @123jump4!

Last edited:
And there is the issue, yes it is possible to have the taller/bigger girls fly, but then what are you going to do with the extra tiny girls (some girls are very small for their age) who can't even reach to base.

My senior year, my side base was the smallest girl on the team and was also a flyer. She was a great flyer, but her flexibility was awful so she couldn't fly our elite stunt sequence. She was MAYBE 5' and I was 5'6". Our stunt group was the most solid, and dare I say, best stunt group on the team. She barely even touched my foot, she was mainly just there for looks and this was a level 4/5 team. So it is possible.

At the beginning of that year I flew elites and based baskets, quantity, and pyramid so that another girl had a chance to fly. I didn't care, it was cool with me. At the time, I wasn't a great base and the girl was bigger than I was but I worked my booty off so that our stunt would hit. But by the end of the year I ended up flying everything because of injuries/team restructuring. I just did what my coaches needed me to do.

Yes!!! And as the Mother of a flyer I can say that when ANY team is practicing or competing I am thinking stay safe!!! I also know that the flyer is generally taking the blame for a fall, not always but generally. I saw a flyer fall not too long ago and I bent my head to pray and there were a few tears coming from my eyes. I really don't know that athlete at all but it was that scary.

During the Carolina game tonight a USC cheerleader fell and there was a delay while she was treated.

My mom called me upset wanting to know if I'd seen it (uh no we're watching the same stream) and if she was okay and what happened. Like the woman was genuinely scared/worried/concerned/upset. I guess she was flashing back to my former years when I was a flyer....or when my younger sister got stomped on the face as a base....she doesn't even have a kid cheering anymore and she was still acting like a cheer mom (she's a cheer grand mom now)

Anyway. I'm not going to lie. From 13-17, if I'd got taken out of the air, I would have felt some kind of way about it. I would have gotten over it...but I would have been really salty about it. So 13 -17 year old Erin can sympathize with that. 28 year old Erin has no sympathy. Fly at home on your coffee can but come to practice and do what they need you to do.

Our younger selves tend (and hopefully shouldn't ) to not be as wise and reasonable as our older selves.

By college I was all about learning how to base....then it was discovered that I not only tumbled but I based and backed with my eyes closed.....nobody wanted that kind of drama in their lives.

My senior year, my side base was the smallest girl on the team and was also a flyer. She was a great flyer, but her flexibility was awful so she couldn't fly our elite stunt sequence. She was MAYBE 5' and I was 5'6". Our stunt group was the most solid, and dare I say, best stunt group on the team. She barely even touched my foot, she was mainly just there for looks and this was a level 4/5 team. So it is possible.

At the beginning of that year I flew elites and based baskets, quantity, and pyramid so that another girl had a chance to fly. I didn't care, it was cool with me. At the time, I wasn't a great base and the girl was bigger than I was but I worked my booty off so that our stunt would hit. But by the end of the year I ended up flying everything because of injuries/team restructuring. I just did what my coaches needed me to do.
Looks?

I honestly feel like anyone put in the position would be upset. If you spent your break taking stunting classes telling everyone about the skill you just got, being so proud of yourself only to feel like it was in vain.

After reading many of the posts given you some great advice about being more versatile and it appears you are ignoring the advice because this is not what you want to hear... I can only suggest that you pick a flyer out on the team and whack her across the knees and make sure she is hurt enough that her spot is securely yours...Okay!;)

Seriously, I feel bad for the other athletes on your team...because what you do not realize is that there are girls who only base and/or backspot, what if these athletes have the same attitude you have?... I am still trying to figure out how Flyers expect to fly, if the bases and backspots are not there to lift them in the air, Really!!!... All spots on the team are crucial and one spot is not more important than than the other... Get over yourself!:rolleyes:

PS: You are talking to a Mom, who daughter always been a backspot, but she loves it and in demand on her teams for her abilities... Yes, she also been a Main base and if tapped to fly, she is ready to step in to fly too...Always ready to do what is needed for the team...:cheering:

Last edited:
By college I was all about learning how to base....then it was discovered that I not only tumbled but I based and backed with my eyes closed.....nobody wanted that kind of drama in their lives.

This is scary yet hilarious at the same time.

Haha she didn't actually help out with the stunt. For the most part, she just kinda was there to make it look like we had a secondary base. As the year went on she got better at basing, but at the beginning of the year she honestly didn't do too much.

HA! That girl and I are the same height. I'm 30. Been that height since about middle school.

I flew almost exclusively, but on the rare occasion I was asked to fill in as a base, that's basically what it was. Lord knows I wasn't saving the stunt if it came down because the flyer had 20 lbs and 4 inches on me and I BARELY got a hand on her foot. But we had a secondary!

When I based, it was usually for something really simple that I couldn't screw up and I was paired with beasts who could save if need be. I was NEVER the one under the double up tick tock or any elite because that was an injury waiting to happen!

This is scary yet hilarious at the same time.

HA! That girl and I are the same height. I'm 30. Been that height since about middle school.

I flew almost exclusively, but on the rare occasion I was asked to fill in as a base, that's basically what it was. Lord knows I wasn't saving the stunt if it came down because the girl had 30 lbs and 4 inches on me and I BARELY got a hand on her foot. But we had a secondary!

We always joked that the judges were going to be so confused when they saw that she was the base in the group! She was so small that she barely even touched the foot but it got the job done haha. I was quite the bean pole in high school, still am, so I had about 6 inches on her but I weighed a little under 110.

She's a college cheerleader now and it cracks me up that she ever based me hahaha. Her little sister cheered on the my youth team last year and they're basically the same size. It was too funny.

Your original comment about size was a statement and not a questions so why would anyone answer it?

From your comments I will guess you are very fit and about the same size as some other fliers I know, but sounds like the rest of your team is not physically strong. Not your problem.
I'm sorry but I tend to get disturbed when athletes speak about weight! Muscle weighs more than fat! I'm an ex figure skater with a history of anorexia which I would be more than happy to discuss with anyone privately or openly! My 3 CP's all have different body structures, I don't allow them to weigh themselves, I encourage them to listen to their coaches and condition, and the last is that I'm not a coach, CP's have all been bases, flyers, and understand that when they are placed on a team that the position is for the best needs of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more you make it a big deal, the more the kid makes it a big deal. And this woman (she is in college, right?) made it a big deal.

I'm not an idiot, or a callous person. I'm a recovered anorexic and there no explanation that I've encountered that telling someone to "grab a shoe, princess," would cause a full blown eating disorder. The causes of eating disorders are varied, nuanced and deeply rooted in control issues. I am able to identify children at potential risk, have done so and spoken to parents before, but again she is not a child.

I do think flyers have been made to be the stars of this sport, whether we like it or not- and I don't like it, either as a flyer and as a coach. So when a princess comes in the boards, or comes to me in class, and says "why aren't I flying anymore, basing is so hard and I love being the star" you better believe I am going to shut that down fast. The bigger a deal you make out of it, the bigger a deal it is to them. I'm not completely insensitive and I keep an eye on the kids I coach, and talk to them (and their parents) if necessary. But if you're an adult who can't talk to your coach and come to a forum asking for opinions on why you can no longer be the star? Ughhh. Get over it and grab a dang shoe.
@BowCat...I am in "recovery" from anorexia myself and can totally relate. I was never into cheer but I was a figure skater. One thing that I was taught and agree with is that the disease of Anorexia is just like an alcoholic. You never totally recover. I've fought it for over 20+ yrs and have 3 daughters that I pray for everyday that never go thru the hell and horror that I have!
I advocate strongly for healthy bodies and if anyone needs any advice I can try to help or direct you to someone professional.
To anyone out there...please listen...I'm open and honest because I don't want anyone to endure what I have and still do. I've caused irreversible damage to my heart, plus other issues. Don't focus on weight!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK I just read this thread. I feel like I'm reading a different thread than y'all. Why is everyone so mad at the poor girl? I guess I just don't get why every single person has to be happy with everything. What is wrong with wanting to fly? I have never understood that on here.

When parents want their kids to fly and are disappointed, I get why everyone gets annoyed. But an actual athlete can't be upset and disappointed? Someone used football as an example. Well, I assure you, yes, the football player would be salty too, if he was told to play a position he didn't try out for, and had never played before. Even in field hockey we had positions that we each liked; when she changed it, we'd get frustrated.

I've applied for jobs I wanted and been offered a different position in the same company. Same pay, same "rank," just not the one I wanted. Guess what? I was salty as all get out about it. And I'm a grown woman.

News flash: it's ok to be disappointed and upset when you don't get what you want. It's ok to come to the message board that we all use for support and vent. It's really OK to want to do one thing and not another.

And it really is actually OK to want to be a star. What? Yes, it's true. (and I know the op says she doesn't only want that, but I'd say that too in this crowd) I work with nothing but people who want to be stars. They audition every week for stuff. Sometimes they get starring roles - sometimes they get put in the ensemble. And you know what? They get disappointed and salty about it. And then they move on and sing and dance in the background like it's what they wanted all along. Believe it or not, this is normal, AND OK.

She's said at least 57 times now that she was emotional when she originally posted and STILL people are telling her to get over herself? I think there's quite a few people in this thread that that need to get over themselves. The OP isn't one of them.

I honestly feel like anyone put in the position would be upset. If you spent your break taking stunting classes telling everyone about the skill you just got, being so proud of yourself only to feel like it was in vain.
Yup, can imagine the heartbreak but and disappointment you must be feeling but now it is time to put a positive spin on it and move forward. It is nothing you can take as personal because it really isn't your fault. Take all the effort and desire to be better and learn a position. Who knows, team situations may change and yo may end up in the air again.

Time to show the coach how good you are all around.

Good luck.

Back