All-Star From Les Stella (the Rulesguy) About Cea Live Show

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think the other potential issues are in the pyramid, with needing certain amounts of catchers and connections being maintained for longer through some transitions, but I haven't really watched it since sunday and didn't watch it looking for violations. But I'm sure she'll have those fixed.

Thanks.

While I do not admire the job of Les Stella, because I'm sure he hears quite a bit from the upset coaches.. I'm not sure I agree with his calling CEA out on these issues. Sure take it up with the coaches from whatever gym, that's why he is there as a resource - but, putting a program on blast is something we haven't been permitted to do in the past.

Furthermore, anyone willing to steal choreography or copy what CEA did on Sunday - in my opinion, are deserving of the deductions they will encounter.

Chair:

TossChair.jpg

Thank you!!

I think Les was doing everyone a favor including himself and CEA. Coaches believe that if a program like CEA, top gun, Cali does something it must be legal cause surely they found a way around the rules. I think Les' intentions were to clarify that not everything we've seen is legal and that if you take inspiration from what they've done then you too could get penalties . Legalities are aeound to keep our girls safe. Sometimes pushing the envelope could get comeone seriously injured. Courtney is a smart lady, she will make appropriate changes, and would not knowingly put legalities on the floor. To assume that taking inspiration and copying are the one in the same is flawed.as a coach I am always looking at other programs and trying to see how they are working the score sheet and legalities. That is how you make your team competitive. Very few good coaches would copy something exactly.

Many asked this past weekend for someone like Les to give their opinion on if things were legal or not. Since the showcase was open to the public I see nothing wrong with him commenting that things were not legal. He watched just like everyone else so why not comment on it just like everyone else was.

I think Les was doing everyone a favor including himself and CEA. Coaches believe that if a program like CEA, top gun, Cali does something it must be legal cause surely they found a way around the rules. I think Les' intentions were to clarify that not everything we've seen is legal and that if you take inspiration from what they've done then you too could get penalties . Legalities are aeound to keep our girls safe. Sometimes pushing the envelope could get comeone seriously injured. Courtney is a smart lady, she will make appropriate changes, and would not knowingly put legalities on the floor. To assume that taking inspiration and copying are the one in the same is flawed.as a coach I am always looking at other programs and trying to see how they are working the score sheet and legalities. That is how you make your team competitive. Very few good coaches would copy something exactly.

I believe this is exactly why it was done. Heck I went and rechecked my rules for about 10 different things after watching their routines to see what I personally may have misunderstood. If things I though were illegal were actually legal then I can completely change the way I am approaching things. Whether they choose to be or not they are a program a lot of other programs aspire to be and look to as being role models. If they do things that are illegal smaller programs will think those skills are legal and emulate them. Les was probably saving himself a LOT of trouble later.

You can see it now: a team goes and competes the RO HS Rewind (braced or unbraced its illegal) and then gets hit with an illegality. Team is devastated. Coach is crestfallen. The argument was made they saw CEA do it. Though CEA never competed it and technically did nothing wrong, their example was broadcast across the internet and many people (coaches, athletes, gyms, parents) would miss the context of the performance.

While I gotta give it to CEA for putting on a show and allowing it to be broadcasted (and giving out music and so forth) it does put them under a microscope and brings with it certain responsibilities.

Yes, Saturday - Jamfest in Winston-Salem & Sunday - Cheersport in Charlotte

I believe this is exactly why it was done. Heck I went and rechecked my rules for about 10 different things after watching their routines to see what I personally may have misunderstood. If things I though were illegal were actually legal then I can completely change the way I am approaching things. Whether they choose to be or not they are a program a lot of other programs aspire to be and look to as being role models. If they do things that are illegal smaller programs will think those skills are legal and emulate them. Les was probably saving himself a LOT of trouble later.

You can see it now: a team goes and competes the RO HS Rewind (braced or unbraced its illegal) and then gets hit with an illegality. Team is devastated. Coach is crestfallen. The argument was made they saw CEA do it. Though CEA never competed it and technically did nothing wrong, their example was broadcast across the internet and many people (coaches, athletes, gyms, parents) would miss the context of the performance.

While I gotta give it to CEA for putting on a show and allowing it to be broadcasted (and giving out music and so forth) it does put them under a microscope and brings with it certain responsibilities.

I agree. My only question about the OP was it is clearly made by someone who is the authority on rules and identified as such, done I'm certain for the right reasons without knowing the volume and content of all the texts I'll bet he has gotten, but very tert and non specific. It left me as someone intimately involved with SE wondering how many things were illegal in their routine. I still do not know for certain, so I asked the staff and the board. Seems my original impression was incorrect, as it appears to be one area that is fixable. I think the vast majority of discussion the Showcase has generated here has been very good. And anything that clarifies the rules is a good thing.

Are you saying there is only one element in that routine that was illegal and that it is easily corrected?

Are you saying there is only one element in that routine that was illegal and that it is easily corrected?

That is what I'm told by the staff. She seems more concerned about execution and skills, not illegalities. But as I said, I am not one to ask about rules or specifics. I'm more of a big picture kind of person. Again, the OP was:

While the show was fun and impressive to watch, please understand that there were numerous things that were illegal for competition. If you choose to copy some of the skills you saw, be prepared to accept penalties.

And I assume that is speaking more to the total gym than any one team.

The majority of things have been pointed out already. Spotting tumbling into stunts, releasing in braced inversions.
Interesting, would you mind pointing out to me where this is located. According to the teal folks there is one easily correctable element. From others, there seems to be more. I'm a little curious as to the official-ness of the legalities.

Good grief, Les is asked to come on here and give his opinion on whether there were illegalities and when he did there are negative comments about it. I thought he addressed it in the nicest most professinal way possible. I am also willing to bet that he would be more than happy to discuss the specifics with CEA privately if needed. No wonder the USASF avoids clarifying issues here or otherwise.

Top gun has pushed the limits on legalities several times, I think it's great for our sport. It was a showing clearly the POPE herself knows what she is doing. I can't wait to she what she changes to make those things officially legal.

Back